The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 05:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Pat On The Back ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Perhaps, but if you keep it to yourself, I don't learn anything. If you pass along your wisdom, I likely will cease getting it wrong. There's always a chance that I saw something differently than the viewpoint passed to me, but those moments you can take in stride. The thing I've come to learn is that the post-game "good game" or "nice job" comments from your partner are quite meaningless. What they're basically saying is, "we got through that one," but these friendly offerings are no evaluation of your work. Instead, we generally have to wait until the end of the season to get the truth, in the form of our evaluations. This is where you want to yell, "where was this information two months ago?!" You can't take corrective action on information withheld, and that's the most frustrating part of it all.
I had the same frustration a few years ago, but my attitude has changed. Now I don't passively wait for advice or constructive criticism. Instead I'm proactive and seek out constructive criticism. Any time anybody sees me work, even the junior varsity officials who stay for the first half of my varsity game, I always ask, "So, what did you see?". Nobody escapes getting this question asked of them. Some respond. Some don't. How does that Serenity Prayer go? Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 06:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How does that Serenity Prayer go?
Picture yourself near a stream. Birds are softly chirping in the crisp, cool mountain air. Nothing can bother you here. No one knows this secret place. You are in total seclusion from the place called "the world". The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity. The water is clear. It is so clear that you can easily make out the face of the person you're holding under the water.

Add ten points if it's Chseagle.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 06:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Serenity Now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Picture yourself near a stream. Birds are softly chirping in the crisp, cool mountain air. Nothing can bother you here. No one knows this secret place. You are in total seclusion from the place called "the world". The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity. The water is clear.
YouTube - Seinfeld - Serenity Now Montage
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The thing I've come to learn is that the post-game "good game" or "nice job" comments from your partner are quite meaningless. What they're basically saying is, "we got through that one," but these friendly offerings are no evaluation of your work.
Agreed, if it's your partner. I thought the OP was (from the standpoint of the official working the game) "just some random guy from the stands who claims to be an official."

(and I think we've al had them come out to try to give us advice)
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If I didn't know the officials, I would introduce myself and start the conversation by asking about their officiating background, how much they have worked, where they took classes, what their goals are, etc.

Work your way around to asking what they saw on the relevant play. Ask what rule they are applying. Ask if you can make a suggestion, and if the answer is yes explain the relevant rule. You have no right to correct them, and should do so only with permission.

In my experience, people are most willing to tolerate correction when they feel that you're on their side and interested in helping them develop, as opposed to just being a jerk, or showing off your rules knowledge, or are otherwise there for your own benefit rather than theirs.
I like your suggestion on how to handle this situation.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
When if ever would it be okay to approach a fellow ref and comment on a call or missed call you noticed while watching a game. And this does not include instances of evaluating.

Example 1. Ref does not know the 3 second rule and team A shoots, hits the rim, rebounds and shoots again and ref blows whistle for 3 seconds.

Example 2. Same shooter multiple times. shooter catches ball and takes 'shooters hop' aka travels and then shoots the ball.

When if ever would it be appropriate as a viewer to comment to ref? What if you are in street clothes? What if it is AAU style and you are waiting in stripes to ref a game either to take over or on a nearby court? Curious as to what veterans would do and what others feel is okay.

In the case where veterans/varsity officials are watching jv officials then I would think it SHOULD be brought to their attention. I am speaking of non high school venues.

Thanks
My one concern and/or variable would be the referees positioning. Was the ref able to see it from where they were? This applying more to Ex. 2 than 1.