Thread: Hey Rook!
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

All helpful advice. In my experience, it's much easier to get the color right than the point. It is very effective to call out the color and delay the point until you figure out the direction. I have also come to realize that in that moment of panic and doubt it feels like it's taking us weeks to figure out the direction, but almost always nobody notices the delay.

From my experience and observation:
* Early in our careers we want to make the call as quickly as possible. We feel like we're "on it like Blue Bonnet". In reality we're rushing and don't look confident and in control.
* Soon we develop a calm and rhythm to our mechanics. Quick whistles and emphatic salesmanship are held in reserve for close calls.
* At some point we discover the virtue of the little pause, whether to sneak a peek at the benches, or to read the players' body language to help when you're not sure
* Finally we learn to alter our rhythm to control the game, sometimes hustling the ball back into play, sometimes slowing and injecting a deep-breath moment when the pace gets out of control.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 11:15pm.