The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 03:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
IMO, it is more a logistical issue. On a T the calling official goes opposite table, on any other foul the calling official goes table side.
In which officiating manual do you find this?

For the record, I can only recall one T where an explanation was needed; an AAU game where I rang up an assistant coach for standing up to yell at me about a call. HC thanked me after the game, stating he didn't know that rule. He may well have been truthful.

Every other T I've called and seen called, the coach knew why he got it. When they ask why, it's a purely rhetorical question that simply serves as their little protest. Sort of like when my kids cry "that's not fair" when I make a decision they don't like.

While I'm as likely as not to mock my kids when they do it, I think silence is a better option to the coach.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 03:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
During a recent game, I called a ten second violation. The coach was upset [his team would go on to record one point in the 2nd half] and said, "I didn't see your count." He would have to have been blind to not see the visible count. A couple minutes later, while his team was on defense, he started "1001...1002". Tweet. The only explanation I gave was to my partner.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 04:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
During a recent game, I called a ten second violation. The coach was upset [his team would go on to record one point in the 2nd half] and said, "I didn't see your count." He would have to have been blind to not see the visible count. A couple minutes later, while his team was on defense, he started "1001...1002". Tweet. The only explanation I gave was to my partner.
And did your partner explain it to the exasperated and befuddled coach?
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I hope he did otherwise, he might be seen as weak and "sans nads" by others on this board!! What I can't believe is that he actually told his partner what the "T" was for. Scandalous!! What next? Interns at the White House? Gambling at Ricks?!?!
This is a great example of communication, IMO. Had "Mr Arithamtic" asked for an explaination, I would have been turning the sarcasm filter on high!! Probably ending on either "Seriously!?" or "Coach, the problem is our count starts at 0 and apparently yours starts at 1000!!" (ok maybe not THAT one)
As for the foul rotation you asked about earlier, I am using 3 person mechanics. You did pique my interest, b/c I couldn't give you a manual reference for the "T". It apparently falls in the, everywhere I work does it that way so it must be correct. It's just what I have been told from day one. I'll have to dust off the manual and see what that says. Geez, next you will tell me we are supposed to go back and fourth on the endline!!
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

LOL, the mechanic doesn't differentiate between Ts and regular fouls, IMS. We're an IAABO state, and just went opposite last year for all fouls. When we were table side, we stayed table side on Ts. The option was there to go opposite if the situation was particularly volatile, but I never used it.
Actually, whether the partner explains a call to a coach has no bearing on JR's opinion of his possession or lack of possession of huevos. Honestly, anything more than "you'll have to ask him when he gets a chance to get over here" is overstepping, IMO.
However, as always, when in Rome. Just don't use the stop sign.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 05:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
JURRASIC; You may need to brush up on both your reading an anatomical skills. I never said I would NOT give the coach an explaination and I didn't read that in TEXAS' post either.
Maybe you ought to go back and read what you both wrote:

Judtech- "Now when my partner goes to the coach he can tell them what happened."

Texas Aggie- "informs the partner so that he can go talk with the coach and explain if needed and if possible."

If YOU make the call, then YOU should be the ONLY one explaining the call if a coach asks for an explanation. Not your partner. Not ever. And if you go back and read the posts in this thread, you'll find that opinion is unanimous from all of the other responding posters.

Again, your partner should never be discussing your call with a coach. Ever!

That is terrible advice from both you and Texas Aggie. And I'm sureashell not the only one telling both of you that.

You seem to have real problems comprehending what people are trying to tell you.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 05:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Honestly, anything more than "you'll have to ask him when he gets a chance to get over here" is overstepping, IMO.
And also in everybody else's opinion except for Judtech and Texas Aggie......
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 07:41pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Yes. He said, "You have lost your coaching box privileges and have to sit down now."
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 08:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Yes. He said, "You have lost your coaching box privileges and have to sit down now."
I need one of the laughing smiley thingies.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

Judtech- "Now when my partner goes to the coach he can tell them what happened."
Texas Aggie- "informs the partner so that he can go talk with the coach and explain if needed and if possible."
Again, your partner should never be discussing your call with a coach. Ever!
That is terrible advice from both you and Texas Aggie. And I'm sureashell not the only one telling both of you that.
You seem to have real problems comprehending what people are trying to tell you.
Yet strangly absent from either of those quotes were words to the effect "So I don't have to talk to the coach" Before jumping to conclusions, you should have all the information. You just assumed that I would not talk to a coach about a situation. No one asked (except SNAQdaddy) where we position ourselves on 3 person in this situation. No one asked what we would do in a 2 person crew where the calling offiical was not administering FT's. No one asked what we would do in 3 person crew where the calling official stays table side. Knowing the answers to these questions would give you a better understanding of where we are coming from. Nope, you just wanted to jump in and think the worst of two of your fellow officials. Personally, I prefer to think the best of my fellow officials.
What there seems to be is a difference of norms in different areas. In the college or high school games called in this area, there isnt the sensitivity to discussing calls (appropriately) with coaches. Case in point: In a game tonite B50 drives to the basket and gets blocked by W44. Secondary defender W12 pushes B50 while in the air. Lead official comes out with a foul on W12. As we are on the other end, I am now standing next to W's coach. He is insistent that "it was all ball". I tell the coach "You are right 44 had a nice block, however, 12 was underneath and called for the push". According to you this is inappropriate b/c I am discussing my partners call. I should have said "coach, if you don't like it discuss it with them" According to the lead who made the call, who also happens to be one of the local assignors, pointed that situation out to the 3 'newbies' as a good example of a crew working together and diffusing a situation by calming down a coach. We teach our crews to trust each other. But heaven help you after the game if syou sell a fellow official out to a coach!
SNAQmasterflash: Yeah, if it is a player "T" then we usually stay table side. If it is a coach "T" we usually send them opposite. That way if the coach needs to have an early exit, there will be another official right there to do the honors. The thought process is that it avoids the perception that a particular official is "out to get" a coach. That's not to say the calling official on the other side of the floor wont come toss the coach!!!!
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Old Thu May 20, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Did you get the buttered layered and extra salt? I also hope you snuck in your own soft drink, those things are EXPENSIVE!
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes it's best to just sit back and enjoy the show.
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 07:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yet strangly absent from either of those quotes were words to the effect "So I don't have to talk to the coach" ...
I'm still trying to figure out why any official needs to "explain" or "tell" anything to a coach after that coach has received a Technical.
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why any official needs to "explain" or "tell" anything to a coach after that coach has received a Technical.
My best guess is the same reasons shows like 24 and Lost are so popular. Even refs are human and humans seem to be attracted to unfolding drama where the most unbelievable thing will happen next.

The real answer is so the coach knows the type and nature of the foul. Delay of game, behaviour, reporting error and so that the coach knows what exactly to avoid in the future.

They're only coaches for gawd sakes, if you don't teach them who will :P

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!