The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Pivot foot question

Can someone answer the following questing which an incarcerated friend of me has:
Can a player take the 1 1/2 step after stopping his dribble into the front court, after establishing a pivot foot?
Situation:
A player dribbles to a spot and establishes a pivot foot and with the non-pivot foot stepkicks his pivot foot up, and jump off the pivot foot before the ball is realeased, for a try or pass.

I am not a basketball player/referee myself so I don't have a clue if this question makes any sense to anybody... I hope someone can help me answer is question.

Thank you!
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I am a little confused about what type of play you are describing. I do know that 'back in the day' when teaching lay ups, players were told they could take 1 and 1/2 steps, but I was never sure how I could take a 1/2 step, but knew what they meant.
A phrase that may help you better would be "you can pick your pivot foot up, but can't put it back down". You also can't pick your pivot foot up and than hop on the non pivot foot.
Hope that is a simplified answer for you. Now, if you want to get technical.....
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I happened to be looking at the travel and dribble rules recently, so let me try to help...

For the Cliff Notes version, traveling has never had anything to do with the number of steps taken, but rather has to do with restrictions once a pivot foot is established. For example, when both feet are on the floor, and one is lifted, the other foot becomes the pivot foot. Once a pivot foot is established, a player must start a dribble before the pivot foot is lifted, or once a pivot foot is lifted, a player can only pass or shoot before it is returned to the floor.

The way you described it, the pivot foot was established, lifted, returned to the floor, then jumped off it again. Sounds like a violation.

There is such a thing in the rules as a jump-stop, however, and it is possible you're trying to describe that. For example, if a player catches the ball while in the air, lands on one foot, jumps off that same foot, then lands on both feet simultaneously, that is legal. However, neither foot can then become a pivot foot. Without a little more information, it's hard to see if that's what your trying to describe.

Is your friend incarcerated because they traveled too many times?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 04:25pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCY View Post
A player dribbles to a spot and establishes a pivot foot and with the non-pivot foot stepkicks his pivot foot up, and jump off the pivot foot before the ball is realeased, for a try or pass.
Gonna need an explanation of this term.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

txs

Thank you all for responding; will pass on the answers to my friend, who indeed is incarcerated. Hope he can make sense of your answers.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 06:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cake Boss ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCY View Post
Will pass on the answers to my friend, who indeed is incarcerated.
Be sure to bring him a cake. Vanilla cake, with chocolate frosting, and a steel file filling.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)