The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Unc/uri

Did anyone see the end of the game?

Was the reason for a no call, the fact that the UNC player was pushed by a RI player?
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 12:28pm
In Time Out

couldn't tell if it was a foul and not sure which ref would have seen it. trail probably was blocked, center didn't really have a view of it and the new lead wouldn't be able to tell if the guy tripped or was fouled.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Video?
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Snaq, i am computer illiterate. I wish i knew how.

Edit,

In case anyone is wondering computers arent the only thing im illiterate in.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Video?
UNC advances to NIT final on controversial call - The Dagger - NCAAB Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Looking at the play, the new L (old T) is running to the baseline and probably gets straight lined on the play. The C (who I think would have the best look) has a few bodies between him and where the contact happened; he probably didn't see it through the players in front of him. All this occurred in a split-second.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thanks, he was pushed into him. If there's a call to be made, it's a team control push.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the writer did use the word "egregious", so it makes the story much more believable.

I agree with Snaqs - there are 2 RI players with hands in the back of the NC player that went down, so who caused what, exactly? I don't see a missed call here.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the game on TV and rewound it over and over again. The "C" had the best look at it and was actually in the process of raising his hand. He gets it just to about his waist and lets it go then hustles off the floor. The big question is: Was he going up with a violation or a foul? Obviously the URI player had some nice sliding distance and most people would THINK travel.
My first reaction, prior to replay, and I am sure JR and others will jump on me, was a trip foul. Had he been able to keep his balance I think you have nothing, however, since the player went sprawling across the floor you have to ask yourself "How did the player end up on the floor?" Watching replay I see where there was a scrum and it looks like a URI player contacts a UNC player who in turns causes the URI ball handler to lose balance and hit the floor. The contact prior to all of that I would put down as loose ball incidental since no one was held or displaced. The UNC player tries to cut in front of the URI players, GREAT hustle, ends up going down and IMO knocks the URI dribbler off balance
SINCE I WASN"T THERE, I would really like to know what the C was going to go with before he stopped the hand. But that is just me, I'm curious like a cat!!!

Last edited by Judtech; Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 01:50pm.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Thanks, he was pushed into him. If there's a call to be made, it's a team control push.
1+

-Josh
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The C's best angle was on the URI players with their hands in the back of the UNC player falling to the floor. My first reaction was that any call would be a push (team control), and replay confirmed it. I can see passing on it, too, as the only result of the offensive push was their own player lost the ball.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Clearly a foul. No legal guarding position. Contact created the turnover. Advantage fouler. Good night, the cross body block on the two guys following the play could easily have been a foul. They could have guessed and got a call right in that mix.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I saw the game on TV and rewound it over and over again. The "C" had the best look at it and was actually in the process of raising his hand. He gets it just to about his waist and lets it go then hustles off the floor. The big question is: Was he going up with a violation or a foul? Obviously the URI player had some nice sliding distance and most people would THINK travel.
My first reaction, prior to replay, and I am sure JR and others will jump on me, was a trip foul. Had he been able to keep his balance I think you have nothing, however, since the player went sprawling across the floor you have to ask yourself "How did the player end up on the floor?" Watching replay I see where there was a scrum and it looks like a URI player contacts a UNC player who in turns causes the URI ball handler to lose balance and hit the floor. The contact prior to all of that I would put down as loose ball incidental since no one was held or displaced. The UNC player tries to cut in front of the URI players, GREAT hustle, ends up going down and IMO knocks the URI dribbler off balance
SINCE I WASN"T THERE, I would really like to know what the C was going to go with before he stopped the hand. But that is just me, I'm curious like a cat!!!
Anyone who thinks "travel" on this isn't really paying attention. He never holds the ball.

And that prior contact is only incidental if you ignore all the contact. You can't call the foul on the UNC player here. He was displaced, right into the URI dribbler. It's incidental because the offensive contact simply caused a turnover, it didn't benefit the offense. My guess, since the C held his arm down, is he was going with a TC foul and decided it didn't need called there. Or, he was initially thinking of calling the trip, then replayed the events and realized the "tripper" was pushed into the ball handler.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 02:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Clearly a foul. No legal guarding position. Contact created the turnover. Advantage fouler. Good night, the cross body block on the two guys following the play could easily have been a foul. They could have guessed and got a call right in that mix.
If a defender gets pushed into a ball handler by a teammate of the ball handler, and it causes the ball handler to travel, I'm going with the travel most times. Same principal here.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

SNAQ I will agree that there is NO travel on that play. I was being facetious! However, I don't see how the contact prior to the UNC player tripping the URI player is anything but incidental. Again, from my original view and the replay IMO, this is a good loose ball hustle play by all. However, once the URI player hits the ground you have to ask how he got there. He got there b/c his feet were clipped by the UNC player who was diving on the floor. Now had the URI players been a little more assertive going after the lose ball and not letting the UNC player slip between them, I don't think any of this would have happened
Again, I would have loved to been a fly on the wall and listen to what the officials said about it afterwards. I can hopefully ASSUME he wasn't going with a travel, because then I would have HAD to criticize!!!!
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
When officiating at that level you either see it or don't see it; make the call or non-call from there. Guessing is not an option.