The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Software for Officials

Ok Guys and Gals, I am looking for a software program that I can keep track of my schedule that i can export to outlook and then sync with my smartphone or Google calendar. I have looked at and used Officials Record Keeper but it is very limited as to what you can do with it as far as exporting the calendar and and game info. If anyone has any suggestions please post them or email me. thanks in advance.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Why not just enter it into your Outlook or Google calendar in the first place? My Google calendar stays open in my browser all day long and as soon as I get ANYTHING, it gets entered there along with information such as partners, game fee, etc. Granted, I work an office job and can be around a computer most of the day. Within 15 mins, my Blackberry has synched with my Google calendar and I'm all up to date. If you keep it up to date, you can easily see conflicts, etc. when you go to enter the new info, and I never accept a date w/o first looking at my phone or online calendar to confirm availability.

Within my Google calendar account, I actually have three separate calendars. One for personal stuff, one for work stuff, one for reffing stuff, etc, that you can choose to show or hide. You can sync some, all, or none these individual calendars to your mobile device.

I guess I just don't see the point of reinventing the wheel. I get that some people would rather keep paper calendars, but if you're even a little bit technologically minded (especially if you have a smart phone), this in my opinion is really the way to go.

Of course, I'm always willing to listen to ideas to improve my methods. I've been using this system in one form or another for going on four years now and I have all of my info, all the way back to the very first entry I made. If you guys aren't too paranoid about "big brother Google", they make some great products.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

We use Arbiter Sports as the assigning program. Our assignor gives us games on the website, officials go on to accept or decline, and then you can export your game schedule to the outlook calendar file format. That's what I do for high school soccer and basketball. Volleyball, however, our assignor is using the pen and paper method still. I just type those games into my calendar. After I get my games onto my calendar, I just sync it with my phone.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Yea I don't have a lot of Experience with Google Calendar but I am going ti have to gt used to it cause i am getting a new phone with the Android operating system and I will have to use it. as far as the Arbiter goesit doesn't export all of the information that i would like to have in the game information. Officials Record Keeper is the perfect program except you cant export the game information.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:31am
Archaic Power Monger

I keep detailed records in an Access database I created and my basic schedule on my Gmail calendar synced to my iPhone. Gmail is quite easy to use so you should be able to figure it out quickly.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 10:23am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I keep detailed records in an Access database I created and my basic schedule on my Gmail calendar synced to my iPhone. Gmail is quite easy to use so you should be able to figure it out quickly.
Agreed. You shouldn't have any problems figuring out Gmail calendar. If you have any experience with Outlook calendar it is very similiar.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

The good thing about having a Droid is that your phone syncs the Google calendar automatically when you add something to it. I put some stuff on mine last night and it popped up on my phone within a minute.