The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Leg Tap (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58253-leg-tap.html)

Indianaref Fri May 28, 2010 07:44pm

Leg Tap

Are you calling this "driveby leg tap" if A) You had not previously warned or B) You had warned this player

Leg Tap on Yahoo! Video

APG Fri May 28, 2010 08:01pm

To me, there is no way to see the play from the angle we are presented. It certainly didn't look like much the official would easily have the best angle on the play.

Jurassic Referee Fri May 28, 2010 09:46pm

The ONLY way that we would ever know for sure what happened on any play like this would be to ask the calling official.

BktBallRef Sat May 29, 2010 12:25am

Warning a player not to foul???? Huh??? :confused:

Anchor Sat May 29, 2010 07:48am

Obvious by the way that he reports the foul he is motivated in calling it. Whether there has been a warning is irrelevant--he has seen it before, maybe even in this game, and is putting a stop to it.

Like the little tummy poke that has been popular in the past--it has absolutely nothing to do with the game. The warning I give is to the captain. I tell him to cut it out because if I call it, it will be intentional.

Indianaref Sat May 29, 2010 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 679170)
Warning a player not to foul???? Huh??? :confused:

Yeah

BktBallRef Sat May 29, 2010 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 679196)
Yeah

No.

I don't warn kids not to foul. I don't work with anyone that I have heard warn someone not to foul. If he fouls, call it. If it's not a foul, don't call it.

Adam Sat May 29, 2010 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 679206)
No.

I don't warn kids not to foul. I don't work with anyone that I have heard warn someone not to foul. If he fouls, call it. If it's not a foul, don't call it.

Let me ask, then, do you deal with this play at all? Shooter goes up, defender does the drive by leg tap or stomach tap. There's no real advantage or effect on the shot, but it's hard to consider it "incidental" to playing the ball so I wonder if the contact is truly incidental.

Indianaref Sat May 29, 2010 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 679206)
No.

OK then, I have you and everyone that has ever worked with you as Yes on A & B.

eg-italy Sun May 30, 2010 04:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 679211)
Let me ask, then, do you deal with this play at all? Shooter goes up, defender does the drive by leg tap or stomach tap. There's no real advantage or effect on the shot, but it's hard to consider it "incidental" to playing the ball so I wonder if the contact is truly incidental.

If it's not incidental, call a foul. You don't call a foul if the contact causes no advantage (or disadvantage) and it is incidental. Not or.

In this particular case, the "warning" would be precisely calling a foul (assuming, of course, that the contact is a real one and not just a quick dusting).

Ciao

Adam Sun May 30, 2010 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eg-italy (Post 679245)
If it's not incidental, call a foul. You don't call a foul if the contact causes no advantage (or disadvantage) and it is incidental. Not or.

In this particular case, the "warning" would be precisely calling a foul (assuming, of course, that the contact is a real one and not just a quick dusting).

Ciao

Rule 4-27-3 seems to contradict my previous post, to be honest.
"Contact which does not hinder the opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental."

Frankly, eg, this also contradicts your post. By this rule, contact which does not create an advantage or disadvantage is, by definition, incidental. So, in the case of the shooter getting his leg tapped, it seems as if it's by rule incidental and therefore not a foul.

Camron Rust Sun May 30, 2010 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 679259)
"Contact which does not hinder the opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental."

Frankly, eg, this also contradicts your post. By this rule, contact which does not create an advantage or disadvantage is, by definition, incidental. So, in the case of the shooter getting his leg tapped, it seems as if it's by rule incidental and therefore not a foul.

The advantage need not be physical, it could be mental. It could have the effect of disturbing the shooter's focus on subsequent shots when he/she anticipates getting poked in the leg/gut.

Adam Sun May 30, 2010 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 679260)
The advantage need not be physical, it could be mental. It could have the effect of disturbing the shooter's focus on subsequent shots when he/she anticipates getting poked in the leg/gut.

Except that by rule, it doesn't say "advantage/disadvantage," it talks about normal offensive and defensive movements. I don't see what rule basis there is for extending that to mental advantage.

BillyMac Sun May 30, 2010 12:34pm

M.E.D.: Mental Enhancing Drugs ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 679261)
Mental advantage.

Please pack some up, and ship some out to Mark Padgett as soon as possible.

eg-italy Sun May 30, 2010 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 679259)

I use a different rule set, as you probably know (FIBA):
Quote:

47.3 When deciding on a personal contact or violation, the officials shall, in each instance, have regard to and weigh the following fundamental principles:
• Consistency in the application of the concept of 'advantage/disadvantage', whereby the officials should not seek to interrupt the flow of the game unnecessarily in order to penalise personal contact that is incidental and which does not give the player responsible an advantage nor place his opponent at a disadvantage.
Moreover, as Camron Rust points out, you should also consider other factors: intimidation, for example. I didn't say that a leg tap or a light poke in the ribs is necessarily a foul; but that the appropriate warning, if you think this behavior needs one, is to call a foul.

I believe this applies also to Fed's view of the game.

Ciao