The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
If you want compression type undershirts and don't want to break the bank, Wal-Mart sell compression shirts/shorts by Starter for $10 each. In my experience they perform just as well as the more expensive UA, Nike, etc.

Walmart.com: Search Results for "starter compression"
I bought some of these and don't like them. The material is thin, they run very small, and they feel cheap.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But do they have them in V-neck (and your link is not working to tell). If not then I would rather pay more money to have something that does not show. BTW, I have not had to buy many of these shirts over the years. So it is worth the money. Then again I invest my officiating money back into my officiating. It is not that big of a deal to pay a little more to get quality.
I have seen them in the V-Neck in stores, so I would assume they have them online as well.

As a starving college student, what little money I don't spend on school expenses I spend on the outside of my uniform (i.e. good shirts, shoes, pants, tailoring, etc.) so if I can save 20 bucks on an undershirt that's a great deal for me
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I bought some of these and don't like them. The material is thin, they run very small, and they feel cheap.
Never had that issue with mine, but maybe I'm just not discriminating enough to know the difference
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 10:56am
M.A.S.H.

Has anyone tried the new line from Honig's, CoolSkin/WarmSkin?
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Has anyone tried the new line from Honig's, CoolSkin/WarmSkin?
Sounds as if somebody's trying to compete with UA's cold and heat gear.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have under armor shirts already and they have lasted quite well. I was just looking for a shirt that would keep everything a little"tighter" up top! If you know what I mean. Something with some really good compression.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 05:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
I have seen them in the V-Neck in stores, so I would assume they have them online as well.

As a starving college student, what little money I don't spend on school expenses I spend on the outside of my uniform (i.e. good shirts, shoes, pants, tailoring, etc.) so if I can save 20 bucks on an undershirt that's a great deal for me
Well I have not seen any in the V-neck which is why I have never bought then for basketball. And the quality is very good on top of that. Work an extra game you will not have to worry about it. They will last for years. I have not bought another one of these things in about 3 years. I have yet to replace the first one I bought as well. $10 is not that much money if you have it for years.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well I have not seen any in the V-neck which is why I have never bought then for basketball. And the quality is very good on top of that. Work an extra game you will not have to worry about it. They will last for years. I have not bought another one of these things in about 3 years. I have yet to replace the first one I bought as well. $10 is not that much money if you have it for years.
They do indeed last forever. I'm very pleased with them.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I've been wearing moisture management clothing longer than most -- since 1990 at least -- longer than some companies like UA have even been in business. Longer than virtually anyone has been making a line anywhere close to what they make today. I've worn most brands and while I understand personal tastes are different for everyone, the current Nike Pro line is VERY hard to beat. It isn't very expensive, you can get it at Academy and other stores (likely) in your area, and it isn't a treated fabric like many other brands, including some UA products. It is a form fit, but not a compression like the UA form fit.

I used to wear the UA product, including the UA tactical -- v neck, dark logo, good support. Frankly, the Nike blows it away. The only thing close are a Brooks (running) product and another brand I don't remember the name of that I found in running stores. Incidentally, if you want the best in under garments, from briefs to shirts/tights, those stores are where the best products are. And the people in there are much more knowledgeable than your typical sales person at Academy or even an official's supply.

Incidentally, I was getting ready for a football scrimmage back in August and my Nike shirts were still in the laundry room. No problem. I grabbed an older UA shirt I started football with and put it on. Immediately, I felt something weird in the stomach area and instinctively rubbed it. The shirt started "shedding!" As I took it off, half the shirt lost its "outer skin." I was bummed because it was a very comfortable shirt, but obviously had a applied coating of something to it. True, I'd worn and washed that shirt well over 100 times, but I just couldn't imagine that happening.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Incidentally, I was getting ready for a football scrimmage back in August and my Nike shirts were still in the laundry room. No problem. I grabbed an older UA shirt I started football with and put it on. Immediately, I felt something weird in the stomach area and instinctively rubbed it. The shirt started "shedding!" As I took it off, half the shirt lost its "outer skin." I was bummed because it was a very comfortable shirt, but obviously had a applied coating of something to it. True, I'd worn and washed that shirt well over 100 times, but I just couldn't imagine that happening.
How were you drying the shirts? I never dry them in high heat and was concerned about having the fabric deteriorate. Maybe that is one of the reasons they were shedding. Do not know for sure, but might be a possibility.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

I got a McDavid mock turtleneck for baseball this year and it is very comfortable. More so than the UA or Starter stuff IMO. They sell regular crew neck and v-neck shirts as well.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 08:59am
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks for the information, TX Aggie. I've been using the Wal-Mart brand for compression shorts and have been rather unhappy with their quality. They tend to fall apart literally at the seams after only a season or two. I wash them in cold water and air dry but they just aren't built to last. I will give the Nike's a look.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a fan of Under Armour, especially since I can get it in a V-Neck. It's held up pretty well, I don't use fabric softener and I hang dry them.

Under Armour | Men's HeatGear Tactical V-Neck | 1005040 | $24.99
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How were you drying the shirts?
Air dry (no heat) in the dryer, if at all. Probably 80% air dry in the dryer and the rest hang or lay dry.

Quote:
Maybe that is one of the reasons they were shedding.
Its not. The ONLY piece of athletic or synthetic clothing I dry with ANY heat is my Sansabelt pants for hoops. If you don't apply some heat to them, and I dry them on low for only about 15 minutes, they wrinkle like hell. I don't get that, but its what happens with mine. I had to call Sansabelt to find out why they wrinkled -- they said they recommended some heat. I may have made a post about that on here.

In the early 90's I was probably drying the early synthetic clothes with some heat, but that ended way more than 10 years ago. If nothing else, static forced the issue. Plus, around 2002 or so, you could spin them on high in the washer and they'd air dry in 30 minutes or less. My socks are the only things that take longer, for some reason.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I would add that personally, I like to go with sleeves. I used to do sleeveless undershirts but ended up with pit stains in my stripes. As far as the V-neck, when in Rome as they say. I've heard in certain areas they want the v-neck. In my parts, I've never heard it mentioned.