The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I was reading the case book last evening. Under 8.2 Comment it talks about free throws taken by the wrong shooter. It talks about what to do if it was "due to a justifiable misunderstanding", and what to do if it's deliberate cheating. Has anyone ever seen this happen where it was deliberate? Has anyone ever called it, or seen it called?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen it.

I wasn't the one that called it.

The official caught hell for it, later.

I thought it was a good call.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
From whom?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Other officials, who thought he should have just got the right shooter and put him on the line.

A1 is fouled as he passes the ball to A2.
The foul was at the top of the key.
A1 lines up for 1 & 1.
30 second TO.
A2 lines up and L starts to bounce the ball to him when C realiuzes he isn't the shooter.
WHACK!

A2 was A's best player and FT shooter. I don't think the coach had anything to do with it but I'm feel pretty good about A2's intentions. And, of course, it was during a holiday toruney, with a bunch of officials in Amen! corner.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

you can bet it happened ...

or it wouldn't be in the book.

I too saw it happen in a tournament that I was watching.

After TO A2 was supposed to shoot and A1 went to the line.
But, it was the players who came up with the idea.

After the first shot, the it was the coach for A that caught the mistake and corrected it.

(pie in the referees face)

He also pulled A1 in a close game.

The coach was quite a disciplinarian to say the least, old school etc.,

Needless to say we also never let our comrades forget about it ... (g)

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

My father saw it happen in a game back when he was a ref. The wrong player comes to the line after a TO. The ref says, "no, number XX is my shooter." The player responds, "But I'm a better free-throw shooter." Whack! Probably ought to look into his academic eligibility as well
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I was reading the case book last evening. Under 8.2 Comment it talks about free throws taken by the wrong shooter. It talks about what to do if it was "due to a justifiable misunderstanding", and what to do if it's deliberate cheating. Has anyone ever seen this happen where it was deliberate? Has anyone ever called it, or seen it called?
Cold, slow night in Portland? My son lives in Olympia and said they got a little over 10" of snow -- closed work for 2 days. He said Oly rarely ever gets that amount of snow, probably the same for you guys.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Cold, slow night in Portland? My son lives in Olympia and said they got a little over 10" of snow -- closed work for 2 days. He said Oly rarely ever gets that amount of snow, probably the same for you guys.
Yes, we only got about 6 or 8 inches, but it was solid ice, literally. Roofs collapsing, people ending up in the hospital when ice fell on them, etc. etc. Everything shut down Tuesday through Friday, and just getting back in motion today. Even the airport was closed until Friday afternoon. Cancelled something like 750 flights. They showed shots on the news of someone ice skating on a football field here in town -- spins, twirls, jumps the whole bit.

Our association (PBOA) cancelled something like 500 games -- well, postponed, really. It's been quite an episode.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 12:51am
We don't rent pigs

Re: you can bet it happened ...

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
The coach was quite a disciplinarian to say the least, old school etc.,

Thanks
David
My high school coach (weren't they all old school back in the seventies?) taught us this trick. Best shooter go to the line. Most of the time the refs won't know the difference. I agree that it is hard to keep up with the shooter, and it is something that I am constantly trying to improve.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Damned if you do...damned if you don't!!!

Just call your game!!!
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised to read this thread this morning as we were just talking about this situation in the car Friday night. I thought it would be really tough to prove that the player went to the line on purpose. I thought the only way to prove skullduggery would be to overhear a coach or player say they were going to go to the line in place of the real shooter. We concluded the best way is to have a solid preliminary signal calling out the shooters number before going to the table to report the foul. Two heads have a slight chance to remember the right shooter.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

The officials manuel gives the key where it says to state the shooters number to our partner before going to the table to report the foul. This is something I just started doing this season. I used to just tell my partner whether it was a throwin or how many shots. Then after reporting, I would make sure I had the right shooter. Now it is part of my mechanics while calling the foul. I like it and everyone including the coach knows who is shooting. For timeouts we tell each other (for free throws) who the shooter is each time.
No so far jsut lucky I guess but have not had the wrong shooter a tthe line. Not sure how you could say it was intentional if you do not hear a comment to that effect.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
I worked a game Monday night where the players all had burr haricuts and headbands. And there is no ethnic diversity on the team either. Anyway, my parnter calls a foul on white, and I'm screened by two other players and didn't see what he had or who he had it on. Since he does NCAA men, I'm not too worried about the wrong shooter going to the line...right? WRONG! Red 31 and Red 32 look just alike with the hair all buzzed off and the headbands. They are about the same height, same size and both play forward positions. Only difference is 31 can't shoot the broad side of a barn...and 32 is fairly decent (and left handed). Well, we get them set up in the lane and the opposing coach starts going nuts about the wrong shooter being at the line. Partner asks me, I explain I was screened, and he goes with the kid who is at the line. ??? A little later, one of us calls a foul that puts 31 on the line and he stinks! After seeing that, I'm about 98% sure that the wrong kid was on the line, but only the game film (which has been requested) will tell.

Bottom Line: It does happen.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

It's a habit now when TO's are requested that I tell my partner who is shooting or who has possession for the throw in. I think it gets easier the more you slow down. The hard part for me is concentrating when I am reporting the foul to the table and a coach is yelling for a TO at the same time. First things first. I tell my partner the number of the shooter then I deal with the TO. After the TO is administered with the table, I repeat the number of the shooter or who has possession.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

How I learned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
It's a habit now when TO's are requested that I tell my partner who is shooting or who has possession for the throw in. I think it gets easier the more you slow down. The hard part for me is concentrating when I am reporting the foul to the table and a coach is yelling for a TO at the same time. First things first. I tell my partner the number of the shooter then I deal with the TO. After the TO is administered with the table, I repeat the number of the shooter or who has possession.
I do the same thing you do.

Here is how I learned:
In my first year I called a shooting foul, reported and gave a TO. My partner who was teaching me a lesson, asked who was the shooter, I replied I don't know. Since then, I always let my partner know the shooter or whats next before officially notifying the table to start the clock.