The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
How sad the coach compromised his ethics over a game. I think this is the horrible warning versus the good example. What has he taught the kids?

What is the best way to try to avoid this occurring, especially if the scorekeeper is wrong? Is there a different set of books that can be reconciled against the official set?
It's one of the reasons two scorebooks are "required".
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

You know, Bob, I guess I never thought about it before, but, for our home games, the only scorebook we keep is the official scorekeeper's version. Point well taken.

As for the "moral dilemma", I think this one fits into the category of the person who's having a garage sale, and is unwittingly selling something you know to be very valuable. Do you tell the person, or do you buy it?

- Catherine Aird
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
I had a couple of rules I needed to get clarification on in Rule 5.

1. Rule 5.2.5 When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths of a second or less remain on the clock, no field goal may be scored by a try for a goal. In this situation a tap could score.

Does this mean that a tap is the only way to score? If so, what is the logic here? I think I know, but I want to make sure I am reading it correctly.
The logic behind this is actually a study conducted by the NBA in the days before Precision Timing - they broke down tape and determined that it was impossible for someone to get a shot off without at least 0.3 seconds running off of the clock.