The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I have found myself doing this as well, but with a twist. I was watching an evaluator I had at a camp do a game and they would say "Stay Here" if the ball was staying or just point or point and say "That way" if going the other direction. I asked them what their thought process was, and they said it was for a couple of reasons. 1. THEY sometimes mixed up the colors 2. They said that with some uniform colors not being "typical" (red, blue, black white) it was easier than saying Purple, Magenta or any of the other 118 colors in the Crayola box.
I've stolen that little mechanic and have not had any negative feedback. But like always see what your assignors WANT and go from there.
When there is a scramble for a lose ball in the middle third of the court, what way does "Stay Here" indicate?

Stick with the colors. I don't think I've said a wrong color more then once every few years....(when I meant the other color, not getting the call wrong.)

I've pointed the wrong way far more often than saying the wrong color....not a common thing, but relatively speaking.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

In that particular play I would either go with a color or a "That way" with a point. In all honesty it would all depend on where I was positioned. If I am getting taken out by a player diving for a loose ball then I'd go color. VERY difficult to give a hand signal while getting a chop or cross body block! I may be wrong but those types of plays don't happen very often in a game. But that is just me.
I would further add, that I am not adverse to using color and do so on some occasions (can't put a number on it) but this is just a mechanic I picked up that has helped and I like and have had no negative reprecussions (or CONCUSSIONS) for that matter!

Last edited by Judtech; Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 08:14pm.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

All helpful advice. In my experience, it's much easier to get the color right than the point. It is very effective to call out the color and delay the point until you figure out the direction. I have also come to realize that in that moment of panic and doubt it feels like it's taking us weeks to figure out the direction, but almost always nobody notices the delay.

From my experience and observation:
* Early in our careers we want to make the call as quickly as possible. We feel like we're "on it like Blue Bonnet". In reality we're rushing and don't look confident and in control.
* Soon we develop a calm and rhythm to our mechanics. Quick whistles and emphatic salesmanship are held in reserve for close calls.
* At some point we discover the virtue of the little pause, whether to sneak a peek at the benches, or to read the players' body language to help when you're not sure
* Finally we learn to alter our rhythm to control the game, sometimes hustling the ball back into play, sometimes slowing and injecting a deep-breath moment when the pace gets out of control.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 11:15pm.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
All helpful advice. In my experience, it's much easier to get the color right than the point. It is very effective to call out the color and delay the point until you figure out the direction. I have also come to realize that in that moment of panic and doubt it feels like it's taking us weeks to figure out the direction, but almost always nobody notices the delay.

From my experience and observation:
* Early in our careers we want to make the call as quickly as possible. We feel like we're "on it like Blue Bonnet". In reality we're rushing and don't look confident and in control.
* Soon we develop a calm and rhythm to our mechanics. Quick whistles and emphatic salesmanship are held in reserve for close calls.
* At some point we discover the virtue of the little pause, whether to sneak a peek at the benches, or to read the players' body language to help when you're not sure
* Finally we learn to alter our rhythm to control the game, sometimes hustling the ball back into play, sometimes slowing and injecting a deep-breath moment when the pace gets out of control.
Post of the Week.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Post of the Week.
I know it brought a tear to my eye. But I agree
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Stop saying the color, just point.
no, No, NO! ALWAYS say the color. In my opinion, this is not debatable.

We can live with pointing wrong. Worst case is a couple of players look at you funny, you correct it, and go on. If you don't say the color, you look like you are giving in to a player asking you to change the call.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
no, No, NO! ALWAYS say the color. In my opinion, this is not debatable.

We can live with pointing wrong. Worst case is a couple of players look at you funny, you correct it, and go on. If you don't say the color, you look like you are giving in to a player asking you to change the call.
And saying the wrong color and changing doesn't look even more like you caved?
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

I think you may want to look at the symptoms of why you are struggling with this play. Generally, slow down, don't be in a hurry. Many out of bounds plays "call themselves." The players all heading in the other direction is usually a good indication of what happened. Make sure you "see the whole play." If your positioning isn't good, you may only be seeing the middle or finish of the play and therefore not getting the call correct.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And saying the wrong color and changing doesn't look even more like you caved?
It would, but it has to be dramatically less likely to occur than pointing the wrong direction.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 08:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It would, but it has to be dramatically less likely to occur than pointing the wrong direction.
Absolutely, I agree pointing in the wrong direction is more likely; but verbalizing the wrong color looks worse than pointing the wrong direction IMO. Do you have situation A, which looks less bad but happens more often verses sutation B which looks far worse (IMO) but happens rarely (the OP didn't say how often he does it). Which would you rather fix first?

Also, assuming a given official only struggles with B and not A?

Also, I was responding to Texas Aggie who said "If you don't say the color, you look like you are giving in to a player asking you to change the call." Frankly, I disagree with this completely. This looks less like caving than if you delay for a split second.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 08:27am.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I think you may want to look at the symptoms of why you are struggling with this play. Generally, slow down, don't be in a hurry.
Yep, this is a good key and will be a personal POE going forward. That's what I saw on my cards more than once during camp last summer. That, and "enjoy the game," at which I am getting much better. I am hooked.

Kool-aid anyone?