The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Questions From Scrimmage

1) Is it a violation if the free thrower dribbles the ball over the free throw line, but keeps her feet behind the line. Saw this while observing a scrimmage. Would you call it "leaving"?

2) If the official catches the ball in play, should he drop it, or if he holds onto it for a few seconds blow it dead and go with POI? Saw this also. The Trail official had a match up in the corner toward the baseline while the ball is being passed at the top of the key. It was a pretty competitive matchup between 2 big post players who were both toward the baseline corner in the Trails area. He (I guess glances) out of the corner of his eye and sees the ball coming in his direction. By the time he notices it he reacts and catches it while standing inbounds. I dont blame him when it was passed pretty hard right at face level and he didn't see it coming in time. He holds onto it for about a second, then drops it and the defensive player grabs it and goes the length of the court. Before she lays it up the official realizes what he had done and blows the action dead and goes with POI for the team who was in control at the time of his catching.

Just wanted to know everyones reaction on how to call/handle these plays. Thanks!
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 11:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. No, it's nothing. It's been happening for decades, perhaps even score.
2. If I make the mistake of catching it, I'll probably go POI. If I'm forced to defend my face from an incoming projectile, I'll likely bat it down if I can't dodge it completely. In that case, play on; and if the defense gets an easy layup at the other end of the court, shame on the offense for not playing defense.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
1) Is it a violation if the free thrower dribbles the ball over the free throw line, but keeps her feet behind the line. Saw this while observing a scrimmage. Would you call it "leaving"?

2) If the official catches the ball in play, should he drop it, or if he holds onto it for a few seconds blow it dead and go with POI?

Just wanted to know everyones reaction on how to call/handle these plays. Thanks!
1. NO

2. How about simply NOT catching a live ball inbounds?? If I ever do catch it, best believe I'm getting a shot off!!
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Concerning question number 1: How familar are you with the game?
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On every free throw that has ever been attempted (except when Wilt Chamberlin used to back up - run - jump - and dunk his FT's), the shooter has bounced the ball over the FT line. I would not calling it "leaving"....I would call it "normal"....

btw...DON'T catch the ball as on official during the game. It will make your life A LOT easier...(if for no other reason than figuring out how to resume the game... )
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
On every free throw that has ever been attempted (except when Wilt Chamberlin used to back up - run - jump - and dunk his FT's), the shooter has bounced the ball over the FT line. I would not calling it "leaving"....I would call it "normal"....
Nick Van Exel...
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

1. No violation. If you notice, every free throw shooter that's anywhere near the free throw line dribbles the ball in the lane...

2. If an official by chance catches the ball, I would say drop it and play on. There is nothing in the rules that say blow it dead and go to the POI. Best case scenario, just bat the ball down and note your location. If you're inbounds, then play on. Otherwise, you're out of bounds, and so is the ball. If the defense benefits, that'll teach the offense not to pass it to the stripes!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I just noticed these instances during the scrimmage. I agree with the free throw situation and he didn't call it which was good. As far as the catching the passed ball. It was thrown pretty hard at the girl who was cutting but she quickly cut back after the pass was released. Thank God it wasnt me who caught it, but it was a good laugh between us officials and himself.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=CDurham;701041]1) 2) If the official catches the ball in play, should he drop it, or if he holds onto it for a few seconds blow it dead and go with POI? Saw this also. The Trail official had a match up in the corner toward the baseline while the ball is being passed at the top of the key. It was a pretty competitive matchup between 2 big post players who were both toward the baseline corner in the Trails area. He (I guess glances) out of the corner of his eye and sees the ball coming in his direction. By the time he notices it he reacts and catches it while standing inbounds. I dont blame him when it was passed pretty hard right at face level and he didn't see it coming in time. He holds onto it for about a second, then drops it and the defensive player grabs it and goes the length of the court. Before she lays it up the official realizes what he had done and blows the action dead and goes with POI for the team who was in control at the time of his catching.

To answer this questions, I actually lived this once . The offensive player thought I was a teammates and passed me the ball my instinct cause me to catch it. I just dropped it and play continued.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=truerookie;701135]
Quote:
1) 2) If the official catches the ball in play, should he drop it, or if he holds onto it for a few seconds blow it dead and go with POI? Saw this also. The Trail official had a match up in the corner toward the baseline while the ball is being passed at the top of the key. It was a pretty competitive matchup between 2 big post players who were both toward the baseline corner in the Trails area. He (I guess glances) out of the corner of his eye and sees the ball coming in his direction. By the time he notices it he reacts and catches it while standing inbounds. I dont blame him when it was passed pretty hard right at face level and he didn't see it coming in time. He holds onto it for about a second, then drops it and the defensive player grabs it and goes the length of the court. Before she lays it up the official realizes what he had done and blows the action dead and goes with POI for the team who was in control at the time of his catching.

I would imagine it wouldnt be hard to catch it especially if you are unaware and happen to turn while it is 2 inches from your face.

To answer this questions, I actually lived this once . The offensive player thought I was a teammates and passed me the ball my instinct cause me to catch it. I just dropped it and play continued.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 08:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Since the officials are the third "team" on the court, your catch constituted team control, and dropping the ball was the start of your dribble.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 08:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Since the officials are the third "team" on the court, your catch constituted team control, and dropping the ball was the start of your dribble.
Yep, best next move is an outlet pass to the shot clock operator.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 09:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yep, best next move is an outlet pass to the shot clock operator.
Naw, hit Cheasgle in mid-stride and watch him do a 360 slam with a degree of difficulty of 5.9.

He's doing everything else for us.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 09:27pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
C'Mon Jurassic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Naw, hit Cheasgle in mid-stride and watch him do a 360 slam with a degree of difficulty of 5.9.
On his bad wheels?
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

He's doing everything else for us.
Thanks for helping with the medical bills, if that did happen.

When I'm doing the shot clock I'm watching the ball at all times, when timer I watch both the ball & nearest floor official. If not at the table I'm either standing beyond the endline against the wall near a gym entrance or sitting in the stands.

Jurassic, I see you're back to being a Tyrannosaurus Rex.