The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

3rd Lane space?

Can the 2 offensive players A1 and A2 that are allowed on the lane and may occupy the 2nd lane space, during a free throw, occupy the 3rd lane space if the defense only has 2 players on the lane?
NFHS rules.

Last edited by Robert E. Harrison; Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 08:38am.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
Can the 2 offensive players A1 and A2 that are allowed on the lane and may occupy the 2nd lane space, during a free throw, occupy the 3rd lane space if the defense only has 2 players on the lane?
NFHS rules.
Limitations are in 8-1-4. If it's not listed as a limitation, then it's legal. See the case book, too.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 06:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Looks Like A Job For The Mythbusters ...

On free throws, there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six marked lane spaces. The defense must be in the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks, on all free throws. The offense must not occupy the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. Players, other than the shooter, and the players in the designated lane spaces, are to remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc, and may not penetrate the free throw line extended and the three point arc until the ball hits rim or backboard. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower. For free throws when there are no rebounders in the marked lane spaces, i.e. technical fouls, the nine nonshooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 06:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For free throws when there are no rebounders in the marked lane spaces, i.e. technical fouls, the nine nonshooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc.
This is probably the most misunderstood rule regarding free throws. 99.9% of players and coaches think the players must stand in backcourt during these free throws. I've known some refs who think so, also. In fact, I've had coaches yell numerous times when opposing players are in their proper place in frontcourt that they have to be in backcourt. Of course, I only let each one yell once.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
This is probably the most misunderstood rule regarding free throws. 99.9% of players and coaches think the players must stand in backcourt during these free throws. I've known some refs who think so, also. In fact, I've had coaches yell numerous times when opposing players are in their proper place in frontcourt that they have to be in backcourt. Of course, I only let each one yell once.
I don't tell players that they have to be in the backcourt, but if they all want to congregate there, I won't stop them.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've had the coach in the front court ask me before; because he wanted to talk to his players during the FTs.
I've also had officials move the players to the BC while I administered the FTs.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
NFHS rules.
Short answer, yes they may. The only two spaces which are required to be occupied and by a specific team are the first two nearest the basket, which must be filled by the defense, unless no player's are allowed along the lane for the attempt per rule.

The other four spaces are open to whomever wants them subject to the maximum four and two restrictions for the offense and defense.

You may find this info in the references provided by Bob Jenkins.