The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
Moving back the three point line together with the rectangular area should increase the number of plays near the basket. Games had become a kind of target shooting.

Ciao
I don't know about the lane change, but the stated reason the NCAA moved back the three point line was to open up the area between the three point line and the paint, to encourage more play in that area, which they felt had become too congested owing to the size of today's college player. In theory, at least in the NCAA's theory, extending the three point line should result in more mid-range shots whereas before the change the vast majority of shots were taken either in the paint or at the arc. I have never heard whether the change had the desired effect.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I find it interesting that FIBA is giving up the trapezoid after so many years, when the NCAA experimented with changing to the trapezoid just 2 or 3 years ago.
FIBA is mimicking the NBA. The past few years have seen a huge swing towards NBA rules... 8 second backcourt, 24 second shot clock and now similar resets,clear path fouls etc.

Eventually I'm sure we will probably see 6 personal fouls and 6 steps for travelling violations.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

BITS Of course it had the desired afffect. The NCAA has a study to prove it. That is until they want to move the line again then they will have a study proving otherwise!!
I will say that is a big difference IMO between Men's and Women's basketball. In Men's basketball it does appear the mid range jumper is a lost art, whereas I see more of the 12 - 15' in women's games.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
FIBA is mimicking the NBA. The past few years have seen a huge swing towards NBA rules... 8 second backcourt, 24 second shot clock and now similar resets,clear path fouls etc.

Eventually I'm sure we will probably see 6 personal fouls and 6 steps for travelling violations.
Interesting enough, the NBA Developmental League is experimenting with the FIBA rule allowing the ball to be played if it's on the rim.

I personally hate the rule and I don't see it going any further than the experimental stage for the NBA, but it'll be interesting to see.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Interesting enough, the NBA Developmental League is experimenting with the FIBA rule allowing the ball to be played if it's on the rim.

I personally hate the rule and I don't see it going any further than the experimental stage for the NBA, but it'll be interesting to see.
I like the rule. It makes it exciting and it's nice not to have to remember that part of the BI rule.