The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Summer League

anyone checking this out? Currently in Vegas, last week was in the Orlando area.

There is some real talent out there officiating these games. Appears to be a mix of some NBDL guys and some guys trying to get into the D League. Have seen a few females out there working, I think 3 to be exact.

Overall, I am more impressed by the Vegas crew. Great officials to watch work games, because they are working hard trying to get a job and have an obvious knowledge of what to do out there.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INUmp View Post
anyone checking this out? Currently in Vegas, last week was in the Orlando area.

There is some real talent out there officiating these games. Appears to be a mix of some NBDL guys and some guys trying to get into the D League. Have seen a few females out there working, I think 3 to be exact.

Overall, I am more impressed by the Vegas crew. Great officials to watch work games, because they are working hard trying to get a job and have an obvious knowledge of what to do out there.
When I get around to it I personally like watching these games for the officials to see newer guys work.

Unfortunately there will not be many that will have that opinion here and they will rant about the league and the officiating. Just be prepared.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Pretty much have the same opinion as JRut. Been watching a game or two when I get the chance. Play has been sloppy but that's to be expected with summer league. If I remember correctly, I've seen at least four female officials...3 in Orlando and one in Las Vegas.

I don't know if anyone knows, but I'm guessing the officials with a number on the back are already working D-League and those without are trying to get a job?
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 08:30am
Courageous When Prudent

I watch them b/c I have a couple of very good friends working those games plus I see other guys whom I've met in camps or on my conference staffs.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I watch them b/c I have a couple of very good friends working those games plus I see other guys whom I've met in camps or on my conference staffs.
+ 1

Plus by visiting the NBA's summer league web site, you can find the names and shirt numbers of each official for each game under the box score section.

Here's a sample.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2010, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I read this off of ESPN.com today and thought it was funny:

Joe Borgia, vice president of referee operations and George Tolliver, the NBA director of D-League officials, sit courtside directly in front of press row where they evaluate game officials. A half hour prior to the Wizards-Hornets game, Washington summer league coach Sam Cassell came over to emphatically protest a call from the Wizards' last game. Cassell felt that the official who whistled the play was out of position. His monologue went on for a good three minutes, as Borgia and Tolliver politely listened, then offered an explanation. Cassell was only marginally satisfied as he walked away, after which Borgia, with a deadpan smile, said, "He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about."

What?! A former player not knowing the rules of basketball......no way

Day Eight Las Vegas summer league roundup - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN