Thread: Unc/uri
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I saw the game on TV and rewound it over and over again. The "C" had the best look at it and was actually in the process of raising his hand. He gets it just to about his waist and lets it go then hustles off the floor. The big question is: Was he going up with a violation or a foul? Obviously the URI player had some nice sliding distance and most people would THINK travel.
My first reaction, prior to replay, and I am sure JR and others will jump on me, was a trip foul. Had he been able to keep his balance I think you have nothing, however, since the player went sprawling across the floor you have to ask yourself "How did the player end up on the floor?" Watching replay I see where there was a scrum and it looks like a URI player contacts a UNC player who in turns causes the URI ball handler to lose balance and hit the floor. The contact prior to all of that I would put down as loose ball incidental since no one was held or displaced. The UNC player tries to cut in front of the URI players, GREAT hustle, ends up going down and IMO knocks the URI dribbler off balance
SINCE I WASN"T THERE, I would really like to know what the C was going to go with before he stopped the hand. But that is just me, I'm curious like a cat!!!
Anyone who thinks "travel" on this isn't really paying attention. He never holds the ball.

And that prior contact is only incidental if you ignore all the contact. You can't call the foul on the UNC player here. He was displaced, right into the URI dribbler. It's incidental because the offensive contact simply caused a turnover, it didn't benefit the offense. My guess, since the C held his arm down, is he was going with a TC foul and decided it didn't need called there. Or, he was initially thinking of calling the trip, then replayed the events and realized the "tripper" was pushed into the ball handler.