Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Coach: "Snaqwells, why'd he give me a T?"
Me: "Coach, you'll have to ask Rocky when the game flow allows it."
Why do you feel the coach is entitled to ask you this question? Why are you standing right next to the coach while free throws are being shot?

Quote:
Coach: "Then what the hell were you two talking about out there"
The only response that would evoke from me is: "Coach, thats the end of this conversation"
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:04pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Coach: "Then what the hell were you two talking about out there"...
Tweet. That's two, for the ejection.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
SNAQ, you know I love ya....BUT
Coach: "Then what the hell were you two talking about out there" or "Obviously you don't think I deserved it either"
I will agree that MOST coaches know exactly what they did.
I will also disagree about your foul analogy. When we call a foul we don't just raise our fist and say "Foul". We signify the player and what type of foul. We let them know if it was a push, hit or hold. There are those that even make a sweeping motion with their hands to emphasize the push or smack the side of the head to signify they got hit in the head. To me, no different than a "T". So my hypothetical situational conversation would be
Coach "Jud, why did she give me a T?"
Me: "Coach, you called her a bad name"
Coach "No I didn't"
Me: "Coach, it's what we heard. (HS) Now you are going to have to take a seat coach for the rest of the game" and walk away.
I usually do what Padgett does, and just ask if I don't know. However ,when I am the calling official, I also let the partner know. I'm just a big fan of keeping my partners informed. Not such a fan of keeping secrets. But that is just me.
I'm sorry, but when my partner calls a foul, I'm not watching him report it. Are you? 9 times out of 10, I have no idea what the foul was unless it was a double whistle situation. If I'm curious, I'll ask later.

Do you need to know how A1 traveled, or what he did to draw the illegal dribble call?

Here's one. You're L in 3-man and the C calls an off ball foul on A2. As you run down the court, A2 asks you what he did. What do you tell him? Personally, even if I saw the C give the push signal, I'm not telling A2 anything because I don't know.

Now, to your hypothetical:

It's not a secret. If my partner wants to know, I'll tell, I promise. I'm not, however, going to offer the information when it's not pertinent.

Coach: "Then what the hell were you two talking about out there"

Me: "I was just confirming that you have lost your coaching box privileges. And you have."
or "Obviously you don't think I deserved it either"
"Coach, just a reminder that you've lost the coaching box privilege, so you'll need to have a seat. Thank you."

I'm not engaging that last piece. If the coach is going to make the sort of logical leap that would make Robbie Knievel think twice, I'm walking away so everyone knows why I give him the T he's about to earn. I highly doubt he's going to let me walk away without comment, and there's nothing I can say to that to difuse it.

Honestly, if it's a lower level game, I'm ringing him up again right there for trying to split the crew. He's done.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why do you feel the coach is entitled to ask you this question? Why are you standing right next to the coach while free throws are being shot?

The only response that would evoke from me is: "Coach, thats the end of this conversation"
Well you can't rightly put a muzzle on a coach (although I THOUGHT I saw that in the Proposed Rules Changes thread) so they are most likely going to say something. How you chose to respond to it is up to you. If a coach is asking me a question in an appropriate manner, then I will resond. If he doesn't like the answer and keeps it up, I'd say you asked for an explaination and I gave you one. You may not like it, but we are now done discussing it." If they are acting and talking inappropriately, then I am not going to respond until/if they calm down. If they keep pushing it, then I will send them on their way.
As for positioning, I don't want to speak for SNAQ, but I didn't say I was standing right next to the coach during the FT's. At some point one of the officials will be near that coaches area. In 2 person, you will need to inform them to have a seat, and you most likely will have the book call you over to make sure everyone is penalized properly. You will probably have to communicate with the other coach as to who/whom (don't start!) they want to shoot the FT. All ample time for the coach to talk to/at you.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

I would expect no different responses than the above from you, Newz.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

SNAQ, I agree with you on the 'common' fouls, but we also don't get together when we call a common foul either like we do with "T's". I will chalk this up to Potato / Potatoe. Just remember if we ever officiate together, I 'm going to ask!!!!
What can I say, I'm curious like a cat!!
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Around here (not everywhere), one partner is expected to remind the coach he has lost use of the box.
That's the only reason I'm within speaking distance of him, though, and any questions he asks will be answered, but he isn't likely to like my answers.
If I'm feeling like a smart-a$$, I might repsond with, "Coach, remember what you said right before he blew the whistle? That's why you go it."
or
"Coach, you were part of that conversation, I wasn't; so you know better than I do."
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
SNAQ, I agree with you on the 'common' fouls, but we also don't get together when we call a common foul either like we do with "T's". I will chalk this up to Potato / Potatoe. Just remember if we ever officiate together, I 'm going to ask!!!!
What can I say, I'm curious like a cat!!
You're right, we get together briefly on Ts, but it's to make sure we get the penalties right and nothing more.
In Padgett's games, where Ts are handed out like travel calls, there would be no need to get together because it would be old hat.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If a coach is asking me a question in an appropriate manner, then I will respond. If he doesn't like the answer and keeps it up, I'd say you asked for an explaination and I gave you one. You may not like it, but we are now done discussing it." If they are acting and talking inappropriately, then I am not going to respond until/if they calm down. If they keep pushing it, then I will send them on their way.
You just don't get it. If a coach is asking for an explanation of a call, it's up to the calling official to explain that call. The calling official may not like your answer that you gave to the coach. It also makes the calling official look weak if they won't step up to explain their own calls.There's no room for confusion if it's done the right way.

I know guys that would rip your head off and crap in the hole on top of your neck if you pulled that nonsense on them. Not me though. I'm a nice guy. You would hear about it though. Guaranteed.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You just don't get it. If a coach is asking for an explanation of a call, it's up to the calling official to explain that call. The calling official may not like your answer that you gave to the coach. It also makes the calling official look weak if they won't step up to explain their own calls.There's no room for confusion if it's done the right way.

I know guys that would rip your head off and crap in the hole on top of your neck if you pulled that nonsense on them. Not me though. I'm a nice guy. You would hear about it though. Guaranteed.
You've officiated games with Col Jessup?
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

+1
well, all but the crap in the hole part. I can't handle that.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I might repsond with, "Coach, remember what you said right before he blew the whistle? That's why you go it."
or
"Coach, you were part of that conversation, I wasn't; so you know better than I do."
I like that! Hope I get to use it soon
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 02:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In Padgett's games, where Ts are handed out like travel calls.....
HEY - I resent that. I hardly ever call travels.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you talking about on a "T" or a garden variety foul? On a garden variety foul why would I explain what another official called? On a "T" we are getting together, exchanging information and the calling official is heading away from the bench. If the coach wants to know what happened, with the afore mentioned caveat's, then I am going to repeat what the calling official said to me. In my view this shows that we are on the same page. You obviously feel differently.
I have seen officials get animated after a game (one came to blows, which was cool considering who was involved) when they felt their partner didn't back them up by saying "Ask them, I don't know" when there was a "T" called. So who is right and who is wrong? Maybe it just varies between associations and geography.
As for those guys doing the ripping and crapping, we all know that violence is the first resort of the ignorant!
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 03:04pm
Huck Finn

First let me say

I was reading this post and stopped to read the PM from BNR that included a link that sent me right back here.

I don't have much to add that others, minus the two who want to explain the call, have said. One thing I will add it using space to stay out of trouble. Using information from the CIAA camp years ago, when I have to inform the coach that he has lost the privilege to stand in this situation I keep a reasonable amount of distance, inform him/her about the loss of the box and then they get to look at my backside. I will NOT literally or figuratively go right over there and give the coach a hug while I hear how bad of a person the big, bad official is for calling a T.

Did I say this? R I D I C U L O U S