The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   so much fun...and nightmare (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57527-so-much-fun-nightmare.html)

Jurassic Referee Fri Mar 12, 2010 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 668047)
I'd rather not be a robot and sit there evaluating the refs. Better being involved in the game, yelling things like COME ON REF, etc, etc. I didn't yell too much and a lot was for the teams and not against the refs. Not fun always being neutral.

You just don't get it, do you, fanboy?

Too bad. And sad.

AKOFL Fri Mar 12, 2010 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 668036)
Try Pat McCrotch. :p

how about Richard Crainium. Sounds fitting.:D

Loudwhistle Fri Mar 12, 2010 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodwillref (Post 668024)
could you please post your schedule next year so we can come yell at you...you are a complete a$$ hat!!!!

+1

Judtech Fri Mar 12, 2010 04:23pm

I go with:
Lance Aboyal
R. J. Nabisco
John Coctoastansenjen
Lou Natic
Billy Gene King - Bug Busters
Fuzzy Liftingdrink

Loudwhistle Fri Mar 12, 2010 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 668039)
waaaa. don't be such sourpusses. I love it when I'm reffing games and the fans are loud. As long as they don't cross the line it's all good. The bigger the crowd the better the game. My yelling was good natured and when others were yelling too. packed house. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary or anything like yelling when it was silent or bad mouthing them.
Gee just because your a ref you should just sit and watch the game silently. please. What about other sports? what about March Madness. I know I'll be yelling at the tv and having a good time. I had a lot of fun being a fan and critiquing the refs as well who I already said did just fine. The game is a lot more fun when you are actually trying to be involved in it.

Reminds me of Lonesome Dove when they hung Jake, "He done crossed the line!" Anybody got rope?

CMHCoachNRef Fri Mar 12, 2010 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 668017)
+1...especially for the "embarassment".

Our association suspends officials for acts like that. Perception is reality to fans watching someone yelling at officials.

There is a very fine line between "being involved in the game" and "being openly critical of the officials." A friend of mine got into some trouble for this years ago. I don't know that we have the power to suspend an independent contractor as an association. I am sure that the OHSAA can, though.

It is not realistic to be quiet during a game, but, if folks around you KNOW that you are an official AND you berate fellow officials, you are by your actions, condoning such activity. This is not a good idea. An occasional comment can be accepted, but incessant yelling can get you into trouble.

Mutant, enjoy the game, yell for your team all you want, just be careful not to cross that line.

mutantducky Fri Mar 12, 2010 05:02pm

I didn't. And posting here for a while you realize that some posters like Jurassic are just crybabies. According to him it seems refs never make mistakes and god forbid if you point it out and when they do Only he is the rightful judge on if they messed up. I've had other refs watch my games with their kids their or if they are alumni and they made similar comments to what I did. No big deal. There was another thread about a ref doing that all the time but mine was just some mild yelling in with a crowd of people also yelling and cheering.

bradfordwilkins Fri Mar 12, 2010 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 668047)
". I'd rather not be a robot and sit there evaluating the refs. Better being involved in the game, yelling things like COME ON REF, etc, etc. I didn't yell too much and a lot was for the teams and not against the refs. Not fun always being neutral.

Nobody is saying sit like a robot. Weare saying yell encouraging things for your team all you want - this means Go team, nice shot, DEFENSE, way to go, MVP, etc. Positive things. I would tell the same to any parent or fan -- but for a referee to think bashing and egging on the referees is appropriate... I don't understand how you think that is right.

Jurassic Referee Fri Mar 12, 2010 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 668059)
I don't know that we have the power to suspend an independent contractor as an association.

We do. Our members have to follow all of our association's rules and regulations as a condition of membership. Our constitution is written to reflect all of those and the penalties are laid out for failing to do so also. And the members themselves set and approve by majority vote all of our various rules, regulations and penalties. And there is an appeal process in place for all discipline procedures too. We have a member who is an attorney and we had the constitution vetted by him for compliance with any laws that might be applicable.

I also do know that IAABO associations(boards) can also similary suspend, expel and/or fine their members for failing to follow their association rules and regulations. They have a set appeal process also.

That's why we don't have to put up with the mutantduckies of the world. If they don't want to act within our set rules of professionalism, we don't want 'em or need 'em. It's Hasta La Vista, fanboy. Go sit in the stands with the other fanboys and feel free to do whatever you want to do.

Rooster Fri Mar 12, 2010 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 668063)
nobody is saying sit like a robot. Weare saying yell encouraging things for your team all you want - this means go team, nice shot, defense, way to go, mvp, etc. Positive things. I would tell the same to any parent or fan -- but for a referee to think bashing and egging on the referees is appropriate... I don't understand how you think that is right.

+1

26 Year Gap Fri Mar 12, 2010 05:46pm

The REAL nightmare

It may be that word gets back to an assignor or two.

I usually will sit in the referee cheering section when I attend games. Sometimes it is just me, sometimes there will be others. We may voice observations to one another, but we also will give kudos to a great call...especially an off ball call. I watch games totally differently now. Point is, we are NOT on the floor. We do NOT have the same angles. And if our opinion is needed by the crew, we will be asked.

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 12, 2010 05:51pm

If there was a ref in the stands yelling at me about my calls, I'd smack that jacka$$ upside the head with a frying pan.

Or - maybe give him one of these. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...es/nutkick.gif

Also, I'd eject him from the gym and if he didn't leave, have him arrested for trespassing, which we can do under state law here in Oregon.

AKOFL Fri Mar 12, 2010 06:00pm

the only time i give other officials a hard time is when it is one of my good friends. Even then it is good natured things like "hey reff, I found your cell phone and you have 4 missed calls. that is alot of fun for us in our association. I have a hard time believiing our friend here was really giving the officials a seriously hard time. i hope it was only good natured ribbing that I would get a kick out of if my friends were doing it to me. Anything else is off limits.;)

26 Year Gap Fri Mar 12, 2010 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 668081)
the only time i give other officials a hard time is when it is one of my good friends. Even then it is good natured things like "hey reff, I found your cell phone and you have 4 missed calls. that is alot of fun for us in our association. I have a hard time believiing our friend here was really giving the officials a seriously hard time. i hope it was only good natured ribbing that I would get a kick out of if my friends were doing it to me. Anything else is off limits.;)

That 'joke' is so overused, that you should have been ejected the old fashioned way.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vwt55TQq-3...+off+stage.jpg

AKOFL Fri Mar 12, 2010 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 668082)
That 'joke' is so overused, that you should have been ejected the old fashioned way.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vwt55TQq-3...+off+stage.jpg

Funny you have that pic. that is exactly what I do to officials who make bad calls.:D There are no bad calls.....some are just better than others.(old too I supose):rolleyes: