The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 08:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking OT - Funny stuff

Since we're in the off season, I thought a fun thread to have would be for us to share some of the funniest things we've ever seen happen in our games. I could probably list a ton of them, but I'll start with just this one.

MS boys game. Prior to the game, a player comes over to me and asks if he has to remove his nipple rings. At first I thought he was kidding, but he was serious. I said, "Uh, yeah". He turned toward his coach and told him he had to go to the locker room for a few minutes. My partner said to me, "Gee, how would you like to be his dad?" I replied, "Uh, no."
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Years ago, I was doing a rec league game and former NBA player Maurice Lucas' oldest son, Maurice Jr. (Reece) was in the game. Maurice was watching from right next to the bench.

The other team was shooting a two shot foul. After the first shot, which missed, Reece jumped into the lane, leaped up and "ripped down" the rebound, yelling as he did it. He then stood there with the ball while he realized there was another shot.

Maurice yelled from the seats, "Reece, get your head in the game." Reece looked real sheepish as he handed the ball to my partner. Maurice then said, "nice board, though".

Here's another one: prior to a game, I noticed the center for one of the teams (girls varsity level) was wearing her watch. I told her to remove it. She walked over to the stands and handed it to her dad, who was sitting a few rows up.

During the first quarter, my partner and I called her for 3 seconds at least four times. After the fourth, her dad yelled, "let her put her watch back on".
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 06:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'll chime in with a few of my favorites

These are from several yrs back and both Rec Games:

Halftime, B12:

As I'm leaving the court, A Coach comes up and says, "Ref, you gotta watch B5. When he sets his screens, he jumps into the player and hooks his arm and has a tendency to hold."

I said, "I haven't noticed it coach, but I'll keep an eye out."

He says, "Seriously, he does it all the time. I know, I taught him last year when he played for me..... He's crafty about it too."

and,

B13U:

W41 comes off the bench and I call three fouls on him in about four minutes! He doesn't appear to be a bad kid, just a bit too aggressive and out of control at times (IMO).

As I’m reporting his third foul, he walks by me up to his coach and says, “Coach, I need to come out. I’m in foul trouble.”

At which point, I say, “You don’t need to come out son. You need to stop fouling.”

The coach left him in. Interestingly enough, I can’t recall calling another foul on him the rest of the game……
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 09:01am
Back from the DL

Different sport, but this was only three days ago, so I'm going with it.

U-14 soccer, Team A is up 7-0 with about five minutes left, when Team B finally scores.

Now only up six goals late in the game, a Team A midfielder cries, "Come on, guys! We can still win this!"
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post

Here's another one: prior to a game, I noticed the center for one of the teams (girls varsity level) was wearing her watch. I told her to remove it. She walked over to the stands and handed it to her dad, who was sitting a few rows up.

During the first quarter, my partner and I called her for 3 seconds at least four times. After the fourth, her dad yelled, "let her put her watch back on".
hahaha...
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Two years ago, JVG game. Visiting team has the ball with about a minute left in the half. They go through a sequence of about 3 or 4 offensive rebounds, and a home team Dad yells "Three seconds!" Right after he yelled it, a home team girl got the rebound, turned, and launched a very short full court shot attempt with about 50 seconds left in the half.

The other parents were giving dad a hard time the rest of the game.

A few years ago working an early season JVB game. V1 catches the ball off balance, with his feet in the air, and proceeds to land on his can. I call the travel. V coach, who had previously taken both boys and girls teams to state finals at the varsity level, tells me (I'm on the endline near his bench) that the butt cheek is the pivot. I laughed (seriously thought he was joking), and he said, "I'm serious, the cheek becomes the pivot." I later found out he was an official for a time.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 09:41am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A few years ago working an early season JVB game. V1 catches the ball off balance, with his feet in the air, and proceeds to land on his can. I call the travel. V coach, who had previously taken both boys and girls teams to state finals at the varsity level, tells me (I'm on the endline near his bench) that the butt cheek is the pivot. I laughed (seriously thought he was joking), and he said, "I'm serious, the cheek becomes the pivot." I later found out he was an official for a time.
Is this the origin of the infamous "pivot cheek?"

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Jun 16, 2010 at 09:44am.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I've got a personal favorite. I was working a sophomore game and called a foul on a visiting player. A fan of the visiting team yells from the stands "That was a horrible call (after a short pause) EVEN FOR YOU !!" I actually got a chuckle out of that one.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 09:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Is this the origin of the infamous "pivot cheek?
He was old enough, it might be connected.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 10:15am
Archaic Power Monger

While administering a throw-in during a freshman boys game, the defense was applying serious pressure and the thrower could not get his throw off. I was up to 3 in my count when the thrower turns to me with a wide eyed look of panic and yells "WAIT! Hold on!!!" I almost spit my whistle out trying to surpress the laugh.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 10:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
While administering a throw-in during a freshman boys game, the defense was applying serious pressure and the thrower could not get his throw off. I was up to 3 in my count when the thrower turns to me with a wide eyed look of panic and yells "WAIT! Hold on!!!" I almost spit my whistle out trying to surpress the laugh.
He should have given you the ball back, therefore, the count starts over, right?
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

How come every boy and girl that plays summer ball "just" got their ears pierced and can't take their earrings out and asked if they can be taped. My answer is always the same...NO! Your ears will not close up in 45 minutes.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

summer league...one of my partners calls a travel. I'm C (on "fans" side of the gym) and as I'm going to other end of the floor I hear (apparently from "mom") "c-mon ref, that wasn't a travel, he's just that darn fast!". I couldn't help but chuckle...
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Many years ago while in the Air Force and stationed in Korea, my squadron played an officers vs enlisted game to raise money for a local orphanage we supported. The E's were killing the O's (big surprise there, huh? ) when one of the O's trying to take a charge on a fast break, caught a knee to a most delicate part of the anatomy. The O's "coach" for the game was a hot, young, blonde 2nd lieutenant who was dressed to kill in a short black dress and spiked heels. She came prancing out on the court to check on her injured player. As she got to him and asked if he was okay, the guy mustered enough energy to say as loudly as he could, "Coach, kiss my injury". The house came down as she turned about 12 shades of red.

Okay, full disclosure, I was the injured player.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 11:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Years ago, I was doing a rec league game and former NBA player Maurice Lucas' oldest son, Maurice Jr. (Reece) was in the game. Maurice was watching from right next to the bench.

The other team was shooting a two shot foul. After the first shot, which missed, Reece jumped into the lane, leaped up and "ripped down" the rebound, yelling as he did it. He then stood there with the ball while he realized there was another shot.

Maurice yelled from the seats, "Reece, get your head in the game." Reece looked real sheepish as he handed the ball to my partner. Maurice then said, "nice board, though".

Ya' know - when you copy an old post of someone else's, it's common courtesy to indicate whose post it was. Of course, I could have Maurice come over there and show you why he had a reputation as an "enforcer".