The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   can't have offensive "kicking" violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58472-cant-have-offensive-kicking-violation.html)

vbzebra Wed Jun 23, 2010 08:39pm

can't have offensive "kicking" violation?

In a game tonight, A1 dribbling, loses PC, kicks ball. I blow a kicking violation. at half, partner says you can't have an offensive kicking violation. I didn't know that. correct call? or correct partner? :eek:

APG Wed Jun 23, 2010 08:46pm

There is no provision in the rule that allows an offensive player to kick the ball. A kick ball violation is a violation for all.

I've had partners say this before. I usually always have my rule books with me and ask them kindly where I can find this "exception."

Adam Wed Jun 23, 2010 08:57pm

Now, the question is, did he kick it on purpose? That's all that matters. Typically, in your situation, the offensive player accidentally kicks it while running; no violation in that case.

mbyron Wed Jun 23, 2010 09:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 683087)
Now, the question is, did he kick it on purpose? That's all that matters. Typically, in your situation, the offensive player accidentally kicks it while running; no violation in that case.

I had a partner at camp last weekend who insisted on calling a kicking violation every time ball touched leg. Once it hit the back of the defender's leg. :rolleyes:

bainsey Wed Jun 23, 2010 09:26pm

I had an attempted steal bounce off my leg and out of bounds. The coach wanted a kicking violation on me. I told him it wasn't intentional.

CoachCER Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 683088)
I had a partner at camp last weekend who insisted on calling a kicking violation every time ball touched leg. Once it hit the back of the defender's leg. :rolleyes:

That seems to be a trend among some officials in Georgia, so much so that most coaches believe that any contact with the leg is automatically a kick. This just happened to come up in conversation with some coaches in our program the other night.

Rooster Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 683085)
In a game tonight, A1 dribbling, loses PC, kicks ball. I blow a kicking violation. at half, partner says you can't have an offensive kicking violation. I didn't know that. correct call? or correct partner? :eek:

Plus, once he or she loses PC he's no longer offensive player, right?

Nevadaref Thu Jun 24, 2010 02:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rooster (Post 683113)
Plus, once he or she loses PC he's no longer offensive player, right?

No, there would still be team control.

BillyMac Thu Jun 24, 2010 06:44am

A Soccer Game Broke Out ...

I had a recreation league game many years ago in which Team A was about to start a three on one fast break. Somehow the ball gets loose on the floor. A1 kicks the ball ahead to A2 for the uncontested layup, which didn't count because I called a kicking violation. Come to find out that A1 was a star player on the high school soccer team who was playing basketball in the winter to stay in shape.

SmokeEater Thu Jun 24, 2010 09:07am

I posted once a few years ago about a girl catching the ball on purpose between her legs. I called a violation and then took some time to explain intentional contact with the leg is a violation before she got T'd up. Honestly I could see it in her face as I made the call that an explanation was needed.

Rooster Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 683121)
No, there would still be team control.

Ahhh. I'm a dope. Because there could still be a backcourt violation... Duh!:o

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rooster (Post 683185)

Or a team control foul...or 3 seconds.

mbyron Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rooster (Post 683185)

Well, we don't say there's still team control because there could be BC violation. That's a symptom, not a cause.

There's still team control because none of the 3 things that ends team control has happened.

Adam Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 683195)
Well, we don't say there's still team control because there could be BC violation. That's a symptom, not a cause.

There's still team control because none of the 3 things that ends team control has happened.

Grammaticist!

Mark Padgett Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 683130)
Come to find out that A1 was a star player on the high school soccer team who was playing basketball in the winter to stay in shape.

Soccer - that's that game for kids who can't use their hands. :D