View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

IMO, they were wrong and shouldn't come back.

Let me preface this by stating that we in Texas spent the entire season hearing from the UIL how important it was that we knew the rules and how to properly enforce them at all times. Lack of proper rules knowledge simply would not be tolerated.

Fast forward to last Saturday. Team A and the officiating crew are on the floor before the start of the 1A state championship game. Team B comes running out with just under 10 minutes on the clock before the start of the game. The second player in their lay-up drill (call him B1) decides that dunk is called for and appropriate...in fact, it was a nice dunk and got a nice reaction from the crowd. The umpire clearly saw the dunk. How, you may ask, do I believe that to be true from my seat in the stands? Because he immediately walked over to the player, put his hand on his back and talked to him. I assumed he was informing the player he had been assessed a techinical foul and getting his number for recording purposes. However, game time arrived and it started with the normal toss.

IMO, the officials in this crew (with the possible exception of the other umpire) should not be rewarded with future state tournament assignments. What are your thoughts.

For the record, I did not attend any of the schools playing at the state tournament last weekend. I do not know anyone who has attended any of those schools and in fact, have never even been to any of those campuses. We just go down to Austin each year for three days of non-stop basketball.