The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 12:41pm
MABO Member

FIBA Rule Changes

Effective October 1, 2010 FIBA has released revised copies of the official basketball rules used worldwide, including at all levels of play here in Manitoba, from the WMBA, school, club, CIS and Senior levels. The new rules take effect October 1, 2010 and include a number of changes. The biggest changes that are coming into play under the FIBA system are the new floor markings. These changes are the first changes to the floor lines at the FIBA level since 1952 and have changed the key to copy the NBA specifications along with a 'no charge' semi-circle. Please note that the new game floor markings illustrated in this publication will NOT be utilized by any level of basketball in Manitoba until further notice from Basketball Manitoba. This includes still using the original ‘trapezoid’ style key, the 20’6” three point line and NOT introducing the new ‘no-charge semi-circle’ line. All levels of play in the province will use the 2008 floor markings until further notice. Another change to the new rules includes how the shot clock gets reset after a team fouls with less than 14 seconds showing.

Clarification about why we were adopting the new rules prior to 2012 as per the FIBA rules committee as follows.

"Specifically, five (5) changes to the Rules 2010 are related to the change in appearance of the basketball court and to the (capability of) technical equipment. Therefore the FIBA Central Board has decided that the changes will be in force as of 1st October 2010 for main competitions of FIBA and as of 1st October 2012 at the very latest for all other official competitions and the high level competitions of the national federations, in order to provide FIBA membership with enough time to apply changes to the basketball court.

However, FIBA has stated that all the governing bodies of basketball (FIBA zones, national federations, etc) are strongly recommended to implement the Rules 2010 at their convenience before the above mentioned deadline of 1st October 2012.

Canada will use the FIBA Rules 2010 as of October 1, 2010 and will have exceptions to the new court markings, to allow schools sufficient time to make the change-over.

For levels of play below "high level competition", the vast majority of players in our country, it is far more important that participants be exposed to the basic rules of the FIBA game. At a given level below "high level competition", the most important thing is that all players play on similar courts rather than face different lines in different venues of play."

Comments or discussion?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 12:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Are they still going to sell metric popcorn at the games?
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Canada will use the FIBA Rules 2010 as of October 1, 2010 and will have exceptions to the new court markings, to allow schools sufficient time to make the change-over.
FIBA notified about the new markings more than two years ago. Italy will use the new markings starting from October 1 at all levels. The only exception to the new rules is for the 14 second reset, which will be adopted only for national competitions.

@Mark Padgett: popcorn is not sold at games here, because metric corn kernels are 10 centimeters long; imagine when they burst open.

Ciao
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 03:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe An Octagon ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
FIBA notified about the new markings more than two years ago.
Is the trapezoid going to change into a hexagon? Cool!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 03:58pm.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 04:16pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Are they still going to sell metric popcorn at the games?
Along those lines...are the scores reported in metric as well? Do they need to be converted when reported by US media outlets?
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 05:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Colour My World ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Are the scores reported in metric as well?
Is it a travelling violation or a traveling violation?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is it a travelling violation or a traveling violation?
The former, of course. And national federations may delay the application of new rules, but are strictly forbidden to change the spelling.

Ciao
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Along those lines...are the scores reported in metric as well? Do they need to be converted when reported by US media outlets?
The current exchange rate is 1 metric point = .3988 US point. So it would be very convenient to adopt metric points, because it would improve players' stats. Rebounds are rated .984, so not very convenient, but assists are even better at a blazing .215

Ciao
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 06:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

One of their new rules is that the French national team will no longer be allowed to play the entire game with their hands straight up in the air.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
One of their new rules is that the French national team will no longer be allowed to play the entire game with their hands straight up in the air.
....and backpeddling will no longer constitute a forfeit!

Are you sure they are using metric points instead of Euros?
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 07:51am
MABO Member

Funny you are talking about converting for Americans. We had a tournament going on here last weekend and some teams from Minnesota and North Dakota came up.

I was speaking to some parents from one of the teams between games. We were talking about some of the differences in the 2 games NF & FIBA. Somehow we ended up talking about distances and speed as well (Kms vs Miles, etc)

One of the Moms ended it all by saying it would be so much easier if everyone just spoke "American". I almost spit my water out laughing.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 08:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

I find it interesting that FIBA is giving up the trapezoid after so many years, when the NCAA experimented with changing to the trapezoid just 2 or 3 years ago.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Funny you are talking about converting for Americans. We had a tournament going on here last weekend and some teams from Minnesota and North Dakota came up.

I was speaking to some parents from one of the teams between games. We were talking about some of the differences in the 2 games NF & FIBA. Somehow we ended up talking about distances and speed as well (Kms vs Miles, etc)

One of the Moms ended it all by saying it would be so much easier if everyone just spoke "American". I almost spit my water out laughing.
"There's fog on the Channel, Europe is isolated" (Sir Winston Churchill)

Ciao
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sheridan College in Peel region already has the new markings complete with the no charge circle painted. I found that one interesting since Ontario community colleges play modified NCAA rules.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I find it interesting that FIBA is giving up the trapezoid after so many years, when the NCAA experimented with changing to the trapezoid just 2 or 3 years ago.
Moving back the three point line together with the rectangular area should increase the number of plays near the basket. Games had become a kind of target shooting.

Ciao