The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 06, 2010, 09:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Let me throw this into the mix just to confuse things even more. A1 is dribbling the ball. B1 touches the ball. During the time that B1 is touching the ball, A1 fouls B1. Would you call a player control foul on A1? Remember - player control is defined as holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds.
You haven't given us enough information. Did B1's touch cause A1 to lose player control? It's just a technicality, in any case, because even if A1 did lose player control, it's still a team control foul (assuming it's not intentional or flagrant; in which case, again, player control is just a technicality). Same penalty.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 08:35am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
"An opponent touching a dribble doesn't end that dribble unless player control is lost."
I think that's the sentence that sums up the question, and why it's not legal.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 10:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused ???

I'm sorry guys, but I'm just a little confused by this thread.

A1 is dribbling the ball, and decides to pick up his dribble with two hands firmly on the ball, thus ending the dribble. Defender B1 reaches in and attempts to steal the ball from A1, but A1 is able to pull the ball away from B1 and B1 is only able to lightly touch the ball. A1 does not lose the ball, but is able to keep two hands on the ball. Three-quarters of a second later, A1 decides to start a new dribble. I've got an illegal dribble violation here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now let's get really "weird" here. A2 picks up her dribble, thus ending the dribble. During a pivot, A2 somehow fumbles the ball, which takes a few bounces on the floor, and also accidentally hits defender B2 in the back of the leg. A2 now picks up the ball. A2 decides at this point to start a new dribble. What do you have here?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 12:26pm.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 11:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
You haven't given us enough information. Did B1's touch cause A1 to lose player control?
That was my point. Did it or didn't it? That's kind of the whole issue on this thread.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm sorry guys, but I'm just a little confused by this thread.

A1 is dribbling the ball, and decides to pick up his dribble with two hands firmly on the ball, thus ending the dribble. Defender B1 reaches in and attempts to steal the ball from A1, but A1 is able to pull the ball away from B1 and B1 is only able to lightly touch the ball. A1 does not lose the ball, but is able to keep two hands on the ball. Three-quarters of a second later, A1 decides to start a new dribble. I've got an illegal dribble violation here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now let's get really "weird" here. A2 picks up her dribble, thus ending the dribble. During a pivot, A1 somehow fumbles the ball, which takes a few bounces on the floor, and also accidentally hits defender B2 in the back of the leg, before A1 re-establishes possession of the ball. A2 decides at this point to start a new dribble. What do you have here?
BillyMac, each of the provisions of 4-15-4 is SUFFICIENT to end the dribble -- it's never the case that you need all of them or even more than one. So once the dribble ends for ANY reason, it's illegal to start a new dribble.

So in your first play, the dribble ends by 4-15-4(a). When the player holding the ball begins a new dribble, the second dribble is illegal. The provisions of 4-15-4(d) -- and the opponent touching the ball -- don't enter this play, since the dribble has already ended before an opponent touches the ball.

Your second play meets the requirements of 9-5-3, and is thus a legal dribble.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 12:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pass Or Fumble ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Your second play meets the requirements of 9-5-3, and is thus a legal dribble.
NFHS 9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 . . . A try for field goal.
ART. 2 . . . A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 . . . A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

mbyron: Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 12:27pm.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 01:07pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Did B1's touch cause A1 to lose player control?
That was my point. Did it or didn't it? That's kind of the whole issue on this thread.
In all honestly, I don't think that's the issue at all in this thread. The reason I say that is that bainsey's original question was prompted by the test question in Post #4; and that question tells us that player control was never lost. So the issue in the thread is not whether player control was lost, but whether an opponent's touch of the ball -- without loss of control by the dribbler -- ends the dribble.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 . . . A try for field goal.
ART. 2 . . . A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 . . . A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

mbyron: Thanks.
Your welcome.

Notice that 9-5-3 is satisfied when the passed or fumbled ball touches or is touched by another player. That player need not be an opponent.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your welcome.
This kind of mistake is not expected from you!
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That would not work. They clarified that if the ball is touched by an opponent, then the dribble has ended. So that sentence would be wrong.

Peace
Quote:
Reference, please. The plain language of 4-15-4(d) backs up bainsey:

"The dribble ends when...
(d) The ball touches or is touched by an opponent and causes the dribbler to
lose control."
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I guess I cannot imagine you touching the ball and not losing the dribble. I would think based on the rhythm of the action that would be disrupt that action and cause some sort of control loss. And I would not use a statement that might apply to a very rare situation where control is not lost. Stick with the rule and stop always trying to find a term that applies to everything. Very rare is that going to ever apply.

Peace
Please just admit that you were wrong about the rule, for once, and then move on.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This kind of mistake is not expected from you!
Apologies. We have a new baby in the household, and I'm operating on limited sleep.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 08:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Apologies. We have a new baby in the household, and I'm operating on limited sleep.
At what point does it become an old baby?
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
At what point does it become an old baby?
You tell me, you old baby.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 08:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
You tell me, you old baby.
Lot of truth in that. I wake up about 6 times a night crying and having to go pee.

Congratulations, Mike, and enjoy the hell out of him/her. Boy or girl?
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 08:51am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Congrats! And yes, right now, sleep is more prescious than a plum assignment.