The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 03:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The school pays (say) $100 to the officials, who give $8 to the assigner.

Or, the school pays $92 to the officials and $8 to the assigner.

Or, the school pays $100 to the assigner who sends $92 to the officials.

It seems everyone ends up with the same amount of money under either scenario. So, unless one method is more efficient than the other, or there are some "legal" ramifications (the latter could lead to an employment relationship, for example), it doesn't seem to matter much.
In our case the school pays $100 to the association which in turn pays $92 to the officials and $8 to the commissioner.

But, for some reason, the commissioner receives a one-time $15-25 (not sure the amount) fee from each school before the season. Don't know what that fee is for.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is pretty much standard practice for just about any similar type of operation...officiating or otherwise. Not sure why he's so worked up about it.
Because it's tantamount to a kickback. That's an unethical practice.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 01:08am.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 01:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I do not know if I would go that far. But the practice might violate some other laws if there is some kind of legal action taken place. Something like that happened here because of a kind of "kick back." But if that is the policy I would not consider that a kick back if that is the standard. I just think it is silly. If you are going to pay the officials, it should not be based on what the fee you decide to give the assignor.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

From the UIL (Texas' governing body for HS Sports):A(n) (officials) chapter that requests a service/assignor fee from schools will not be a chapter in
good standing...

For the Texas officials doing sub varsity games who are upset about the assignor's fee, the recent change to the pay scale should soften some of the blow: 2 sub varsity games plus mileage = $92. One varsity game plus mileage = $67.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 08:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No, it's tantamount to paying a commission. Just like entertainers and athletes pay to their agents. The commissioner is a receiving a fee for service.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In my association, commissioner's fee is 8% of our game fees and each school pays a nominal annual scheduling fee to the commissioner.

As far as dues, $40 to register with the association (plus $10 for newcomers/transfers) and $40 to the State ($25 if already registered in another sport).
or $125. for a newbie !
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

That does not sound out of the question. Many associations in my area allow officials that are new to come to the group for free for the first year and observe. But after all your fees you will have to pay. A $125 can be made in one or two games (or dates) so I see that as very reasonable.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 03:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, it's tantamount to paying a commission. Just like entertainers and athletes pay to their agents. The commissioner is a receiving a fee for service.
I have no problem at all with an assignment fee. Those guys spend lots of time getting their games booked and should be compensated. One previous assignor took a flat fee based on number of games booked, which I thought was very generous. Another charged $2 per game. I think the associations have a booking fee that is assessed to the schools down here. Nobody should work for free. And if you [not the quoted poster] think that assignors are any different, perhaps you would like to trade places. For no fee of course.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 03:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown View Post
From the UIL (Texas' governing body for HS Sports):A(n) (officials) chapter that requests a service/assignor fee from schools will not be a chapter in
good standing...

For the Texas officials doing sub varsity games who are upset about the assignor's fee, the recent change to the pay scale should soften some of the blow: 2 sub varsity games plus mileage = $92. One varsity game plus mileage = $67.

Unless you're doing Jr High, then it is $72 or $75 for two games depending on how far out the school is.

But the assigning fee for a Jr High game was $1.50 vs $2.50 (or was it $3.00?) for a varsity game.

I don't mind paying a fee for game assignments, but officials that work only subvarsity or cannot work may games end up paying a higher rate, which is what I don't care for.

Varsity games are also underpaid in my opinion.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welpe View Post
varsity games are also underpaid in my opinion.
+1
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure we don't pay assigning fees. I got the full amount in my checks that I was told I would get. Our assignor is also an official. Right now as I type this, all the area schools are in town for the officials draft. The schools pick two and the association assigns the third man to the crew for varsity games. The jv/hr. high games are assigned at the meetings we have.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Unless you're doing Jr High, then it is $72 or $75 for two games depending on how far out the school is.

But the assigning fee for a Jr High game was $1.50 vs $2.50 (or was it $3.00?) for a varsity game.

I don't mind paying a fee for game assignments, but officials that work only subvarsity or cannot work may games end up paying a higher rate, which is what I don't care for.

Varsity games are also underpaid in my opinion.
What are the new fees?? Was this given out at a meeting, or is the new UIL fee where now you get a flat mileage rate depending on the radius from address to contest?

Some officials call more than others, there are times when I can only do a date a week. While the fee is rather high, I just pay.

Hey are you going to contract night?
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 01:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
What are the new fees?? Was this given out at a meeting, or is the new UIL fee where now you get a flat mileage rate depending on the radius from address to contest?
It is the new UIL 1204 fee structure. $30 / game for Jr High, $40 / game for sub-varsity. You are correct, mileage is a flat fee based upon radius. $12 for a 20 mile radius, $15 for 30 miles and $18 for 40 miles.

Quote:
Hey are you going to contract night?
Not I as I am 99.9999% positive that I won't have any contracts.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It is the new UIL 1204 fee structure. $30 / game for Jr High, $40 / game for sub-varsity. You are correct, mileage is a flat fee based upon radius. $12 for a 20 mile radius, $15 for 30 miles and $18 for 40 miles.

Not I as I am 99.9999% positive that I won't have any contracts.
How did you come to that conclusion?? This isnt your first year it?? Your in second correct?
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 02:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Yes, it's my second year. I did not attend a 3 whistle camp this summer so I don't believe I even qualify to work varsity games this year.