The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
:+1 for depends on official. Some have short fuses just like everywhere else.
Last rec league I played in was back in the 90's. I was called for a block on a fast break. (I hadn't bothered to run down on offense) I sort of smirked but didn't make a show or anything. I was standing by the referee during the FT's and subs and asked it it was a block b/c I moved. He said Yes. I said but wouldn't moving have required effort on my part. He said yes. I said Have I done ANYTHING in this game to signify that I would make ANY extra effort when standing is soooo much easier? Then I walked away smiling thinking I had made a funny. I got T'd. The other official thought it was funny!
And some officials have shorter fuses in wreck games than when they're working other games.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Sorry for the misscommunication. I coach and play, but not at the same time. I coach young kids, and this particular situation happened while I was the player.

I'll try to curb the point and stuff next time. Thanks for the input.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:39am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
and some officials have shorter fuses in wreck games than when they're working real games.
:d
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
He said he pointed to the endline when the opposing player stepped OOB, not too many coaches would be in position to do this.

Like I said, I'm fine with players pointing once the I've blown my whislte, they do it all the time. But when I point the other way, they should just start moving into defensive position rather than argue it with me.

I do, however, get annoyed when, during play, a player points to the line (to indicate the opponent stepped OOB) or makes a traveling signal. He may as well start counting out loud for me. I'll take less of this than "traveling" from the coach.
I agree....but, I've seen coaches wander from the coaching box all the way down the end line. This being wreck league, that scenario is very possible.

Moot point, though, now that commcoach explained himself.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I agree....but, I've seen coaches wander from the coaching box all the way down the end line. This being wreck league, that scenario is very possible.
True, but if that was the case, I wouldn't be talking to him about pointing. If he's out of the box that far and trying to influence my calls.... Let's just say he won't have to worry about the boundaries of the coaching box the rest of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Moot point, though, now that commcoach explained himself.
And this is where I get to say, ""
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 12:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by commcoach View Post
Sorry for the misscommunication. I coach and play, but not at the same time. I coach young kids, and this particular situation happened while I was the player.

I'll try to curb the point and stuff next time. Thanks for the input.
That would no doubt be appreciated. I look for player help IF I am working alone. But if you find it difficult to dispense with the pointing, maybe you should look into taking an officiating class for next season. Maybe there is an official inside your player/coach's body just screaming to get out.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 12:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Good Point Gapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Maybe there is an official inside your player/coach's body just screaming to get out.
There was in mine.....and several other's on the Forum!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but if that was the case, I wouldn't be talking to him about pointing. If he's out of the box that far and trying to influence my calls.... Let's just say he won't have to worry about the boundaries of the coaching box the rest of the game.
Good point.

Quote:
And this is where I get to say, ""
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And some officials have shorter fuses in wreck games than when they're working other games.
Yeah, I know. I wasn't trying to be confrontational about any of it. I wasn't really ticked off about the "T" either. It was what it was, I didn't take it as any big deal and just kept playing the game, and eliminated interaction with that official!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Yeah, I know. I wasn't trying to be confrontational about any of it. I wasn't really ticked off about the "T" either. It was what it was, I didn't take it as any big deal and just kept playing the game, and eliminated interaction with that official!
Oh, I was laughing because even in a men's rec game I'd find that hilarious. I would have responded, "Hey, I was just as surprised as you."
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Back in the days when I did wreck league 9/10 times on close calls where one player did something like this I always went the other way. Needless to say there is usually one sharp tool on the team that picks up on this and gets the player to stop. I dont need to say anything to get them to stop my actions speak for themselves.

Same with 3 seconds count and block.charge. I could care less what you do. However what you do does influence my call