The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   so much fun...and nightmare (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57527-so-much-fun-nightmare.html)

Loudwhistle Fri Mar 12, 2010 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 668079)
If there was a ref in the stands yelling at me about my calls, I'd smack that jacka$$ upside the head with a frying pan.

Or - maybe give him one of these. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...es/nutkick.gif

Also, I'd eject him from the gym and if he didn't leave, have him arrested for trespassing, which we can do under state law here in Oregon.

Mark,
Having a hard time reading you here, are you saying it REALLY p!sses you off?

26 Year Gap Fri Mar 12, 2010 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 668083)
Funny you have that pic. that is exactly what I do to officials who make bad calls.:D There are no bad calls.....some are just better than others.(old too I supose):rolleyes:

Thought the Yukon reference was fitting.

bob jenkins Fri Mar 12, 2010 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 667985)
Bring on the stupidity!!!!!!!;)

You've got enough for all of us.

CMHCoachNRef Fri Mar 12, 2010 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 668067)
We do. Our members have to follow all of our association's rules and regulations as a condition of membership. Our constitution is written to reflect all of those and the penalties are laid out for failing to do so also. And the members themselves set and approve by majority vote all of our various rules, regulations and penalties. And there is an appeal process in place for all discipline procedures too. We have a member who is an attorney and we had the constitution vetted by him for compliance with any laws that might be applicable.

I also do know that IAABO associations(boards) can also similary suspend, expel and/or fine their members for failing to follow their association rules and regulations. They have a set appeal process also.

That's why we don't have to put up with the mutantduckies of the world. If they don't want to act within our set rules of professionalism, we don't want 'em or need 'em. It's Hasta La Vista, fanboy. Go sit in the stands with the other fanboys and feel free to do whatever you want to do.

JR,
I hate to hijack Mutant's thread, but I am thinking he may not mind at this point. If you would have an official in your association who complained enough during a game that a fellow member filed a complaint with your association, what action would your association likely take (assuming the complaining was substantiated similar to the admission in this thread)? Would the action be taken based on what the NFHS Offiicials Manual, Rules Books, etc. say, would the action be based on a clause in the State HS manual or would the action be based on a clause within the rules of your association?

Just curious. Thanks.

AKOFL Fri Mar 12, 2010 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 668091)
Thought the Yukon reference was fitting.

quite.;)

Jurassic Referee Fri Mar 12, 2010 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 668095)
If you would have an official in your association who complained enough during a game that a fellow member filed a complaint with your association, what action would your association likely take (assuming the complaining was substantiated similar to the admission in this thread)? Would the action be taken based on what the NFHS Offiicials Manual, Rules Books, etc. say, would the action be based on a clause in the State HS manual or would the action be based on a clause within the rules of your association?

We don't need a complaint to be filed to do something about an incident like this. If we find out about one of our members doing something like what was described in the OP, we'd take immediate action. And we would take that action based on our own written constitution and it's attendant rules and regulations. One of our major no-no's is that you don't criticize fellow officials publicly or privately with coachs, players and especially fans.

Our local constitution is fairly similar to most IAABO constitutions. To be quite honest, we stole a lot of things years ago from their template(BillyMac just had an orgasm :D). Check out this representative IAABO website:

IAABO 31 Home Page

Click on "CONSTITUTION" and check out ArticleV Section 1 as well as the penalties listed under that. Our constitution is similar in some but not all areas.

If we run into a situation locally like the one in this thread, we'd bring the official in for a good talk. We'd explain the reasons why we implemented the rule and why we don't allow any exceptions. We also explain the consequences if it ever happens again. Second time is a fine and/or suspension. Third time is Sayonara. Believe it or not, this ain't that uncommon either, especially in newer officials who are going through that "I know everything about officiating" stage that we all went through.....until we learned just how much we still had to learn.:eek: The first discipline stage seems to work usually if they really are interested in advancing in the future as an official. If not, they usually weed themselves out anyway. Or they stick around and complain that they're in their seventh year and they're still not getting varsity games.:rolleyes: