The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Position on Court

In our association we have summer clinics to help move back into officiating for the upcoming season. I have a couple of questions that I would like to run by everyone:

1) Where does everyone like to stand in relation to the boundary lines when calling? Run on the line? A little on the court? Or a little off the court? Or wherever your feet lead you?

2) On a jump ball when in the UMP 1 position (2 person crew) and the toss is made, do you wait for a team to get full possession before making the run towards the proper goal? Or, move in the direction you think the ball is going to go?
- I feel like sometimes I move too soon before the ball is even in full possession.

Thanks!
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 02:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coaches And Cheerleaders: Watch Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Where does everyone like to stand in relation to the boundary lines when calling? Run on the line? A little on the court? Or a little off the court? Or wherever your feet lead you?
The farther back away from the boundary I can get the better chance to get a more open, or "wider", look at the players and the play.

Of course, there is a limit. I'm not going far enough back to stand in the concession stand line. Unless, of course, a hot mom is working concessions that night.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 02:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
1) Where does everyone like to stand in relation to the boundary lines when calling? Run on the line? A little on the court? Or a little off the court? Or wherever your feet lead you?
About 4 or 5 feet is usually ideal, but that only depends on the court. You do not always have that much room or space for all kinds of reasons. But never work on the court as the lead while the ball is in the FC if you have room to not be there.

Quote:
2) On a jump ball when in the UMP 1 position (2 person crew) and the toss is made, do you wait for a team to get full possession before making the run towards the proper goal? Or, move in the direction you think the ball is going to go?
- I feel like sometimes I move too soon before the ball is even in full possession.
I only move when the ball moves and possession is clear or about to be clear. Never move just because you think something is going to happen that has not yet happened.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you move when possession is clear (or about to be clear, as JRutledge says) you may be slightly late in taking your position. If you move too early you will be late in case the ball actually goes in the opposite direction; by Murphy's law, this will surely happen.

We should do as in soccer: all players in their back court. The umpire will be sure about the direction of play, no more problems with over and back, ...
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 06:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Lead: hardly ever on the court. Rarely, if ever, when not in transition.
Trail: Move in an arc depending on where the ball is to get the best view. usually on the court.
Center: I move forward and backward depending on the ball location.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 06:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

My position on the court is usually either supine or prone, depending on how many games I've worked in a row.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 07:10pm
Esteemed Participant

I agree with Snaqs on the positioning infoo. The rule of thumb is to go where you need to go to referee the play. So there is no (or should be no) hard and fast rule about where exactly you stand in relation to endline, sideline, etc...

As for the tip...if the ball is tipped deep into one team's backcourt, retrieved there by the team going the other way, and there is pressure on that player - you need to get back there to referee that situation. The R will need to run down and become the Lead. Other than that situation, wait until you see who has possession and then sprint to where you need to be.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Lead: hardly ever on the court. Rarely, if ever, when not in transition.
Trail: Move in an arc depending on where the ball is to get the best view. usually on the court.
Center: I move forward and backward depending on the ball location.
I could be wrong, but I took the OP to be asking about where you stand to signal after you have a whistle. I'm sure he wasn't suggesting that Lead stand inbounds during a live ball.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

two man mechanics, as the trail you should RARELY be "hugging the sideline" as most officials do. Especially, when the ball is on the opposite side of where the trail is positioned it is essential that the trail move onto the court to get the best angle of the "action area". by doing that you also leave your lead with the responsibility of taking the rest of the 6-8 players which is why two man sucks! i think there are only a few states in the country that assign two man games and CA is one of them.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 07:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I could be wrong, but I took the OP to be asking about where you stand to signal after you have a whistle. I'm sure he wasn't suggesting that Lead stand inbounds during a live ball.
Well, one of us is wrong.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Well, one of us is wrong.
And I'm more charitable...
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 08:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
And I'm more charitable...
True enough; but that doesn't make it more reasonable.