The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

speaking of jump stops

A1 executes a legal jump stop, i.e., gathers the ball while on one foot, jumps from that foot and lands on two feet. Neither foot can be a pivot foot.

B1 immediately guards A1, and to prevent the ball from being stolen A1 turns his body from side to side. His feet both stay in contact with the ground, but "pivot" or spin on the floor with each turn of his body.

Is this a travel? Or just a nice dance move?
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 02:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
His feet both stay in contact with the ground
This should give you your answer.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't it depend on what the definition of "his" is? What if it is a her? What if the his being referred to is someone else?
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
A1 executes a legal jump stop, i.e., gathers the ball while on one foot, jumps from that foot and lands on two feet. Neither foot can be a pivot foot.

B1 immediately guards A1, and to prevent the ball from being stolen A1 turns his body from side to side. His feet both stay in contact with the ground, but "pivot" or spin on the floor with each turn of his body.

Is this a travel? Or just a nice dance move?
He may pivot, but not in the traditional sense. He may lift one of his feet and spin on the one that remains on the floor, but in doing so he may NOT return the airborne foot back to the floor.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
He may pivot, but not in the traditional sense. He may lift one of his feet and spin on the one that remains on the floor, but in doing so he may NOT return the airborne foot back to the floor.
I disagree. With both feet off the floor, 4-44-1 explains that when one foot leaves the floor, the other becomes the pivot.

In this situation, 4-44-2b2, "neither foot can be a pivot in this case." By lifting one foot, the other becomes the pivot which makes your action a violation.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
This should give you your answer.
Not so fast... clearly if he slides his feet from the fixed spot it is a travel, even if neither foot leaves the floor.

My own opinion is merely rotating the feet is not a travel. However, under pressure from a defender it is also easy to slide backwards.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
I disagree. With both feet off the floor, 4-44-1 explains that when one foot leaves the floor, the other becomes the pivot.

In this situation, 4-44-2b2, "neither foot can be a pivot in this case." By lifting one foot, the other becomes the pivot which makes your action a violation.
It's not the pivot foot until he brings the food in the air back down. At that point its a travel. Not a travel if he has one foot in the air but doesn't bring it back to the ground.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
It's not the pivot foot until he brings the food in the air back down. At that point its a travel. Not a travel if he has one foot in the air but doesn't bring it back to the ground.
How do we explain:

"When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot."?

I know that these are in different articles, but the principle should still apply.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 08:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
How do we explain:

"When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot."?

I know that these are in different articles, but the principle should still apply.
You explain it by looking up the definition of a "pivot" in NFHS rule 4-35. That states that to have a pivot, the player must STEP once or more with the non-pivot foot. Simply raising a foot isn't a "step". And without a "step", you don't have a "pivot"

Also see NFHS rule 4-44-4(a)....After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot, one or both feet may be lifted but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal." That's pretty definitive.

Btaylor had it right. Funny-looking ain't necessarily illegal.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 06:38am. Reason: Edited to cite Rule 4-44-4(a)
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic referee View Post
you explain it by looking up the definition of a "pivot" in nfhs rule 4-35. That states that to have a pivot, the player must step once or more with the non-pivot foot. Simply raising a foot isn't a "step". And without a "step", you don't have a "pivot"

also see nfhs rule 4-44-4(a). That's pretty definitive.

Btaylor had it right. Funny-looking ain't necessarily illegal.
+1