The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

I am helping the local AAU assignor to find software that either connects to the web and can publish information or is all web based that officials can log into and enter info.

Most software they want you to enter the teams first and then assign officials based of courts and teams.

Here is an example of what I am needing:
--------------------

If we had a tourney of 200 games, then we would have to enter the indvidually.

What I would like to see is, a create tourney option. It would ask how many games in the tourney, and then the option to specify, 6 games 8 - 12, 5 games from 1-5.

--------------------

Anyone have recommendations?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I would like to know the same thing!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Our Association has used a software called The Arbiter for over 5 years. It has great options and the company will incorporate any special needs you have at no additional charge. Go to thearbiter.net for a free demo and additional information.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

We used to use EZ Schedule. They went out of business.

A couple years ago, we bought Sportspak. They went out of business and sold the rights to support. Now it's over $100.00 an hour to just get the most basic of questions answered.

We've heard nothing but good about Arbiter which has been around since 1984. That will be our next (and hopefully final) purchase.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Mar 30th, 2005 at 11:30 AM]
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

A couple years ago, we bought Sportspak. They went out of business and sold the rights to support. Now it's over $100.00 an hour to just get the most basic of questions answered.

We've heard nothing but good about Sportspak which has been around since 1984. That will be our next (and hopefully final) purchase.

Z
???
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

The basketball & volleyball associations I belong to use a web based system system called RefTown - works really well! The main site url is http://www.reftown.com - you can find more information there.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
The basketball & volleyball associations I belong to use a web based system system called RefTown - works really well! The main site url is http://www.reftown.com - you can find more information there.
How do you like that software?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

We've heard nothing but good about Sportspak which has been around since 1984. That will be our next (and hopefully final) purchase.

Z
???
Sorry Juggling Referee,

I meant to type "Arbiter" and I typed "Sportspak" instead in the last paragraph. I went back and fixed it.

Z
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
How do you like that software?
It's worked really great so far - very easy to use & interface with. PBOA was the guinea-pig - this is the 3rd year we've used it and our commissioner/assignor swears by it. We've got 325+ officials in the association, and it was used to assign roughly 6600+ games this season.

Our volleyball association (GPVOA) switched to it just before the 2004 fall season & it worked out fantastically - saved our commissioner/assignor countless hours on the phone.

The system is very adaptable - currently there are something like 20 different associations ranging from baseball to water polo using the site. The capabilities are far too numerous to mention here - best bet would be to contact Camron Rust, who is the primary developer & frequently posts on this forum, for more information.

Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

iSOCS

Our association has been using iSOCS, Internet Sports Officials Calendar and Scheduling System. It does not support the features asked for in the original post. We have used it 5 years for basketball, I have been the assignor for the last 2 1/2 years. Charge is $0.33 per game. I could not assign without it. It supports multiple sports and claims to have over 4000 customers.

http://www.isocs.com/default.asp
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
Brad must have fallen asleep today. He doesn't usually let threads competing with officiating.com's software stay on the board long.
Hmmmmmm.......

Are you sure of that? I've been posting here for several years, have seen a ton of posts on different assigning software, and I honestly cannot remember Brad ever locking or deleting a thread related to that type of software. He has, and will, usually add a post reminding us that he does sell a type of scheduling software too. Nothing the matter with that. It's official-related and it is his site.

They do a good job of getting rid of the other spam here, but stuff that is official related like equipment, software, books, etc. normally never gets censored.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I should say, he normally throws his pitch in there and then locks the thread. But he's normally pretty quick about it. BTW, my vote is for arbiter. http://www.thearbiter.net

That's completely different than my recollection, Rob. I cant remember Brad ever locking a thread on assigning software. Could you give me an example of when he has done that?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I should say, he normally throws his pitch in there and then locks the thread. But he's normally pretty quick about it. BTW, my vote is for arbiter. http://www.thearbiter.net

That's completely different than my recollection, Rob. I cant remember Brad ever locking a thread on assigning software. Could you give me an example of when he has done that?
Yes.
Then please do so.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The silence is just DEAFENING!!
Like Jurassic, I don't recall Brad closing down discussions of this type in the past. I have seen many such discussions go on without censorship in the past few years.

Yes, the thread you link to does appear to be closed. I don't know why, but I'm unwilling to ascribe it to competitive jealousy or malice based on my long term experience here.

However, the thread was likely deleted when BushRef, the creator, had his account purged. If you have a Google through the site for BushRef and follow the links and the cached pages, you'll note that threads BushRef started all appear to be deleted. Threads he merely participated in still exist.

So if you're implying that our host has been so heavy-handed as to nuke the thread because it discussed competing software, I believe you are mistaken.

But the fact that you can recall such a situation, that you have been here for less than a month and that you appear to have such a bitter disposition toward Brad, leads me to wonder if you aren't our long lost BushRef himself. a.k.a. Bush in 2004 and now bballrob. It sure smells like BushRef to me.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 08:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I should also add, while Brad may not have deleted it, he IS the one that CLOSED it after pimping his own software BEFORE it was deleted when BushRef lost his account.
I googled the threads too re: scheduling software.

The following threads showed up. Note that not one was closed by Brad.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/5752
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/8529
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/10628
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/11046

The only thread closed was because of the actions of a departed poster, BushRef. He's outa here, and deservedly so. He tried to post again under another name, and now that one is outa here too.

As mentioned before, you seem to have the same animosities as BushRef towards Brad. Kinda funny, eh?

Feel free to come up with another case where Brad deleted or closed a thread regarding scheduling software. If you can't come up with one, be man enough to apologize to him.
Closed Thread