The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 03:19pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Mechanics: NCAA Men vs Fed

Other than going opposite on fouls, are there any other major differences? Want to be prepared for my ABA tryout this weekend.

Also, anyone on here attending this weekend?
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Do not have to raise open hand to stop clock.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Other than PC or block, don't give a prelim signal for the type of foul at the spot, save it for reporting to the table.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 05:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Do not have to raise open hand to stop clock.
Not true, at least if you look at the book. Some allow this, but others will not.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not true, at least if you look at the book. Some allow this, but others will not.

Peace
This was more my understanding...that it's not "disallowed" but that it's just not commonly done.

There is also more leeway given as far as the signals you use when you report fouls in NCAA (and the women even have some additional foul signals). NCAA-M are allowed to use two-handed reporting, though again the conference and crew are going to have something to say about that.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 02:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
This was more my understanding...that it's not "disallowed" but that it's just not commonly done.

There is also more leeway given as far as the signals you use when you report fouls in NCAA (and the women even have some additional foul signals). NCAA-M are allowed to use two-handed reporting, though again the conference and crew are going to have something to say about that.
This is all predicated on the people you work for or who is assigning the games. The book still says the last time I checked that you must "stop the clock" for out of bounds plays in the Men's book. Maybe that is going to change, but that is my understanding. And the people I work for will not allow us to not use that signal. And the two-handed reporting is also not allowed. So that is why you must know who you are going to be in front before you just do what you "think" is OK. And we really should not compare what those do at the D1 levels. Veterans at that level will never be judged the same as someone trying to break in.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 03:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
This is all predicated on the people you work for or who is assigning the games.

So that is why you must know who you are going to be in front before you just do what you "think" is OK. And we really should not compare what those do at the D1 levels. Veterans at that level will never be judged the same as someone trying to break in.
Common sense.

+1
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is all predicated on the people you work for or who is assigning the games. The book still says the last time I checked that you must "stop the clock" for out of bounds plays in the Men's book. Maybe that is going to change, but that is my understanding. And the people I work for will not allow us to not use that signal. And the two-handed reporting is also not allowed. So that is why you must know who you are going to be in front before you just do what you "think" is OK. And we really should not compare what those do at the D1 levels. Veterans at that level will never be judged the same as someone trying to break in.

Peace
Absolutely, whatever league or level you're working you have to do it how the assigner wants it done. And when trying to get hired, obviously if you can find out about a supervisor's preferences and dislikes that will help. But it's not worth losing a lot of sleep over...if an assigner is actually going to consider hiring you he will be much more interested in your total package and whether you can work or not. Hand up on an OOB or 1- v. 2-handed reporting, those are details can easily be "fixed".