The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Five second count on a drive

We had an interesting discussion in our association meeting last night about the five second closely guarded count. Imagine that a dribbler gets head and shoulders past his defender on a drive to the basket only to be picked up by a secondary defender who was already within six feet (so at least one defender was continuously within six feet the whole time). Would you continue your count? If so, why? If not, why not? Would it make any difference to you if it were near the basket or 40 feet away?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
We had an interesting discussion in our association meeting last night about the five second closely guarded count. Imagine that a dribbler gets head and shoulders past his defender on a drive to the basket only to be picked up by a secondary defender who was already within six feet (so at least one defender was continuously within six feet the whole time). Would you continue your count? If so, why? If not, why not? Would it make any difference to you if it were near the basket or 40 feet away?
There's your answer right there.

From the RULING in casebook play 9.10.1SitB- "There is no requirement for the defensive player to remain the same during the count as long as A1 is closely guarded throughout".

It's a violation anywhere on the court. The dribbler only got head and shoulders past one defender, not both of them. If the other defender was within 6 feet, the count simply continues.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 12:56pm.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
There's your answer right there.

From the RULING in casebook play 9.10.1SitB- "There is no requirement for the defensive player to remain the same during the count as long as A1 is closely guarded throughout".

It's a violation anywhere on the court. The dribbler only got head and shoulders past one defender, not both of them. If the other defender was within 6 feet, the count simply continues.
cough cough...
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
cough cough...
YeahYeahYeah......

It's a violation anywhere in the frontcourt, except for maybe Wimmen's basketball of which I know nuthin' about.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a violation anywhere on the court.
Dont Put that Pivot foot back down!!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Wait, am i reading this correctly?

A1 dribbling around can guarded by B1, B2, and B3 each individually so long as one of them is always within six feet and the closely guarded count continues and does not restart with each change of defender???

Is the rule the same in NCAA and NCAA-W?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach

A1 dribbling around can guarded by B1, B2, and B3 each individually so long as one of them is always within six feet and the closely guarded count continues and does not restart with each change of defender???

Yes, in FED.

In NCAA it must be the same defender -- when there's a switch, the count starts over.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Yes, in FED.

In NCAA it must be the same defender -- when there's a switch, the count starts over.
I did not know that. thanks for clearing it up.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I know I'll probably be beheaded for saying this, but you'd better check around in your area before you call this. I know what the strict letter of the law says, and I'm not saying that JR is incorrect in his interp. But I also know that some rules are called with local variations that directly contradict the book, and whether or not I or anyone else approve of this, that's the way it's done. I'd check with a local interpreter before i called this in any game.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I know I'll probably be beheaded for saying this, but you'd better check around in your area before you call this. I know what the strict letter of the law says, and I'm not saying that JR is incorrect in his interp. But I also know that some rules are called with local variations that directly contradict the book, and whether or not I or anyone else approve of this, that's the way it's done. I'd check with a local interpreter before i called this in any game.
I'll just say that there was a rather spirited discussion about whether this should be called or not. Yes, the rule is clear. But is the intent of the rule to give the ball to the defense when the offense is actively advancing toward the basket?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I'll just say that there was a rather spirited discussion about whether this should be called or not. Yes, the rule is clear. But is the intent of the rule to give the ball to the defense when the offense is actively advancing toward the basket?
The intent of the rule is to reward good defense. If a defender is in front of a dribbler that is actively advancing towards the basket, why should you penalize them for making that good defensive play?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 07:09pm.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Are you inferring that Howard is teaching Portland officials to ignore that particular rule?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach

No. It is the same in NCAA-M only.

In NCAA-W there is no closely guarded count while A1 is dribbling, only while she is holding the ball. The count happens anywhere on the court, not just in the frontcourt.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Are you inferring that Howard is teaching Portland officials to ignore that particular rule?
I'm not inferring anything, the reader infers, the speaker (or writer) implies!

Okay, well I had to do that since Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy has yet to be replaced.

No, not at all. Howard is a by the book kinda guy -- except for 3 seconds. But my point is exactly that in areas where there is a strong tradition of how to interpret things, it's best to go by that tradition, just like we use Howard's 3 second rule here, rather than the legality of the book.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not inferring anything, the reader infers, the speaker (or writer) implies!

Okay, well I had to do that since Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy has yet to be replaced.
How about Ms. Annoying Grammar Gal?