Thread: Appropriateness
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
When if ever would it be okay to approach a fellow ref and comment on a call or missed call you noticed while watching a game. And this does not include instances of evaluating.

Example 1. Ref does not know the 3 second rule and team A shoots, hits the rim, rebounds and shoots again and ref blows whistle for 3 seconds.

Example 2. Same shooter multiple times. shooter catches ball and takes 'shooters hop' aka travels and then shoots the ball.

When if ever would it be appropriate as a viewer to comment to ref? What if you are in street clothes? What if it is AAU style and you are waiting in stripes to ref a game either to take over or on a nearby court? Curious as to what veterans would do and what others feel is okay.

In the case where veterans/varsity officials are watching jv officials then I would think it SHOULD be brought to their attention. I am speaking of non high school venues.

Thanks
My one concern and/or variable would be the referees positioning. Was the ref able to see it from where they were? This applying more to Ex. 2 than 1.