The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

spurned rules changes

. Some of the rejected rule change proposals rejected by the committee:

-- A whole mess of them dealing with uniforms. Most involve imaginary lines and horizontal planes. Since they didn't pass, I didn't read them. Uniform rules make my head hurt, since somehow I think it's all about manufacturer's logos.

-- Changing closely guarded to three feet.

-- Eliminating closely guarded while dribbling.

-- 4-12-7 When there is player control and the ball is being contested by members of opposing teams, while the ball and player are on the floor ONLY the player in control or a player of the same team may request timeout.

-- ART. 2 . . . A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
b. If one foot is on the floor:
1. Either foot may be the pivot when the other foot touches in a step. When a foot is lifted off the floor the other shall be the pivot.

-- Playing the game in 18-minute halves by state association adoption?

-- Playing the game in 16-minute halves by state association adoption?

-- Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds. Delete from 10-3-2

-- Allow state adoption of shot clock. Since it was rejected, discussion of elimination of ten second count or closely guarded in states with a shot clock were moot. (a completely inane proposal, since any state that wants a shot clock can just do it anyway)

-- Proposals for six minute quarters below ninth grade, eight minutes for teams with ninth graders

The survey revealed that the two-whistle mechanic change that put the calling official as table-side trail was given favorable rating by 92 percent of coaches and only 59 percent of officials. What a shock, Coach likes being able to jabber at a friendly nearby calling official during foul shots
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Interesting. Where did you get this information? I'd like to read the original, if available.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Interesting. Where did you get this information? I'd like to read the original, if available.
Read this document, Bob.

http://www.miaa.net/NFHS-Basketball-Minutes-2009.pdf

It contains the actual text of all rules changes which were considered. This is helpful as we now know how the coming changes are actually written.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Important equipment change!!!

NOTE that knee braces no longer need to be padded!

"Knee and ankle braces which are unaltered from the manufacturer’s original design/production are permitted and do not require any additional padding/covering."

(approved as an editorial change)
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 10:55pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
-- 4-12-7 When there is player control and the ball is being contested by members of opposing teams, while the ball and player are on the floor ONLY the player in control or a player of the same team may request timeout.

-- Allow state adoption of shot clock.

-- Proposals for six minute quarters below ninth grade, eight minutes for teams with ninth graders
Regarding the first one quoted here, is this another way of saying a coach can't call time out under the circumstances? As for the other two, state's are already allowed shot clock adoption (seven states use it, two for girls only), and the quarter times are already as listed. What did I miss?
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
As for the other two, state's are already allowed shot clock adoption (seven states use it, two for girls only), and the quarter times are already as listed. What did I miss?
You're overlooking that you are factually incorrect.

The NFHS currently has eight sanctioned state association adoptions. They are listed on page 65 of the Rules Book. The shot clock is NOT one of them.

Therefore, any state which elects to employ a shot clock does so against the wishes of the NFHS and hence forfeits its right to have a representative sit on the national rules committee or to submit rule change requests.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 01:19pm
Back from the DL

Very well. So, do the seven states that have a shot clock (Oregon and Maryland, girls only; Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, North Dakota, and California, both genders) have their respective basketball rule books? Or, do they pick-and-choose certain NFHS rules as they see fit?
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 01:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Very well. So, do the seven states that have a shot clock (Oregon and Maryland, girls only; Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, North Dakota, and California, both genders) have their respective basketball rule books? Or, do they pick-and-choose certain NFHS rules as they see fit?
I don't think your list is all-inclusive. Doesn't WA use the shot clock? There may be others as well.

As far as I know, they do what most states do with regard to the coaching box, utilize the NFHS book and issue specific exceptions.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

We use the NFHS rulebook with appropriate modifications for California-

1600. GIRLS MODIFICATION
The National Federation Basketball Rules shall be modified for girls basketball as follows:
A. Utilization of 30-second shot clock.
B. Utilization of midcourt line.
C. No 10-second rule in backcourt.
D. Utilization of five-second count for holding the ball only.

1601. BOYS MODIFICATION
The National Federation Basketball Rules shall be modified for boys basketball as follows:
A. Utilization of a 35-second shot clock.

1602. UNIFORMS
The National Federation boys and girls uniform rules shall be waived to allow for the wearing of a shirt with diagonal or tailed lettering at the non-varsity level.

1607. MERCY RULE
When at the conclusion of the third quarter, or any point thereafter, if there is a point differential of 40 or
more points, a
running clock shall be instituted for the remainder of the game, regardless of the score. This applies to all
levels of play.
(ApprovedMay 2004 Federated Council)
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't think your list is all-inclusive. Doesn't WA use the shot clock? There may be others as well.

As far as I know, they do what most states do with regard to the coaching box, utilize the NFHS book and issue specific exceptions.
This is correct. In New York, NFHS rules are used for only boys basketball. Our exceptions to the NFHS set are the shot clock, timeouts (4 - 60/game, 1 - 30/half), and a few others.

Similarly, girls baskeball uses NCAAW rules, with their own set of exceptions (4 - 8 minute periods being the most notable).
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Good Old Days ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Utilization of midcourt line.
Is this the line, at the twenty-eight foot hash mark, that separates the forecourt from the midcourt? How is it "utilized"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:22pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Based on the research I did on the high school shot clock three years ago, those are the seven states I had listed. If there are others, someone please speak up.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Based on the research I did on the high school shot clock three years ago, those are the seven states I had listed. If there are others, someone please speak up.
As Snaqs mentions WA has put in a shot clock for both boys and girls.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue May 18, 2010 at 07:58am.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oregon does not and has never had a shot clock for either boys or girls.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Oregon does not and has never had a shot clock for either boys or girls.
I thought that too, Camron, when I read his post and believe that he meant to write Washington in that location, since the shot clock for girls in that state preceded the adoption of one for the boys.

However, since I wasn't certain if I was the one who was mixing up the those two states, I didn't mention it and left the correcting to someone such as yourself from the Portland area. I know that we have a number of people on this site from that area and was sure that we'd get a clarification soon.