The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

30- and 60-second time-outs

On the way out last night, the visiting coach (who was a very pleasant lady, even after getting beat by 45 points) asked me a question about 30-second time-outs.

She said something like: I know the players have to stay on the floor, but can the other players come off the bench and get in a circle on the court.

The only restriction I know of in NFHS ball is that there should be no on-court entertainment during the 30-second time-out. Is there anything else that was put forward nationally?

I know other officials say things like "no chairs," "players must stay on the floor," but I get the feeling all of this is hooey, myths that then become part of the rules. I told her that there was no restriction that I was aware of in high school basketball other than the warning horn is at 15 seconds and the team should be getting ready to play at the warning horn, ready to go on the second horn.

Thanks for any manual, casebook, or rulebook citations you may have.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Here's what the NCAA says about this

Rule 5-13, Art. 2. During any timeout, bench personnel and players shall locate themselves inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Rich, you are correct. There was an NFHS ruling a few years ago which stated that the rest of the team could come out onto the court and join in the huddle as the coach would be giving instructions. I believe this was made in a comment on the rules when the time-out length was changed from 20 to 30. I'll go check my books for you.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

I know my original post may have been confusing since I was mixing real rules with myths pretty haphazardly.

Also, I know 5-12-5 requires players to remain standing during the 30. The confines of the bench area is similarly defined as in the NCAA in 1-13-3 and both 30s and 60s have to be conducted there. Nothing about players having to be on the court, just standing. That's the myth I was referring to.

The real question I have has to do with other team personnel, which Nevada picked up on.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 10:36am.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I know my original post may have been confusing since I was mixing real rules with myths pretty haphazardly.

Also, I know 5-12-5 requires players to remain standing during the 30. The confines of the bench area is similarly defined as in the NCAA in 1-13-3 and both 30s and 60s have to be conducted there. Nothing about players having to be on the court, just standing. That's the myth I was referring to.

The real question I have has to do with other team personnel, which Nevada picked up on.
And your real question was clarified by the NFHS back in the 2001-02 Comments on the Rules Revisions. It was longer ago than I thought. That was the year that the NFHS added the requirement that players must remain standing during a 30-second time-out.

REQUIREMENT TO STAND DURING 30-SECOND TIME-OUT (5-12-5):
To clarify and ensure consistent interpretation, during a 30-second time-out, players shall remain standing and on the floor in the vicinity of their team bench. Additional discussion reflected concerns about some states not enforcing the 'no cheerleaders' on the floor during a 30-second time-out and whether or not substitutes should be permitted to join the conference with the coach(es) and players. Because of instructions that may be given, the interpretation has been that team substitutes should be able to participate in the time-out meeting.
A reminder that teams must be prepared and leave the huddle when the 10-second warning signal is sounded.

*Note the warning signal was changed to 15 seconds prior to the end of the time-out period in the 2007-08 season.

Good job, Rich. You gave the coach the proper ruling.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And your real question was clarified by the NFHS back in the 2001-02 Comments on the Rules Revisions. It was longer ago than I thought. That was the year that the NFHS added the requirement that players must remain standing during a 30-second time-out.

REQUIREMENT TO STAND DURING 30-SECOND TIME-OUT (5-12-5):
To clarify and ensure consistent interpretation, during a 30-second time-out, players shall remain standing and on the floor in the vicinity of their team bench. Additional discussion reflected concerns about some states not enforcing the 'no cheerleaders' on the floor during a 30-second time-out and whether or not substitutes should be permitted to join the conference with the coach(es) and players. Because of instructions that may be given, the interpretation has been that team substitutes should be able to participate in the time-out meeting.
A reminder that teams must be prepared and leave the huddle when the 10-second warning signal is sounded.

*Note the warning signal was changed to 15 seconds prior to the end of the time-out period in the 2007-08 season.

Good job, Rich. You gave the coach the proper ruling.
Except for the part where they are to remain "on the floor." I did miss that.

I emailed the coach. She will probably think I'm crazy for including a 7-year-old passage, but I think she deserved a better answer than I gave her last night, although I was pretty much correct.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Except for the part where they are to remain "on the floor." I did miss that.

I emailed the coach. She will probably think I'm crazy for including a 7-year-old passage, but I think she deserved a better answer than I gave her last night, although I was pretty much correct.
YOU'RE crazy?!?! How about me?

I knew that I had read the ruling before and also exactly where to find it! Sometimes I'm amazed at how my own mind works. It shouldn't be long before BillyMac comes along to tell me how sick it is that I can come up with a seven year-old ruling in just a few minutes.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
YOU'RE crazy?!?! How about me?

I knew that I had read the ruling before and also exactly where to find it! Sometimes I'm amazed at how my own mind works. It shouldn't be long before BillyMac comes along to tell me how sick it is that I can come up with a seven year-old ruling in just a few minutes.
And when he does, I'll second it.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And when he does, I'll second it.
Shut up.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think the myth comes about because during the interval to replace a DQ'd player, the coach can talk to the players but the other team members may not stand.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Driver does not carry cash.

[QUOTE=Nevadaref;580741 It shouldn't be long before BillyMac comes along to tell me how sick it is that I can come up with a seven year-old ruling in just a few minutes.[/QUOTE]

I never said that you were "sick". I just think that it's an amazing ability. Wish I cold do the same.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No postage necessary if mailed in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think the myth comes about because during the interval to replace a DQ'd player, the coach can talk to the players but the other team members may not stand.
Sounds right, but, as usual, for me, citation please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i think the myth comes about because during the interval to replace a dq'd player, the coach can talk to the players but the other team members may not stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
sounds right, but, as usual, for me, citation please.
2003-04 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

5. Substituting -- Player disqualifications

F. Only the head coach is permitted to be standing during this interval.

Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds right, but, as usual, for me, citation please.

Try rule 10 -- when are bench personnel allowed to stand? Is this situation one of those times?

Not trying to be harsh, but you'd remember more if the interps (like NevadaRef) iand know where to find them (like NevadaRef) if you'd spend more time trying to find them in the first place (like NevadaRef).

(grammatical errors intentional).
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 09:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
(grammatical errors intentional).
Is this code for, "Yeah, I see them, but I don't want to go back and fix them"?