The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Can't comprehend this one (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57455-cant-comprehend-one.html)

rsl Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:12am

Can't comprehend this one

A up by two points, five seconds left, A1 shooting two foul shots. A1 misses first shot, and yells sh-- for the entire gym to hear because he is mad at himself.

No choice but to T, he misses the second shot, the other team hits both technical free throws. Team A goes on to lose in overtime.

Oh, did I mention- A1 has only one arm and has played an absolutely amazing game up until then.

BillyMac Sun Mar 07, 2010 09:18am

Actually, There Is A Choice Here ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsl (Post 666749)
A up by two points, five seconds left, A1 shooting two foul shots. A1 misses first shot, and yells sh-- for the entire gym to hear because he is mad at himself. No choice but to T.

Let the games begin.

jeffpea Sun Mar 07, 2010 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsl (Post 666749)
A up by two points, five seconds left, A1 shooting two foul shots. A1 misses first shot, and yells sh-- for the entire gym to hear because he is mad at himself.

No choice but to T, he misses the second shot, the other team hits both technical free throws. Team A goes on to lose in overtime.

Oh, did I mention- A1 has only one arm and has played an absolutely amazing game up until then.

huh?!?!

deecee Sun Mar 07, 2010 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 666776)
Let the games begin.

This is a tough one. in most cases i do not think that THIS specific word is all that bad. either way I would probably ask my assignor or local association how they would want THIS one handled. I personally would not call this (depends on the level of course - sportsmanship is a sliding scale to some degree and varies by age and level) and it is NOT automatic.

BillyMac Sun Mar 07, 2010 02:19pm

Double Negative Appropriate ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 666817)
It is NOT automatic.

Agree. But I also believe that it is NOT not automatic in some situations (crowd noise, level of game, previous language problems, volume, etc.).

BillyMac Sun Mar 07, 2010 02:22pm

Please Read Carefully Before Commenting ...

Quote:

They would want THIS one handled.

I think that you misread the original post. They would want this one handed.

just another ref Sun Mar 07, 2010 02:23pm

If he yells that word "loud enough for the whole gym to hear," you T him up just for ignorance.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 07, 2010 02:46pm

Quote:

This is a tough one. in most cases i do not think that THIS specific word is all that bad. either way I would probably ask my assignor or local association how they would want THIS one handled. I personally would not call this (depends on the level of course - sportsmanship is a sliding scale to some degree and varies by age and level) and it is NOT automatic.

When the whole gym hears it it is an automatic WHACK at all levels (youth, jr. H.S., H.S., and college).

MTD, Sr.

deecee Sun Mar 07, 2010 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 666828)
I think that you misread the original post. They would want this one handed.

touche

deecee Sun Mar 07, 2010 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 666830)
When the whole gym hears it it is an automatic WHACK at all levels (youth, jr. H.S., H.S., and college).

MTD, Sr.

Mark, is this your personal feeling on the subject or is this the general consensus?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 07, 2010 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 666834)
Mark, is this your personal feeling on the subject or is this the general consensus?

I would be greatly disappointed in any official who would have a problem in charging a player with a TF in this circumstance. This is even a TF in Special Olympics.

MTD, Sr.

rsl Sun Mar 07, 2010 04:34pm

OK, I see everyone's point about this word not being automatic, and I agree.

However, this is a church sponsored rec league- I really had no choice. The league specifically prohibits profanity in the league charter.

However, I think I would have called this in a HS game as well, based on volume and timing. It was just too loud and at that point in time every eye in the gym was on him.

BillyMac Sun Mar 07, 2010 04:45pm

"Double A (Beep Beep) M C O"

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsl (Post 666839)
However, this is a church sponsored league.

Now, with more information in hand, it's an automatic automatic.

Pantherdreams Sun Mar 07, 2010 05:00pm

in this situation automatic whack seems imminent.

Was wondering about if a kid were to go down with an injury (sprained ankle, broken finger) and cursed loudly in pain. Would the association/league expect you to T up that kid. That seems rough.

rsl Sun Mar 07, 2010 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 666843)
Was wondering about if a kid were to go down with an injury (sprained ankle, broken finger) and cursed loudly in pain. Would the association/league expect you to T up that kid. That seems rough.

Actually happened in the same game. My partner is standing next to the downed player (sprained ankle) while I get the coach. Afterwards my partner tells me there may have been an F word heard only by him and a teammate of the downed player.

We didn't hear anything at all. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.