The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'll match your Billy Packer with two Doris Burkes

She's even more of an idiot than him, if that's possible. Someone please put me out of my misery. Okay UConn has it all sewed up. By-bye TV for the night.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 10:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I dunno, Juulie. She looks like a normal coach to me. Of course, I'm using Coach K as the standard.

Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 05:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I enjoyed the game last night. While UConn is very, very good (obviously), they showed how to take Griner out of her game......like a typical "big wo-man," run, run, run. She was pooped.

Anyone else see the interview with Coach Auriemma before the game? Wow?! Bottom line - he'd only leave the ladies game to coach the men's game if he were offered Duke or NC. Ok, just Duke. Nothing else would do.....
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 08:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I dunno, Juulie. She looks like a normal coach to me. Of course, I'm using Coach K as the standard.

Uhhh, Mark, isn't that Kim Mulkey, the coach at Baylor?
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I enjoyed the game last night. While UConn is very, very good (obviously), they showed how to take Griner out of her game......like a typical "big wo-man," run, run, run. She was pooped.

Anyone else see the interview with Coach Auriemma before the game? Wow?! Bottom line - he'd only leave the ladies game to coach the men's game if he were offered Duke or NC. Ok, just Duke. Nothing else would do.....
I enjoyed both games. Especially since Stanford won. I thought the officials did a great job, of course.

I just got so tired of listening to the announcers. Doris Burke is just so STUPID. same stupid tired cliches of overstatement and announcer-speak. A certain portion of the game, I just turned the sound down and didn't listen.

and totally oriented toward Maya Moore. Even when someone else fouled, or made a shot, or got schooled or whatever it was all about how Maya Moore was affected, or how Maya Moore felt, or the times Maya Moore had done that. Even during the Stanford game, they kept showing how people would have to deal with Maya Moore or how she'd affect them.

I mean she's good, yea! And very pretty, graceful, athletic, smart, talented, etc, etc, etc... But there were a number of other women playing, and I'd have liked to know at least a little about them, and NOT what they thought about Maya Moore!

Does anyone who cares think Stanford can win on Tuesday? Much as I'd love to think so, I just can't see it. Rut talks about parity, and how the women's game doesn't have it. I really see his point. It's like there's this WNBA team playing in the NCAA bracket. Stanford's probably at the top of the rest of them, although even that might be debatable. But UConn just isn't even in the same league, seems to me. Darn it....
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 09:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

From what I've seen, Juulie, I don't see it happening. That said, teams win games all the time they had no chance to win. If you put Northern Iowa against Kansas men in 50 games, Kansas wins 49 of them.

That said, I see the parity issue in high school around here as well. Boys teams come and go, with some fluxuation in which teams dominate in a given year. Obviously, there are exceptional programs that are "in it" every year. In girls, however, there are certain programs that are just never in it; and some programs that dominate every year. After a while, the talent just starts magically migrating (public schools, so no "recruiting") to the top schools. The fact remains, there just isn't enough talent on the female side to go around.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 09:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Maya Moore - I mean she's good, yea! And very pretty, graceful, athletic, smart, talented, etc, etc, etc... But there were a number of other women playing, and I'd have liked to know at least a little about them, and NOT what they thought about Maya Moore!
Concur. But this is like being on the court with Kobe, Lebron, MJ, Wilt, etc. You're just there.....a teamamate of "the Great One."

Current personal issues aside, the worst TV does at this is Tiger. If you happen to win the golf tourney and beat him by a stroke or two, all they talk about is Tiger - because they believe that's what people want to hear about and see - and for the most part, they're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Does anyone who cares think Stanford can win on Tuesday? Much as I'd love to think so, I just can't see it. Rut talks about parity, and how the women's game doesn't have it. I really see his point. It's like there's this WNBA team playing in the NCAA bracket. Stanford's probably at the top of the rest of them, although even that might be debatable. But UConn just isn't even in the same league, seems to me. Darn it....
I don't think Stanford can win. Geno says he believes parity is on the way and believes all the other schools/players/coaches need to step up their game. He literally "called them out" during the interview. Of course, he also said with graduations, he expects to have an L in Dec next yr - or he would quit! Yes, he said if he didn't lose by Dec next yr he would walk away - and no one believed(s) him.

As was said in another Thread by a Forum member, the only one that can bring UConn down is the one handing out the diplomas........ (paraphrase)
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If you put Northern Iowa against Kansas men in 50 games, Kansas wins 49 of them.
May I respectfully disagree? Kansas would win most, but I'd say more like 7 out of 10. Having watched both teams play multiple times this year, the disparity was not as great as most believed.

Quote:
Current personal issues aside, the worst TV does at this is Tiger.
This drives me crazy. I was a golf fan before Tiger. I used to enjoy watching golf on TV because I got to see so many shots by different styles of players. Now...I get to see Tiger get out of his rental car. I get to watch Tiger put on his golf shoes as the announcer is saying "look how effectively Tiger makes the bunny ears, pulls through and completes the tie of his right shoe. The man can certainly tie shoes." And then we watch him warming up on the putting green, then the driving range, then the putting green. By this time I am usually yelling at the TV, begging to watch some actual competitive golf shots.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 11:19am
Esteemed Participant

Can Stanford win? Of course...

WILL Stanford win? I have no idea. I don't think so, but stranger things have happened. Anyone else remember the 1985 Men's Championship game? No one gave Villanova much of a chance against Georgetown and their star-studded line-up. Took pretty much a perfect game to beat them, but it happened.

Stanford will need some things to go their way...but it could happen.

The problem right now is that there are only a handful of schools out there that the true "stars" of girl's HS ball want to play for. If you are really good, you go to UConn, Tenn., Stanford, or maybe one or two other schools. When there are more "stars" coming out of HS, there will begin to be more parity.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 11:23am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

The early line is UConn by 8. Tim Donaghy called me this morning to see if I wanted to put a dime down on the Huskies.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juulie downs View Post
i enjoyed both games. Especially since stanford won. I thought the officials did a great job, of course.

I just got so tired of listening to the announcers. Doris burke is just so stupid. Same stupid tired cliches of overstatement and announcer-speak. A certain portion of the game, i just turned the sound down and didn't listen.

And totally oriented toward maya moore. Even when someone else fouled, or made a shot, or got schooled or whatever it was all about how maya moore was affected, or how maya moore felt, or the times maya moore had done that. Even during the stanford game, they kept showing how people would have to deal with maya moore or how she'd affect them.

I mean she's good, yea! And very pretty, graceful, athletic, smart, talented, etc, etc, etc... but there were a number of other women playing, and i'd have liked to know at least a little about them, and not what they thought about maya moore!

does anyone who cares think stanford can win on tuesday? Much as i'd love to think so, i just can't see it. Rut talks about parity, and how the women's game doesn't have it. I really see his point. It's like there's this wnba team playing in the ncaa bracket. Stanford's probably at the top of the rest of them, although even that might be debatable. But uconn just isn't even in the same league, seems to me. Darn it....
plus one!

I sure hope stanford can keep it single digits most of the night and late into the 2nd half. Baylor got me all excited when they cut the UCONN lead to four early in the 2nd half last night. Seeing ANYONE challenge the Huskies late into the game would actually make watching the game way more enjoyable.

Last edited by DLH17; Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 11:30am.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2010, 11:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Speaks for me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The fact remains, there just isn't enough talent on the female side to go around.
I did a great many female V games this past yr and agree. There were only a few "good teams" and several schools could only put one or two what I considered skilled players on the court. I hope it gets better and the games become more challenging at all levels.

That being said, our Rec leagues struggle to even put female teams together to compete, no matter how much "bunching" of age groups they do - 9-10, 11-14, 15-18.