The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
SDSU v. New Mexico, Shot Clock Violation?

Disclaimer: I attend SDSU, and so may be a bit biased

Anyone watching the SDSU v. New Mexico game? With 2:22 left in second half New Mexico drives for a layup and hit no rim. Offensive rebound by New Mexico, but shot clock expires before the ball is out of shooters hand. Officials either do not hear the buzzer, or just miss it. Steve Fisher requests a time out immediately after the play and (I think) asks the officials to review the shot on the monitor. Replays clearly show the shot clock expired before the ball was ever released, yet the officials do not overturn the basket. Is there a particular NCAA rule where they are not allowed to overturn this shot? Or did the officials just kick it?

Edit: They just missed a shot clock violation on SDSU as well with about 11.2 sec to go. Now they have to figure out where to put the game clock. Announcers say this is the second time SDSU has been burned, and I tend to agree :S

2nd Edit: This would be a good game to watch for newer officials so they can learn why game/situational awareness is so important.

Last edited by Kingsman1288; Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 11:06pm.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rulebook Pg 51 Rule 2 Art 3-b

Art. 3. When there is a reading of zeros on the game clock and after making a
call on the playing court, the officials shall use such available equipment in
the following situations:

b. Determine whether a shot-clock violation occurred before the reading of
zeros on the game clock at the end of the first half, or at the end of the
second half/extra period only when necessary to determine the outcome
of a game.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
Disclaimer: I attend SDSU, and so may be a bit biased

Anyone watching the SDSU v. New Mexico game? With 2:22 left in second half New Mexico drives for a layup and hit no rim. Offensive rebound by New Mexico, but shot clock expires before the ball is out of shooters hand. Officials either do not hear the buzzer, or just miss it. Steve Fisher requests a time out immediately after the play and (I think) asks the officials to review the shot on the monitor. Replays clearly show the shot clock expired before the ball was ever released, yet the officials do not overturn the basket. Is there a particular NCAA rule where they are not allowed to overturn this shot? Or did the officials just kick it?
There was a similar situation during Georgia Tech v. Maryland; Maryland was trailing by 2, a shot by GT didn't hit the ring, the ball was tapped and a GT player dunked it. I heard the buzzer when the ball was clearly in the hands of the dunker and the replay confirmed my opinion. However the officials counted the basket.

Some plays after this, it seemed that they checked on the monitor whether to reset the shot clock after a scramble following a try which didn't hit the ring; the ball had been given Maryland for AP, with 7 seconds left on the shot clock (and 31 on the clock, IIRC); Maryland was still trailing by 2.

Ciao