Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 03:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Forum ? Polite ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Would her religion permit her to sit on the bench until the Sabbath is over (sundown). I'm assuming she's Jewish, but I don't know how the requirement works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Usually the issue is driving (or being driven) somewhere, as observant Jews won't use powered devices during Shabbat. Doing so is often interpreted as falling under the prohibition of working.
Quote:
Personal interest, really, in understanding the intricacies of various religions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
There are other religions with similiar beliefs regarding the Sabbath, not just Judaism.
Quote:
True, but the only other one that observes the Sabbath on Saturday I'm aware of is Seventh Day Adventist.
There's an old saying that you should never discuss sex, politics or religion in polite company.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There's an old saying that you should never discuss sex, politics or religion in polite company.
But this is not exactly polite company.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
But this is not exactly polite company.
+ 1 ! <><
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Call the UIL or appropriate Texas sanctioning body and the involved officials association and ask them about the rules regarding this incident. I don't believe there is a NFHS rule for this instance.I have served as a scorekeeper at the varsity level for several years (Entering 6'th BV season and 5'th GV season)and all my officials care about is that the number of people in the book match what is on court. I always put the entire roster in the book and then write DNP next to whoever is being held out for whatever reason.
In this case the officials would've counted the book and saw one more player listed than was warming up on court.This is fine-I had a player once miss the bus but still play in the game (She showed up midway through the first quarter). She was listed on the appropriate roster I submitted to the host scorekeeper at deadline and in both books.We had no issue.Curious to see what the sanctioning body's and official's chapter response is to this incident.Keep us posted!

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sun Nov 14, 2010 at 08:39pm.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I'll be emailing and/or calling the UIL (and maybe TASO?) tomorrow, looking for something in writing to keep on hand. Also will be checking w/ the other school to see about tracking down the officials' chapter or at least their assignor to touch base with them as well.
I will update the thread down the road.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but the only other one that observes the Sabbath on Saturday I'm aware of is Seventh Day Adventist.
No, they're far from the only one. There are quite a few Sabbatarian organizations that observe the Sabbath from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday. Some are split groups of Seventh Day Adventist, but many have no affiliation with SDA. Hubert Armstrong's Worldwide Church of God was a huge Sabbath-keeping organization, although they operate under a different name now. There's even a Seveth Day Baptist denomination.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I was at a preseason clinic this weekend and a question about having more players listed in the book then are present was a problem. The instructors stated it was not a problem and that if a kid showed up who is listed in the book there is no rule preventing the kid from playing.

Also listening to Seton Hall game today on the radio and one of the players showed up after the game started because of a death in his family and it was not an issue for him to play.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 09:45pm
M.A.S.H.

Yep... don't go looking for trouble. More than likely, the player is going to be able to play. Check local listings.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Never heard of such in Texas, UIL or NFHS. I can give you the name of the Rules Interpreter for the UIL if you like. We simply check bodies to names in the book; if there are more names that is okay. They may be in the locker room for all I know.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 11:43am
Back from the DL

Lukester,

If it comes upon you to fight this rule, here's some possible ammunition: Look up NFHS rule 3-5-7.

To paraphrase, it says that jewelry is forbidden, unless worn for religious reasons (medical alert, too). If you have to, push that angle.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Update/resolution

Okay - bottom line as everyone here confirmed/suspected... no such rule w/ the U.I.L., or any other league body that might have anything to do w/ this game (nor is it anywhere in the NFHS rules, obviously).

Yesterday, the official who made the "ruling" tracked down a phone number for one of our team organization's board members and telephoned to say that he was wrong. He apologized for getting it wrong.

I was already in contact before that w/ the U.I.L. rules interpreter and hope to still get something in writing to keep on hand to avoid any such "phantom ruling" in the future...

Thanks again for all the quick input & confirmation.

Lkstr
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thanks for the follow up. Give him credit for owning up to his mistake.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the follow up. Give him credit for owning up to his mistake.
Half credit. Cockamamie mistake.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 01:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Half credit. Cockamamie mistake.
Good point. I'd still like to know from which orifice this ruling was pulled.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a h.s. teammate that was a practicing SDA. He missed the entire first half of our team's championship game my senior year.

We made a nice comeback in the 2nd half when he arrived, but, too little too late.

We lost.

I have no hostility towards SDAs.