The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 19, 2010, 09:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Table Problem ...

My local board works a high school scholarship tournament, gratis, the Doc Hurley Classic, in the XL Center (former Hartford Civic Center). "Big Time" court (UCONN). The first year we worked there, one of our veteran officials got confused and reported a foul to the press table, that was on the other side of the court from the scorer's table. He never lived that down.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 19, 2010 at 10:51am.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2010, 11:22am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My local board works a high school scholarship tournament, gratis, the Doc Hurley Classic, in the XL Center (former Hartford Civic Center). "Big Time" court (UCONN). The first year we worked there, one of our veteran officials got confused and reported a foul to the press table, that was on the other side of the court from the scorer's table. He never lived that down.
That happens to me all the time in our local kids rec league. In fact, a couple of times I've reported to the television crew.

Yeah, right.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 12:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Probably my funniest game yet was a boys HS rec game. One of the coaches came out dressed as Bozo the clown. At first, I didn't notice it because he just looked like a lot of other coaches. About 10 seconds into the game, he jumped straight up off the bench and yelled about a call. Unfortunately for him, when he jumped up, his head got cut off by a ceiling fan. It rolled out onto the court and was picked up by one of the players. He bounced it and the nose hit the floor, giving off a squeak. He asked me if they could use this as the ball for the rest of the game. I told him we couldn't because it was only a 28.5. He said what if they all played like girls? I thought about it for a moment and said OK. The rest of the game went fine but with a lot of squeaks. At one time, one of the players tried to dunk but his fingers were caught in the eye sockets and he couldn't let go of the head. He hung on the rim and I had to call a T. Final score was 4-2.

Can you tell I ran out of meds?
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 03:01pm
Administrator

Early 1990's (1992 to be exact): Michigan AAU Girls' 14U Championship game, with about 200 hundred people in attendance (The winner qualifies for the National Championship tournament; actually the Michigan AAU's qualifiying tournament is so large that it qualifies the top three teams, but I digress.) and Team B's HC is starting to get more and more annoying as the game progresses and we have only played about five minutes. I am the T and Team B's PG (she is also Team B's Captain) is dribbling the ball up the court and while she is still in her team's backcourt he starts up again and I tell her that she needs to get her HC under control. Without stopping her dribble she stops and yells to her coach: "Dad! () Shut up, you are embarrasing me." The stands erupts into laughter, B-HC's face turns bright RED, and he doesn't say a word the rest of the game.

And on this Father's Day I somehow still feel sorry for him, .

MTD, Sr.

P.S. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!! to all of us father's out there.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Early 1990's (1992 to be exact): Michigan AAU Girls' 14U Championship game, with about 200 hundred people in attendance (The winner qualifies for the National Championship tournament; actually the Michigan AAU's qualifiying tournament is so large that it qualifies the top three teams, but I digress.) and Team B's HC is starting to get more and more annoying as the game progresses and we have only played about five minutes. I am the T and Team B's PG (she is also Team B's Captain) is dribbling the ball up the court and while she is still in her team's backcourt he starts up again and I tell her that she needs to get her HC under control. Without stopping her dribble she stops and yells to her coach: "Dad! () Shut up, you are embarrasing me." The stands erupts into laughter, B-HC's face turns bright RED, and he doesn't say a word the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.

Classic
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Working a Soph. boys game a few years ago. Small crowd, the kind where you can hear individual voices. Clearly. Dad from the visiting team has a bee in his bonnet about something, and is making a real spectacle of himself. After one call, and a particularly obvious bit of daddy commentary, visiting team 2 guard turns to me and says sheepishly, "I'm sorry. My dad gets a little out of control sometimes." I just smiled at him and said, "No worries. I had a dad too". Kid was my best friend for the rest of the game.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 05:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pants On Fire ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Final score was 4-2.
Sorry. I don't believe your story. You would never let a game get this close to overtime. Never. Ever.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 05:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I have a kind of "stock" saying when a kid takes a shot after the whistle for a violation. It's "don't shoot after the whistle. It confuses the scorer and he's not too sharp to begin with." About three years ago I had a kid respond, "Yeah, I know. He's my dad."
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner