The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 16, 2010, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

AP Throw in

Hey guys. I just want to make sure that I have a good understanding of when during an AP throw in, we switch the arrow and when we do not switch the arrow. I have 2 cases below.

1. During an AP throw in, thrower A1 holds the ball through the end line plane and B1 grabs it, resulting in a held ball. RULING: Since the throw in had not ended and no violation occurred it is still A's ball for the throw in.

My question is ----> for the throw in following the held ball, once that throw in has ended, we do switch the arrow, correct??

2. During an AP throw in, A1 releases the ball on a throw in and B1 illegally kicks the ball. RULING: Since the throw in was illegally touched by B1 when he kicked the ball resulting in a violation, Team A is awarded a throw in and keeps the arrow. Correct????

The difference between these situations is the fact that the throw ended in #2 with the illegal kick and in #1 the throw in never ended when A1 placed the ball over the end line and B1 grabbed the ball??

Thanks for your help!
Old Sat Oct 16, 2010, 10:39am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettoref View Post
Hey guys. I just want to make sure that I have a good understanding of when during an AP throw in, we switch the arrow and when we do not switch the arrow. I have 2 cases below.

1. During an AP throw in, thrower A1 holds the ball through the end line plane and B1 grabs it, resulting in a held ball. RULING: Since the throw in had not ended and no violation occurred it is still A's ball for the throw in.

My question is ----> for the throw in following the held ball, once that throw in has ended, we do switch the arrow, correct??
Yes, once the throw-in has ended (4-42-5). Check out 6.4.5 Situation B for your situation.

Quote:
2. During an AP throw in, A1 releases the ball on a throw in and B1 illegally kicks the ball. RULING: Since the throw in was illegally touched by B1 when he kicked the ball resulting in a violation, Team A is awarded a throw in and keeps the arrow. Correct????
Correct. Awarded a (new) throw-in due to the violation. Their AP throw-in never ended so they keep the AP arrow.

Quote:
The difference between these situations is the fact that the throw ended in #2 with the illegal kick and in #1 the throw in never ended when A1 placed the ball over the end line and B1 grabbed the ball??

Thanks for your help!
No, technically the AP throw-in hasn't ended because it was touched illegally. 4-42-5a

4-42-5
6.4.5 Situation A
6.4.5 Situation B

Last edited by tjones1; Sat Oct 16, 2010 at 10:46am. Reason: References
Old Sat Oct 16, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

In both plays, the throw-in never ended. However, look at it more from the perspective of "Why is this team awarded the ball for a throw-in the second time?".

In the first situation, they are getting the ball as a result of a held ball, so since the original throw-in never ended, they retain the arrow for the second throw-in. The arrow is then switched when the throw-in ends.

In the second situation, the team is awarded a throw-in as a result of a kicked ball. Since the AP throw-in never ended, the arrow is not to be switched, so the team simply has a throw-in as a result of a violation.
Old Sat Oct 16, 2010, 08:50pm
M.A.S.H.

Also, you can also check out 4.42.5. This isn't a new interp; however, they've added a comment.