The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

ref clinic?

I am in serious need of advice. The league in which I'm coaching has had me reffing quite a few of the games. Now they've asked me to be the head of the referees committee. The problem is...I'm not a certified ref! I've never taken a class or attended a clinic. To compound my problem, I'm an American missionary living in Malawi, Africa...so we're using FIBA rules (which aren't too different, but different enough so that I have to relearn some of the smaller details).

The league has asked me to put on some ref clinics, but I haven't the slightest clue how to [I]properly[I] run one. Could you guys give me some pointers...PLEASE!!! Is this a one day thing? Do we need to have a full week's worth of classes? What have you profitted from the most during referee clinics you've attended in the past? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

If you have to set up your own clinic you could look at some of the training documents set up by CABO (Canadian Assoc of Basketball Officials) (CABO CANADA). Under the certification tab there are powerpoint presentations and evaluation guidelines that have been put in place here. There are also videos on the site that you could use for your training camp. Depending on what the aim of your clinic is you could go as deep as you want.