The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The explanation for this which I have heard, and I think has merit, is that continuous contact is, in itself, a significant advantage. It lets the defender measure his opponent, helping him keep a uniform distance. It also uses the defender's sense of touch to supplement his sight in reacting to the offensive player's movement.
Those points may be valid, however, if in the end, the offensive player's ability to beat the defender and complete a play is not compromised, then why call a foul?

My partner called a hand check at the FT line this past weekend which took away an easy layup (player was in shooting motion just as partner raised fist and blew whistle). We discussed it....both agreed it was probably a situation we would want to pass on in the future....or at least show a more patient whistle.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Those points may be valid, however, if in the end, the offensive player's ability to beat the defender and complete a play is not compromised, then why call a foul?
Because, in the end, that's why it's been a consistent Point of Emphasis over the years, because the rules committee feels it does affect the play and it has not been called enough?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Because, in the end, that's why it's been a consistent Point of Emphasis over the years, because the rules committee feels it does affect the play and it has not been called enough?
Yeah it affects the play...if you call it in this example. It takes 2 points away from the offensive team. The defense may get a foul but a foul is often better than giving up a layup.

The hand check the committee is talking about in the POE is NOT the one where the dribbler has an open shot in front of them and a hand check would kill the drive. It is the one where it bumps/steers a player off of the line to an easy shot...which has often gone uncalled...or where the player has started the shooting motion and the hand check is pushing the shooter away from the basket. I don't believe POE wants us to call a foul that benefits the fouling team.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 06:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
You call it when the defender makes a practice of it. Both players standing still, or moving slowly, not attacking. If you haven't called it at this point, and A1 makes his move and beats the defender, by all means let it go, whether the contact continues or not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 09:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The hand check the committee is talking about in the POE is NOT the one where the dribbler has an open shot in front of them and a hand check would kill the drive. It is the one where it bumps/steers a player off of the line to an easy shot...
I respectfully disagree with the second sentence. The POE that I quoted has nothing to do with bumping or steering. It is talking about a defender placing a hand on the opponent and simply leaving it there.

If the defender is already beaten, then you're definitely going to let it go. But if the defender just leaves a hand on the ballhandler continuously as the offense tries to run a play, the POE seems to say that it should be a foul, even if the ballhandler might eventually go to the basket.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
This sure sounds like a hand check the entire way...call the foul when it happens and you will clean up the game for you and your partners. This is why hand checking has been a POE for so many years in NFHS...we don't call it. In NCAAW we used to let this play finish and call an And 1 if the shot was made...over the past few years we went back to calling it right away to clean up the game.
Not everyone went back to that....some even call a shooting foul regardless of the shot being missed or made...I am not mentioning names or anythong though.......
Old Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I respectfully disagree with the second sentence. The POE that I quoted has nothing to do with bumping or steering. It is talking about a defender placing a hand on the opponent and simply leaving it there.

If the defender is already beaten, then you're definitely going to let it go. But if the defender just leaves a hand on the ballhandler continuously as the offense tries to run a play, the POE seems to say that it should be a foul, even if the ballhandler might eventually go to the basket.
I don't think were really said anything different. I wasn't talking about "eventually"...but in progress...right now. If they're parking it there while the dribbler is moving around out top, I don't disagree with calling it.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2010, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You call it when the defender makes a practice of it. Both players standing still, or moving slowly, not attacking. If you haven't called it at this point, and A1 makes his move and beats the defender, by all means let it go, whether the contact continues or not.
Thanks for echoing my point.