The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   speaking of jump stops (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59044-speaking-jump-stops.html)

rsl Wed Sep 08, 2010 02:26pm

speaking of jump stops

A1 executes a legal jump stop, i.e., gathers the ball while on one foot, jumps from that foot and lands on two feet. Neither foot can be a pivot foot.

B1 immediately guards A1, and to prevent the ball from being stolen A1 turns his body from side to side. His feet both stay in contact with the ground, but "pivot" or spin on the floor with each turn of his body.

Is this a travel? Or just a nice dance move?

Mark Padgett Wed Sep 08, 2010 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsl (Post 691546)
His feet both stay in contact with the ground

This should give you your answer.

Judtech Wed Sep 08, 2010 03:20pm

Wouldn't it depend on what the definition of "his" is? What if it is a her? What if the his being referred to is someone else?:p

btaylor64 Wed Sep 08, 2010 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsl (Post 691546)
A1 executes a legal jump stop, i.e., gathers the ball while on one foot, jumps from that foot and lands on two feet. Neither foot can be a pivot foot.

B1 immediately guards A1, and to prevent the ball from being stolen A1 turns his body from side to side. His feet both stay in contact with the ground, but "pivot" or spin on the floor with each turn of his body.

Is this a travel? Or just a nice dance move?

He may pivot, but not in the traditional sense. He may lift one of his feet and spin on the one that remains on the floor, but in doing so he may NOT return the airborne foot back to the floor.

sseltser Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64 (Post 691551)
He may pivot, but not in the traditional sense. He may lift one of his feet and spin on the one that remains on the floor, but in doing so he may NOT return the airborne foot back to the floor.

I disagree. With both feet off the floor, 4-44-1 explains that when one foot leaves the floor, the other becomes the pivot.

In this situation, 4-44-2b2, "neither foot can be a pivot in this case." By lifting one foot, the other becomes the pivot which makes your action a violation.

rsl Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 691548)
This should give you your answer.

Not so fast... clearly if he slides his feet from the fixed spot it is a travel, even if neither foot leaves the floor.

My own opinion is merely rotating the feet is not a travel. However, under pressure from a defender it is also easy to slide backwards.

ajs8207 Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser (Post 691558)
I disagree. With both feet off the floor, 4-44-1 explains that when one foot leaves the floor, the other becomes the pivot.

In this situation, 4-44-2b2, "neither foot can be a pivot in this case." By lifting one foot, the other becomes the pivot which makes your action a violation.

It's not the pivot foot until he brings the food in the air back down. At that point its a travel. Not a travel if he has one foot in the air but doesn't bring it back to the ground.

sseltser Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs8207 (Post 691562)
It's not the pivot foot until he brings the food in the air back down. At that point its a travel. Not a travel if he has one foot in the air but doesn't bring it back to the ground.

How do we explain:

"When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot."?

I know that these are in different articles, but the principle should still apply.

Jurassic Referee Wed Sep 08, 2010 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser (Post 691564)
How do we explain:

"When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot."?

I know that these are in different articles, but the principle should still apply.

You explain it by looking up the definition of a "pivot" in NFHS rule 4-35. That states that to have a pivot, the player must STEP once or more with the non-pivot foot. Simply raising a foot isn't a "step". And without a "step", you don't have a "pivot"

Also see NFHS rule 4-44-4(a)....After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot, one or both feet may be lifted but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal." That's pretty definitive.

Btaylor had it right. Funny-looking ain't necessarily illegal.

ajs8207 Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jurassic referee (Post 691568)
you explain it by looking up the definition of a "pivot" in nfhs rule 4-35. That states that to have a pivot, the player must step once or more with the non-pivot foot. Simply raising a foot isn't a "step". And without a "step", you don't have a "pivot"

also see nfhs rule 4-44-4(a). That's pretty definitive.

Btaylor had it right. Funny-looking ain't necessarily illegal.

+1