The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Has anyone ever seen anyone call a "T" on a defender for putting a hand in a shooter's face in an NCAA D1 game? Ever? In a high school varsity game? In any game?

Has anyone ever heard of that particular call having been made in an NCAA D1 game? State final? Whatever?

I haven't.

Would you make that call in a college camp this summer?
I saw this called at the state tournament this year and twice in the regular season HS (both girls games.) On the collegiate level, I know an official had a discrete discussion with a coach and player about the practice and the advisability of discontinuing it.
I can't recall seeing it more than a few times in the past couple of years, but for some reason I am seeing more of it this spring. I have been handling by simply saying to the coach or player "Not for nothing but did you know if a player puts their hands in the face of an opponent for the sole purpose of blocking their vision is a "T"?" That has usually taken care of it. I think this is different than the leg tap play b/c there is no contact and I think you can get away with warning and avoid adding what some may think as crap into the game. Again, just my semi solid opinion!