The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
5. Mirror signals, this is a hard one to do but if your partner calls a foul and it is close to your primary just put a fist in the air and no whistle. This helps to sell the call to coaches and players.
6. Talk to players and coaches, help them to not call game interupters.
Huh?
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 02:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
huh?
+1
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 02:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Here are my $.02

1) Mirror signals, this is a hard one to do but if your partner calls a foul and it is close to your primary just put a fist in the air and no whistle. This helps to sell the call to coaches and players.

2) Talk to players and coaches, help them to not call game interupters.

3) Have a patient whistle. If the ball goes in the hole and players played through the contact, play on.
And here's my questions:

1) Why should you try to sell the call when you didn't make it? Shouldn't the call sell itself?

2) I have no idea what you're talking about about. What is the "game interrupter" thingy that you're referring to?

3) Isn't all contact either illegal or incidental? How can "playing through ther contact" change illegal contact to incidental contact? Why should players have to play through anything that might slow them down, push 'em off-line, etc.?
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Here are my $.02

5. Mirror signals, this is a hard one to do but if your partner calls a foul and it is close to your primary just put a fist in the air and no whistle. This helps to sell the call to coaches and players.
6. Talk to players and coaches, help them to not call game interupters.
7. Have a patient whistle. If the ball goes in the hole and players played through the contact, play on.
5. NO! NO! NO! Absolutely do not do this. What are you going to do when you partner didn't really believe what he saw and passes it off to you? In a split second he's taken his eyes off the play, he's lost the number, you never had a number. There are a hundred things that could go wrong with this. Horrible advice db...Everyone please disregard this, it is not a good idea.

6. I have no idea what you're talking about

7. More bad advice, illegal contact must be penalized regardless of the outcome. If the contact is marginal, great play on. Waiting for the ball the go in basket is gutless officiating and is going to lead to problems and the death of you officiating aspirations.

I would usually apologize for sounding so rude, but this is just really bad advice and should be disregarded so I won't.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
7. More bad advice, illegal contact must be penalized regardless of the outcome. If the contact is marginal incidental, great play on. Waiting for the ball the go in basket is gutless officiating and is going to lead to problems and the death of you officiating aspirations.
Now I can agree with this. Sometimes, whether the contact is incidental or illegal requires us to wait for the outcome. By all means, have a patient whistle. That said, I do not wait to see if a basket is made. I see whether, and by how much, the shot is affected by the contact. If there's no significant negative impact on the shot, it's likely incidental. If there is, then foul.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Now I can agree with this. Sometimes, whether the contact is incidental or illegal requires us to wait for the outcome. By all means, have a patient whistle. That said, I do not wait to see if a basket is made. I see whether, and by how much, the shot is affected by the contact. If there's no significant negative impact on the shot, it's likely incidental. If there is, then foul.
Don't take this the wrong way, but that may be the smartest thing I have ever seen posted!!!!
It explains in a subtle way what could be called a "gamus interruptus" and pulls together nicely, 'marginal' into incidental contact. To some people these are the same thing, but this helps put everyone on the same page
< sniff sniff > I told myself I wouldn't cry < sniff sniff>
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Have a good time. Be yourself. Go with an open mind to learn and the mindset that you will be a better ref when you leave.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys i guess all i can do is do my thing not try anything different listen to the staff and see were I stack up and what I need to work on.Thanks for the advice guys.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

lets not make it more then it is...

Have fun, hustle, referee the best you can, listen, learn,meet new people, make some new officiating friends, improve, HAVE FUN.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Great info here! I just have a couple other things that you can try or toss:

Someone mentioned "puposeful movement" but I recently learned that "confident purposeful movement" is a very promoting factor when others are looking at you.

Act as if you belong there.

If the clinician has something for you at a t/o or halftime, try to make the adjustments immediately.
Clinicians/Supervisors are looking at: 1. Are you coachable? 2. How soon can you adapt?

Double down in the paint.

What you do AFTER you blow the whistle is so important. Be strong at the table. When reporting the players numbers "slap the window" dont "break the window."

Be a good partner. ie: "good get, Bob" "I have your shooter, Mary."
Non calling official get em lined up or set up OOB for the throw-in.

Commuicate, communicate, communicate!!
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 09:00pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
For the record I got this little "nugget" from someone else. I was at a conference where someone associated with ABA told this little story about picking up pennies. I have used it every since and it works.
Pretty sure I've heard this person speak as well. Are the initials "T.C.", by any chance?
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 10:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Allan Sherman Gives Some Great Camp Advice ...

YouTube - Allan Sherman - Hello Muddah Hello Faddah (1963)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 10:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Mean This Guy ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Are the initials "T.C.", by any chance?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)