The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In Texas, they are actually thinking about certifying officials to call 3 man. Go to a camp and get certified.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb Certification?

Hey,
If they can pull this off in Texas it might just pave the way for other states to see the importance of the 3 person crews. Who knows maybe being certified would allow officials to be in "Good Hands In All States"
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I don't know about that, but what they don't want to see is a three man game officiated in the playoffs and there is some bozo who doesn't know what he is doing. So by certifying officials, they are telling the coaches and the state, that this guy has gone through the training and knows what he is doing in a three man rotation.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Certification?

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Hey,
If they can pull this off in Texas it might just pave the way for other states to see the importance of the 3 person crews. Who knows maybe being certified would allow officials to be in "Good Hands In All States"
Where've you been, Love? States all over the good 'ol South have been using nothing but three man for years. And you guys U.P. North still won't come over to the dark side!
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 10:17pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Certification?

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
[snip] States all over the good 'ol South have been using nothing but three man for years. [snip]

Has Kentucky ever heard of three-man?
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: Re: Re: Certification?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
[snip] States all over the good 'ol South have been using nothing but three man for years. [snip]

Has Kentucky ever heard of three-man?
Only if it has something to do with inbreeding.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 11:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Certification?

Quote:
Hey,
Well Illinois has had 3 Person for all Playoff games for 5 years at least. Many schools or conferences have been doing 3 Person for about the same time and none of the neiaboring states have not changed. At least the ones that have some reciprocity with Illinois. I do think Kentucky has 3 Person, but Indiana and Iowa do not last I checked.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not all areas are the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Um, maybe by observing them? Ask a silly question. . .

Chuck
Well according to Love, something was not down correctly. Not all states have people to watch every officical during every game. I know in Illinois, the state (which is the only one that assigns playoffs) has no knowledge of what games I do or where I do them until after I have officiated it. And considering that all states do not evaluate the same, it might not be as easy as you think. I can only speak from my experience, when not one organization or person gives everyone games in my state. So the only thing you might be able to do is just ask? Unless you are going to use summer camps or tape evaluation, I do not see what else could be expected. That is the case in certain sports where I live, they just ask.

Peace

Illinois is not the only "state" that assigns playoffs. For state playoffs, my association sends a list of "qualified nominees" and the state, in conjunction with the association assignor, makes the determination of who will officiate and at what level (A, AA, or AAA). In a lot of cases, there is a mixed crew (different associations).
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Talking Certification!

BktballRef,
Here in New York we may not have caught up with most states in regard to 3 person crews on high school games, but we still lead the way in game fees for officials!

Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 07:24am
In Memoriam

Re: Certification!

Quote:
BktballRef,
Here in New York we may not have caught up with most states in regard to 3 person crews on high school games, but we still lead the way in game fees for officials!

Love2ref4Ever,
Could that be "Hazard Pay" ?
mick
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Talking Inbred Ref

Kentucky uses three man for all post-season assignments and for some regular season games. You have to attend a 3-man camp at least once every three years to be certified to work in the post-season.

I've got to go now. My sist..I mean wife, is calling.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 07:41am
In Memoriam

Talking Re: Inbred Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Kentucky uses three man for all post-season assignments and for some regular season games. You have to attend a 3-man camp at least once every three years to be certified to work in the post-season.

I've got to go now. My sist..I mean wife, is calling.
Barry,
That's sick!

Maybe it is Kansas that never saw three officials.
Those "K" states look alike.

mick
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Not all areas are the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I know in Illinois, the state (which is the only one that assigns playoffs) has no knowledge of what games I do or where I do them until after I have officiated it.
Illinois is not the only "state" that assigns playoffs. For state playoffs, my association sends a list of "qualified nominees" and the state, in conjunction with the association assignor, makes the determination of who will officiate and at what level (A, AA, or AAA). In a lot of cases, there is a mixed crew (different associations).
That's not what Jeff said. HE said that in Illinois, the State association is the only one that assigns playoffs. "Assigners" assign regular season games, but not playoffs.

He was making a contrast to Love2Ref's post -- where it appears that "assigners" assign playoffs and regular season games.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Just For Clarity

I don't believe here New York we receive a little bit more for games than some states because the work is more hazardous. I just believe it's that the cost of living is higher. Also, the assigners in the public schools league do not have the final say when it comes to the finals which are held at Madison Square Garden. They submit names and the comissioners of the league have the last word on who gets selected to work.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Just For Clarity

Quote:
I don't believe here New York we receive a little bit more for games than some states because the work is more hazardous. I just believe it's that the cost of living is higher. Also, the assigners in the public schools league do not have the final say when it comes to the finals which are held at Madison Square Garden. They submit names and the comissioners of the league have the last word on who gets selected to work.
To be clear, PSAL is one of 4 associations under the NY
state federation. PSAL is NYC public schools, the other 3
are NY State Catholic schools, NY State Public Schools
(outside of NYC) and NY State Independant. I believe only
the PSAL uses 3 man for their championships. NY State Fed
uses 2 man for their championship.