The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

The Road to Become a College Official

I've been searching through the internet for a good resource to lay out the "road" to becoming a college basketball official at any level. So far I haven't had much luck so I was hoping some of you officials on here could help me out.

1) Is getting seen just a matter of being at the right game where a college evaluater is present or booking agent?

2) Is it solely just going out and participating in open gyms or college camps where college officials are present?

If yall could help me out I would appreciate it!! Thanks!
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 03:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Road To The Final Four ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
The "road" to becoming a college basketball official at any level.
I'm not an NCAA official, nor do I play one on television, but several of my high school colleagues are. Easy answer. Get a mentor, someone in your local area who works college games. Also three words: camps, camps, and camps.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not an NCAA official, nor do I play one on television, but several of my high school colleagues are. Easy answer. Get a mentor, someone in your local area who works college games. Also three words: camps, camps, and camps.
Thanks for your reply Billy
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 05:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
If yall could help me out
So....you want to work in the SEC?
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 07:28pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Also three words: camps, camps, and camps.
Additionally, I would add: work hard, work harder, study, study, study.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nite:
1. Determine whether you want to work in the NCAA Mens or Women's side. This must be determined early beacuse if you start with one and don't make it, 'the power's that be' will think they are 2nd place, and they dont like that.
2. Your appearance is HUGE. If you are a little overweight, have tatoos, wear glasses whatever, it is a negative. You can have the best judgement, have the rule book memorized and NEVER be out of position, but if you don't have the 'look' you don't have a chance
3. It has been said before but CAMPS CAMPS CAMPS. Most assignors at the college level have their own camps. SOP is that if you want in their league you HAVE to go to THEIR camp. It is sort of like a union card, you give them money, and if you do well enough, they give you games. Don't be suprised if this takes more then a year or two.
4. Be patient and HAVE FUN!!
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone here makes excellent points. Camps, camps, camps are the key. Work you butt off during that time you are there. Also, make sure you have a mentor, having more than one is a great thing to have. Surrounding yourself with individuals who work college basketball and pick their brains. Never be afraid of feedback that is the biggest thing especially at camp. Assignors don't like people who cocky and think they know everything. Normally the individuals who are evaluating you at camp are going to be your peers in the association so if you get a chance on an off game try to pick their brains if they are not busy.

Other thing make sure you always look the part not just in camp but also at your other games at well. You never know who is watching. Also, make sure you stick one side either mens or womens. Pick a side that works best with you and feels right because jumping ship after failing on one side looks bad.

Most importantly have fun and enjoy yourself. It takes a couple of years to go there and when you get there you are still working hard up the ladder, but it is worth it to see the way those games are played!

Peace,
JB
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
2. Your appearance is HUGE. If you are a little overweight, have tatoos, wear glasses whatever, it is a negative. You can have the best judgement, have the rule book memorized and NEVER be out of position, but if you don't have the 'look' you don't have a chance
This has never been more true. If you aren't in very good shape, don't waste money and time at camp because you will be scratched before you blow a whistle. Thats just how it is in the 2010s
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 10:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
1) Is getting seen just a matter of being at the right game where a college evaluater is present or booking agent?
Yes and no. You could get an opportunity if you are seen by the right person. But that opportunity is likely going to result in going to a camp and then being evaluated from there. We are right or wrong in the age of camps. Almost no one gets hired just off the street or working some Junior High Game somewhere and then getting a lower level college opportunity. That might have been the case 15 or 20 years ago, but not so much anymore if ever.

Quote:
2) Is it solely just going out and participating in open gyms or college camps where college officials are present?
Nope, you will have to likely attend a camp. Which means you will have to get some money together and make a commitment one weekend or several weekends to be seen at a camp. There are many all over the country, but now even the lower level college conferences have ties to other levels. So you will have to attend a camp and take your chances. And it might mean going to a D1 style camp where you will have to pay $300-$500 just for a camp fee. And it might mean you will have to go across state lines to do so as well. Most college conferences cross multiple states and to work in those conferences they are not just going to be in your back yard.

And most of what others have said addresses the issue but there is much more to it. I would suggest you find a mentor that works college ball and like someone else said decide which side you want to officiate. Men's and Women's basketball is very different and has different expectations and mechanics. You will likely have to be familiar with them or you will not work get hired. But understand much of what I am saying is general, the more you deal with people in your area there might be more requirements that none of us here can easily answer.

Most of all college officiating is very competitive. Most of the time those that attend camps can officiate their behinds off and you have to be better than those to even get a shot. It is a big financial commitment as well as a big time commitment. You have to have the right job and the right family life. This is not an easy thing to do or to achieve. Do not want to discourage you, but you need to be prepared for what you want to embark.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
This has never been more true. If you aren't in very good shape, don't waste money and time at camp because you will be scratched before you blow a whistle. Thats just how it is in the 2010s
Adding to this....the bottom line is when you go to camp, as Rut said, you are there with people that can ref, in some cases, very well. So, the folks that hire look to eliminate people from their radar and focus on that one or two guys that for whatever reason....have the look or the right geography, court presence and / or / stones....or the right people speaking for them. And dont forget these guys are hiring for 1 - 4 spots on staff....and unfortunately many of these camps have 75 guys showing up.

Also remember, you are going against some guys already on staff that are either 2nd year or guys who had a bad year and it was suggested they come. Rut and I both have been to D1 camps where we are reffing with guys in multiple D1 leagues already and are their to get into a new league. In a way, this is good news because all you have to do now is take care of you and don't screw up. Then hope the players bring you a scenario that allows you to stand out.

Now the silver lining: Camps pay off in the long run if you want to be a better ref. You are working on your craft in the summer which puts you in the top 10% of your peers most likely.

My advice: Like previously stated....Find that local guy already working college. He knows which direction to point you. Look for a D3, or an NAIA, or JUCO league to go try out for. The camps are ran in the summer so the time for you to focus on finding the path is in March / April. Around then is when the camps are announced and the generally run May - June.

Some other options:

There are a few training camps out there. JC Caldwell's in Daytona Florida. Start Develop and Finish in Cincinnati are a couple. There, you can get your feet under you, learn or refresh 3-man and get exposed to people that are already "in" in some capacity.

And like I said....go in with an athletic look.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:08am
Lighten up, Francis.

Here's a couple of thoughts, for what they're worth.

There may be a vast difference in the process depending on what level of ball you're aiming at. Here in New England, there is generally no camp requirement to begin working D3 NCAA ball. You would likely need to attend a one-day try-out, but not a traditional multi-day, stay overnight, type of camp.

If you just want to get your feet wet with some Junior College or Community College ball, you might not even need to do that.

I think someone already mentioned it, but for me, the best advice is simply to find an NCAA official who you feel comfortable with and ask.

If your long term goal is make a Division 1 roster, then the sooner you start on the camp circuit, the better. As everyone has made clear, that is simply how the process works right now. You must go to camp (probably 2 or 3 times), perform consistently well and keep your nose clean.

But since you're just starting out on the NCAA path, I would simply ask a fellow official how to apply to your local college association; or, if you know the name of the association, contact its secretary directly and ask about the process.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I've been searching through the internet for a good resource to lay out the "road" to becoming a college basketball official at any level. So far I haven't had much luck so I was hoping some of you officials on here could help me out.

If yall could help me out I would appreciate it!! Thanks!

Where do you live?
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Here in New England, there is generally no camp requirement to begin working D3 NCAA ball. You would likely need to attend a one-day try-out, but not a traditional multi-day, stay overnight, type of camp.

If you just want to get your feet wet with some Junior College or Community College ball, you might not even need to do that.
Must be nice!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Must be nice!
That's why the Big East is such a horrible league!!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

You may have to go to camps again and again even after you have been hired to work. I am in my 5th year working NCAAW D1 and I have been to my supervisors camp every year after being hired in D1 (7 years total)! You must be willing to take very pointed feedback from clinicians, this is nothing less than a job interview.

If you choose the women's side make sure you go in with the right attitude and not with the attitude that it is a step down from the mens side or it is a stepping stone to mens college ball, it is not!