The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

IMO, they were wrong and shouldn't come back.

Let me preface this by stating that we in Texas spent the entire season hearing from the UIL how important it was that we knew the rules and how to properly enforce them at all times. Lack of proper rules knowledge simply would not be tolerated.

Fast forward to last Saturday. Team A and the officiating crew are on the floor before the start of the 1A state championship game. Team B comes running out with just under 10 minutes on the clock before the start of the game. The second player in their lay-up drill (call him B1) decides that dunk is called for and appropriate...in fact, it was a nice dunk and got a nice reaction from the crowd. The umpire clearly saw the dunk. How, you may ask, do I believe that to be true from my seat in the stands? Because he immediately walked over to the player, put his hand on his back and talked to him. I assumed he was informing the player he had been assessed a techinical foul and getting his number for recording purposes. However, game time arrived and it started with the normal toss.

IMO, the officials in this crew (with the possible exception of the other umpire) should not be rewarded with future state tournament assignments. What are your thoughts.

For the record, I did not attend any of the schools playing at the state tournament last weekend. I do not know anyone who has attended any of those schools and in fact, have never even been to any of those campuses. We just go down to Austin each year for three days of non-stop basketball.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 11:32am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Just not giving them any more good assignments isn't enough. This is what I recommend the governing body do to them:

Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 11:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Yikes Mark!

That's a little harsh even for you! I mean, to do it in a public square?

Sheesh, how are we ever going to develop new officials that way?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I think barring them from further participation in a state tournament is a bit harsh. Also, you must realize that we are told quite sternly that technical fouls are all but off limits on this stage. (trust me I heard it myself) But, I do agree with you that this was a technical foul and deserved to be penalized as such.

The public execution does sound fun though!!
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

A few questions:

Was anyone there from the state office to observe? Do you know for sure the officials were told to enforce the rule on pre-game dunking, for this particular game? Do you know for sure they were told at halftime or after the game that they did not enforce a rule that the state wants enforced? How do you know these officials will actually be be back, or that they did not receive a poor rating for that game? In our state, officials will only work the state finals for a maximum of 3 years, so is there a chance these officials will not be back anyway? In TX, do the coaches have a say in who works the tournament? If so, perhaps these officials are doing what they need to do to work the tournament, and that includes giving the players a warning before starting the game with a T.

Without more information, it's hard to respond directly to your statement of whether they should be back. Do I think all rules should be enforced as written? Yep. However, I also know individual areas and states provide their own interpretations as to what's "right" for that area. In IL, for example, there were plenty of teams that participated in the state tournament with illegal uniforms, without penalty, because the state provided waivers to those teams, on the basis they felt it was not fair to penalize the players for an administrative issue.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Was anyone there from the state office to observe?
-Yep, everyone of em
Do you know for sure the officials were told to enforce the rule on pre-game dunking, for this particular game?
-It's a rule...enforce it.
Do you know for sure they were told at halftime or after the game that they did not enforce a rule that the state wants enforced?
-Nope
How do you know these officials will actually be be back, or that they did not receive a poor rating for that game?
-It's a secret.
In our state, officials will only work the state finals for a maximum of 3 years, so is there a chance these officials will not be back anyway?
-Nope, with the new selection process they can work ever year until they die.
In TX, do the coaches have a say in who works the tournament?
-Nope
If so, perhaps these officials are doing what they need to do to work the tournament, and that includes giving the players a warning before starting the game with a T.
-You could be right, but the rulebook provides nothing for a warning for this infraction.

Not being a smarta$$, just answering so please don't misunderstand my tone. cool?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
That's a little harsh even for you! I mean, to do it in a public square?

Sheesh, how are we ever going to develop new officials that way?
Agreed,
How about we just chop off a body part that they can live miserably without and definitely stop any compromising of the gene pool.

The picture is actually of what's left of "reffs" who had bad mouthed other officials from the stands.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Also, you must realize that we are told quite sternly that technical fouls are all but off limits on this stage. (trust me I heard it myself)
That's absurd; to make this statement and then be upset when officials don't call a pre-game dunk?

BTW and IMO, this is the problem you get by having the custom of the officials blow the whistle when they come onto the court to tell the kids that dunking time is over. They're in the habit of dunking in pre-game warm ups.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's absurd; to make this statement and then be upset when officials don't call a pre-game dunk?

BTW and IMO, this is the problem you get by having the custom of the officials blow the whistle when they come onto the court to tell the kids that dunking time is over. They're in the habit of dunking in pre-game warm ups.

I agree...You'll never hear a whistle from when I walk on the court...only whistles AT me...lol
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
A few questions:

Was anyone there from the state office to observe? Do you know for sure the officials were told to enforce the rule on pre-game dunking, for this particular game? Do you know for sure they were told at halftime or after the game that they did not enforce a rule that the state wants enforced? How do you know these officials will actually be be back, or that they did not receive a poor rating for that game? In our state, officials will only work the state finals for a maximum of 3 years, so is there a chance these officials will not be back anyway? In TX, do the coaches have a say in who works the tournament? If so, perhaps these officials are doing what they need to do to work the tournament, and that includes giving the players a warning before starting the game with a T.

Without more information, it's hard to respond directly to your statement of whether they should be back. Do I think all rules should be enforced as written? Yep. However, I also know individual areas and states provide their own interpretations as to what's "right" for that area. In IL, for example, there were plenty of teams that participated in the state tournament with illegal uniforms, without penalty, because the state provided waivers to those teams, on the basis they felt it was not fair to penalize the players for an administrative issue.
Even though CLH answered your questions I do have a few comments.

While I have no doubt that the officials are told to avoid technicals, the calling of technicals at the state tournament...including the finals...does occur. I have seen them called on both players and a coach.

Given that the UIL Director of Officials has "lectured" officials and chapters during the year for "creatively interpreting and enforcing the rules" I would be surprised the crews were told to blatantly ignore a rule. I do know for a fact that they did not give a handout to the spectators stating which rules they would not be enforcing during those three days of competition

As far as people from the state office being at the games...good lord yes they were there. You constantly saw the Tournament Director and UIL Executive Director (by the way, that man needs to learn how to be short winded...those half time presentation felt like they went on forever). I do not know the Director of Officials well enough to know him on sight from the stands. However, since the officials who worked the semi-finals were evaluated for selection to work the finals he was probably there for all the games as well.

Lastly, no...I do not know if they were told about this situation at half time or after the game. Obviously the 15,000 people in attendance are not allowed inside their room and are not privy to their conversations.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Not being a smarta$$, just answering so please don't misunderstand my tone. cool?
Well, I'm not being a smarta$$ either (this time... ), but the point of my questions was there seems to be some judgement being passed without knowing all the facts involved, that's all. If the tournament director and others were there, then one of two things most likely happened - the officials were downgraded for not enforcing the rules, or they were told to handle it just as they did. If they were told to enforce it that way, then it doesn't make sense to say they don't deserve to work the tournament any more. They could've also been told by their local assignor or association to enforce it that way, and were not told to handle it any differently for that particular game. So, if they are following orders, who are we to say they're not good enough to work any more tournament games?

Yes, there are officials that don't know all the rules, or purposely ignore rules they don't agree with. But there's an excellent chance the officials working that particular game were pretty good officials, so without any additional information I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

[intermission]

CLH - is that image in your sig line link Sammy Hagar's autograph?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

nah, its mine, i forgot it was on there, I was just playing with that stuff one day, forgot to take it down
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

you're the red rocker??!!!!???
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 02:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
you're the red rocker??!!!!???
You mean this guy?

Actually - the "red" rocker was a guy named Lennon (rhymes with Lenin). That's a 60s reference.