The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Crazy rule set

My last games of the season last night were two high school rec games.

The organization that puts the league on is the same one in which I've been doing middle school rec games. I don't understand why the rules are so different.

The middle school leagues use standard NFHS rules, with a couple of modifications (ie press rules).

The high school league, however, uses some wildly different modifications.

Two halves of 25 minutes, running clock. The clock never stops, not even in the last minute (foreshadowing).

No free throws shot. Ever. Should a player get fouled in the act of shooting and miss the shot, his team shall be awarded one point and they will retain possession. Should they make the shot, his team will be awarded three points, and the other team will get possession.

The official doesn't handle the ball prior to an inbounds pass. This becomes especially problematic when reporting a foul, as the players just get it and go.

The biggest problem I ran into last night was in the last minute of a close game. I called a held ball with about fifteen seconds left. There was no possession arrow so we had to go ask the table, which was located about 20 feet off one of the endlines. The clock is still running because of the rules. We had them stop the clock with four seconds left As I'm coming back with blue possession, I see a blue player push a purple player. So I T him up, which gives purple two automatic points and possession. They missed the three to tie it.

Not the way I would make up the rules, but that's just me.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Fun times.........Good luck with that!
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 01:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Two halves of 25 minutes, running clock. The clock never stops, not even in the last minute (foreshadowing)
Are there no timeouts? Does the clock run during halftime? After the game is over, does it keep running?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 03:03pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
There was no possession arrow so we had to go ask the table
Stick a spare whistle (or something of similar size and weight) in the front pants pocket, so that when you're facing the benches, the whistle is on the same side as the bench of the team with the arrow.

I picked that tip up from a veteran in my association, and it works beautifully.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 03:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Stick a spare whistle (or something of similar size and weight) in the front pants pocket, so that when you're facing the benches, the whistle is on the same side as the bench of the team with the arrow.

I picked that tip up from a veteran in my association, and it works beautifully.
Try using a Hickory Farms beefstick. It looks really cool when you move it from one side to the other. Plus - you get a lot of looks from the hot moms.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It also makes you look like a rookie. I'd advise to just remember the arrow, and get out of the habit of switching the whistle from one pocket to the other.

I recognize that's harder to do when one is working multiple youth games on a single day.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 03:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It also makes you look like a rookie. I'd advise to just remember the arrow, and get out of the habit of switching the whistle from one pocket to the other.

I recognize that's harder to do when one is working multiple youth games on a single day.
Well, often officials working those types of games with those crazy rules are newer officials, so they wouldn't look out of place.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Are there no timeouts? Does the clock run during halftime? After the game is over, does it keep running?
Ya, I forgot that part...No timeouts are allowed. They're also allowed to sub on the fly, as in like hockey.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have heard that before, but I wasn't anticipating the lack of an arrow. I did have a spare whistle with me, but didn't even think about it to tell you the truth.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I prefer a rubber band or hair tie around the wrist pointing to the team's bench. It's inconspicuous, less unprofessional looking when you switch it, and it allows you to check to see if your partner agrees with you without having to ask.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupneff View Post
I prefer a rubber band or hair tie around the wrist pointing to the team's bench. It's inconspicuous, less unprofessional looking when you switch it, and it allows you to check to see if your partner agrees with you without having to ask.
This is one of those weird things that's supported in some areas at even the varsity level; while other areas view it as bush-league even in rec ball. Personally, I wouldn't even consider doing it in school ball but would have no problem with someone doing it when they're working three rec games with unreliable table crew.

I would use it as an opportunity to work on my ability to remember the arrow.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 04:38pm.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 04:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Disagree. That's just another rookie move. How can it be more professional when you're wearing something that you can't allow a player to wear, by rule?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only problem with that is players are not allowed to wear bands on the wrists, so officials should also not wear them.

As Bob mentioned, it is a good habit to get into simply remembering the direction of the arrow, rather than using some device.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 04:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
The only problem with that is players are not allowed to wear bands on the wrists, so officials should also not wear them.
Players can't wear wedding rings, either; but we (as in the officials in my area) do. I think it looks unprofessional but this reasoning doesn't mean much to me.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I typically have a tube of Carmex in my pocket during games. Just so happens it makes for a great way to keep track of possession.