The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Time Outs

When should an official notify the coach of the number of time outs they have left?
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 09:31pm
In Memoriam

When they have none left.

NFHS rule 2-11-6.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 09:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Less Is Best ...

Some advocate advising the head coach when he has one left. I'm not one of them. If you, or the scorekeeper, screwup, tell the coach he has one left, when he really has none left, and he uses that "one left", he's going to be one pissed off coach when you charge his team with a technical foul for requesting, and being granted, an excess timeout. Stick to the rulebook, "Coach, that was your last timeout."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 10:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Are these test questions?
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

From a scorer's point of view, the scorer should be in continual communication about TOs & Fouls to the coach.

However too many scorers at the lower levels have no idea what it means to communicate whatsoever, or they're too busy with their own things to even care about letting the coach know.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
From a scorer's point of view, the scorer should be in continual communication about TOs & Fouls to the coach.
Ah, no, the scorer shouldn't.

The scorer's job is to work with the officials, record fouls, keep score, and record timeouts.

The coach is free to have a statistician on his bench to record the same information and verify it with the scorer from time to time.

The coach should only go to the table when allowed by rule. He cannot go to the table to check on fouls or timeouts. Asst. coaches should only be allowed at the table during halftime. At no other time should an asst. ever be at the table.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

A player's 3rd, 4th, & 5th fouls & when down to 1 time out is how I was taught for when to communicate to the coach. Some coaches would rather have every foul known to them. That was 10+ years ago when I was last scorer. Times change as do the rules.

In the situations I am talking about are lower-level games where there's only one coach for a team (no statistician). The scorers' table is close to the benches where communication is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ah, no, the scorer shouldn't.

The scorer's job is to work with the officials, record fouls, keep score, and record timeouts.

The coach is free to have a statistician on his bench to record the same information and verify it with the scorer from time to time.

The coach should only go to the table when allowed by rule. He cannot go to the table to check on fouls or timeouts. Asst. coaches should only be allowed at the table during halftime. At no other time should an asst. ever be at the table.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Only for Varsity have I seen statisticians being used, where they are at the old scorers' table with laptops & printer. I have never seen a statistician approach the scorers' table to compare with the scorebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Here it is common practice in a tight game for the officials to ask the scorer and then notify the coaches how many timeouts they have remaining. I also communicate with the bench regarding fouls but only if a kid has 2 first half fouls, 3 and 4 fouls. One of the assistants charts fouls on the bench as a check to my book in case I can't get their attention. When I do stats for JV girls I also do this so that the coach knows about foul trouble before the scorer opens their mouth.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

This question (and another of Sure's) look alot like our "Tournament Consideration" exam questions.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockitoff View Post
This question (and another of Sure's) look alot like our "Tournament Consideration" exam questions.
If it's an open book exam (and it would appear to be), what's the issue with asking? The idea behind open book exams is that the process of finding the answer teaches the student. If that's not what they want, they need to proctor the exam.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
If it's an open book exam (and it would appear to be), what's the issue with asking? The idea behind open book exams is that the process of finding the answer teaches the student. If that's not what they want, they need to proctor the exam.
The issue is that the answer can usually be found in either the rule book or case book without a great degree of effort being involved either. And that's how you learn the rules. You sureasheck aren't learning 'em just by asking questions here and copying the answers that you're given. In that case the student isn't really learning a damn thing.

The idea is to put a little time and effort into learning the rules. I might have put more time and effort into looking up the correct rules citation than the OP did in posting his question. Jmo but you should post questions after you fail to find them in the book(s).

My apologies to surehands if he did try to look up the answers first......

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 09:08am.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The issue is that the answer can usually be found in either the rule book or case book without a great degree of effort being involved either. And that's how you learn the rules. You sureasheck aren't learning 'em just by asking questions here and copying the answers that you're given. In that case the student isn't really learning a damn thing.

The idea is to put a little time and effort into learning the rules. I put more time and effort into looking up the correct rules citation than the OP did in posting his question.
I agree that looking for the answer in the rules book and case book is better, but again if that's what you want proctor the exam. If you don't proctor the exam, all you're really testing is whether the take is capable of finding the answer in time. And you will learn from that process, but not as well.

If getting rules explained by other officials is wrong, we need to just shut the whole forum down. If you want to test whether your officials know the rules, you need to proctor the exam.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Some advocate advising the head coach when he has one left. I'm not one of them. If you, or the scorekeeper, screwup, tell the coach he has one left, when he really has none left, and he uses that "one left", he's going to be one pissed off coach when you charge his team with a technical foul for requesting, and being granted, an excess timeout. Stick to the rulebook, "Coach, that was your last timeout."
I always say "Coach, the official book says you are out of timeouts." Using the same logic, if he really has one left, I feel I'm more off the hook by saying it this way.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
If getting rules explained by other officials is wrong, we need to just shut the whole forum down. If you want to test whether your officials know the rules, you need to proctor the exam.
I never said, or implied, that getting rules explained by other officials is wrong....except in the case where a poster is doing so to avoid opening up the rule books and doing a little work on their own. I have no idea if that is the case with regards to surehands, but if it is, he's only cheating himself. You learn the rules by studying the rules. If you're not sure, ask away. But do some work first. There are no shortcuts.

As I also said, just my opinion.

We clear now where I'm coming from?